Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 07:12 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Congratulations Michael!! We found time to make #3 many years ago now. We had 3 boys under 5 for a while. Wouldn't change it for the world.
Cheers mate, and you were keen! We're sticking with 2 though, otherwise the little buggers will outnumber us

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Michael - Ferry mate, Ferry!!
I wish, unfortunately she doesn't share the Passion...
Old 09-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Few 991 GT3 starting to pop up, is this due to 991.2 about to be released? Wonder how the versions will proceed, will manual come back, will they make a GT2 etc. Tempting to sell outta the 930, GT3 & upgrade. The silver club sport one looks nice bar the graphics... May go have a look today
Old 09-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
Few 991 GT3 starting to pop up, is this due to 991.2 about to be released? Wonder how the versions will proceed, will manual come back, will they make a GT2 etc. Tempting to sell outta the 930, GT3 & upgrade. The silver club sport one looks nice bar the graphics... May go have a look today
Yes two have come up in the last week. The Agate Grey one sold quickly. I haven't seen any of these on the market for a while till just recently. I believe dealers will be trading them in over the next few months in order to clear them before the 991.2 GT3 is announced.

This car was ordered new by RSG member Watt Webb. He sold the cage before taking delivery of the car. The cage that's in the car is likely an aftermarket one. If you or someone you know buy the car I have the original factory extinguisher and bracket for this car brand new in a box. Watt sold the car when he headed back to the states. I think the car had around 3500km on it at the time and was 12 months old. It looks like the new owner has a "track optic" fetish. I've never seen or heard of the car on the track at any RSG, Playdays or PCNZ track events so I suggest it's all for show but certainly appealing for a new owner should they wish to use the car as intended.

I'm a bit surprised at the price but suspect they have added a "Clubsport premium".

The Rodium silver looks very good with red wheels and highlights. I'll post a picture of one done this way....

PS I have a shark works centre pipe delete and 90mm tips for this car I'd move on, if someone wanted to make it sound much nicer with the valves open...
Old 09-03-2016, 07:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This is a factory produced car with Exclusive options based on Rhodium Silver. Would be easy to replicate for $1800 at the local paint shop. Wheels, wing caps and door mirror lower support in Carmine red.

As far as I know this is the only Rodium Silver 991 GT3 in NZ. There were around 25 officially imported. The majority were white or red but there were 2 x Agate, 1 x Rodium, a few black and GT Silver and a couple of sapphire blue as well.

I see there is also an RS for sale on delivery KM asking 449K. Im guessing that a 10% mark up on teh new price but Im sure it could be negotiated down.

I think one of the main drivers of the GT3s coming up may be RS deliveries. New Zealand got extra RS allocations and i know a few of these are still to be delivered, so perhaps people are trading up.

The next GT3 will be offered with a manual transmission option. It will likely be 4.0L. Retail base around 300K NZD. I expect they will be arriving at our dealers the end of 2017.
Attached Images      
Old 09-03-2016, 08:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

These are up for grabs if anyone knows a local 991 GT3 or 991 RS owner who is interested....

Sharwerks GT3/RS bypass (sounds awesome and saves weight). Hand made sharkwerks 90mm lightweight "RS" exhaust tips in black etc. Cost $3K NZD landed sell $1950 NZD the set...
Attached Images          
Old 09-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Pel
Pro

Thanks Mark, went and had a look, I've seen the car on track before, CCS has the original cage for it, they threw a couple of other options my way so have some thinking to do. My brother has a Sapphire Blue one, its a nice car...
Old 09-03-2016, 10:16 PM
Pel
Pro

They run a warranty at 3k pa for the first 9 years of ownership, covers track days.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Leong72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pel
Thanks Mark, went and had a look, I've seen the car on track before, CCS has the original cage for it, they threw a couple of other options my way so have some thinking to do. My brother has a Sapphire Blue one, its a nice car...
Exciting!! Did you drive it? I saw it on Wednesday when i was getting new tyres on the GT4. Be cool to have another GT3 to chase when Mark's not here
Old 09-04-2016, 12:01 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Leong, finalising banner orders. What did you want?
Old 09-04-2016, 12:12 AM
Pel
Pro

No just kicked the tyres so far, even if this one goes, it's given me food for thought going forward.

I need to simplify my garage (currently have 6 cars for two of us). 100-150k may not be huge dollars in the realm of collector cars, but im not a collector or concourse guy. The SC does everything the 930 does except boost wallop at 1/3rd the price, a newer 911 or my GT3 can provide the speed thrill, making the 930 redundant. But need some time to get my head around it.

Another option is to sell the 930, buy a nice 991C2, keep the 996 GT3 & SC

Thing is, when you consider moving two cars which continually need feeding for one that requires 3k pa plus consumables. It looks like a no brainer...
Old 09-04-2016, 02:28 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I think in a perfect world we'd all benefit from chasing a car fractionally quicker than ours, whilst being chased by a car fractionally slower. I know I do, and we engineer the "grid" for our fast groups accordingly on the past NITT and recent SITT to achieve this.

We ran a 15 car "mixed group" for the SITT which included a real mix of cars and skills from GTs, turbos to 997 Carrera and Boxster S. The slowest cars in our group were generally the least experienced drivers (991TTS and Cayman GT4). I think by the end of the first day we had agreed on a grid strategy that worked well for the rest of the trip. Its fair to say the slowest cars were lapped by the fastest (on occasion twice!). The back markers by the end of the 12-14 sessions had likely been passed by 4-5 cars and were adept by then of the process.

With the faster cars we would often indicate to let the car behind us pass by. Its all very fine being at the pointy end of the field, but by lap 4-5 you are tackling traffic. First lap or two the tyres and brakes are just starting to come "on", laps 3-4 can be fast ones then you are slowed down from 6 onward. Leading allows a shot at PBs but it gets very tiring being "on" for the whole 13 laps with other GT cars nosing up your date. It does encourage consistency but chasing something makes you faster and better than being chased IMO.

I do get your point though John. The best track sessions are usually when you have a partner or two in a group to push you. It was so briefly when Buba and I both had 993; and more recently with Leong in the GT4 on SITT & HD.

Talking of HD, I don't think I'm going to get another shot at that track till Q1 or Q2 2017. That's a 14 month hiatus! Probably a sign of the times a changing. Disappointing tho. Peter and I tried hard and repeatedly for a late Nov/early Dec booking but no joy :-(

How do the RSG brethren (and the lurkers) feel about me/us organizing a half day at the Meremere drag strip in early 2017? Im embarrassed to admit Ive never tried launch control on my GT3 and would relish testing the car against other RLers from around the world who have posted their slip times over the last few years. Currently 11.099 @ 126.8mph for the 1/4 is the bets time to date for the GT3.

Could be a bit of fun and may even settle the Herman vs Lola debate once and for all!
Yes to Meremere.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
No just kicked the tyres so far, even if this one goes, it's given me food for thought going forward.

I need to simplify my garage (currently have 6 cars for two of us). 100-150k may not be huge dollars in the realm of collector cars, but im not a collector or concourse guy. The SC does everything the 930 does except boost wallop at 1/3rd the price, a newer 911 or my GT3 can provide the speed thrill, making the 930 redundant. But need some time to get my head around it.

Another option is to sell the 930, buy a nice 991C2, keep the 996 GT3 & SC

Thing is, when you consider moving two cars which continually need feeding for one that requires 3k pa plus consumables. It looks like a no brainer...
Hi Pel,

Have sent you PM with my views. As you know Im a great fan of consolidation. The GT3 covers all the bases I need it too. Im not nostalgic, nor a collector or a bonnet polisher either. Depends on time in life and where you are at, and having been there and done that etc. To me a 991 GT3 + SC would be a perfect two car blend, but then Im biased!
Old 09-04-2016, 03:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Yes to Meremere.
Thanks Dave. That's two of us then LOL! Ive sent their management an email for pricing and availability. Once I have it Ill put a post up on RSG board and see if there is any interest. They apparently have a drifting and gymkhana pan as well so may see if its viable to take both and mix it up a bit for some fun. Be nice to do something different for once. See how fast Walter and Chris's modded 996TT are off the line!
Old 09-04-2016, 04:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This is faintly ridiculous....

If anyone is wanting a brand new 0 km car same colour and spec as this at 69.9K including ORC, delivered early November let me know. Mine is being built next week. I dont actually need the car till Feb/March 2017 so will order a car for later delivery....
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2016, 05:18 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks Dave. That's two of us then LOL! Ive sent their management an email for pricing and availability. Once I have it Ill put a post up on RSG board and see if there is any interest. They apparently have a drifting and gymkhana pan as well so may see if its viable to take both and mix it up a bit for some fun. Be nice to do something different for once. See how fast Walter and Chris's modded 996TT are off the line!
Although I was never part of that scene, in the late 90's I went a couple of times to the night speed drag wars in my MX5 supercharged club car - still have trouble admitting I had several back then but they are great track cars - and it was great. Can't remember that well but I think 14.8's were what it did vs 17 prior to charging. I bucked the trend and refrained from burn outs in the staging area preferring to run a time as it came rather than look like a dick. I often wondered if they still run those events and would have no problem turning up in a 911 as from memory back then a few modern high value cars turned up and got a good reception from the mostly boy racer crowd. Worth a go if only to understand the potential of the car in controlled conditions and settle some scores with the 964 boys.
And a far distant memory recalls the Porsche club having a day or two there.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?