Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:40 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Same here. Classic GT40 will always be part of my dream garage, for looks as much as anything else.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new NSX, with all the Honda fanboys about...
True lol http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/hon...how-2015-01-14
Old 01-15-2015, 03:05 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new NSX, with all the Honda fanboys about...
Yes - saw pics of this yesterday and was deciding whether I liked it or not.

Some angles are very interesting, but I don't think it's the ground breaking car that was superior to the Porsche and Ferrari models at the time.

With Honda re-entering F1 with McLaren and getting Alonso as the driver, looks like Honda are trying to reinvigorate the glory days of the late 80's and early 90's......
Attached Images   
Old 01-15-2015, 03:40 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I will soon need 2 x replacement rear tyres to match fairly new Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tyres on the front. So I need 2 x 265/35R19s

Tyre rack can't export Bridgestones. Who would you recommend for the likely best deal for NZ supply?

(A full set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport is nz $2300 landed - 235/35R19 and 265/35R19 - so if NZ Bridgestones are too much I may just go the while hog on a new set of MPSSs)
Old 01-15-2015, 04:13 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
I will soon need 2 x replacement rear tyres to match fairly new Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tyres on the front. So I need 2 x 265/35R19s Tyre rack can't export Bridgestones. Who would you recommend for the likely best deal for NZ supply? (A full set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport is nz $2300 landed - 235/35R19 and 265/35R19 - so if NZ Bridgestones are too much I may just go the while hog on a new set of MPSSs)
I spent some time this afternoon on the Design 911 site looking at the same tyre sizes (the R's rears are close to legal minimum). Just checked back and they stock the RE050. Maybe they will export?
Old 01-15-2015, 04:41 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
I will soon need 2 x replacement rear tyres to match fairly new Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tyres on the front. So I need 2 x 265/35R19s

Tyre rack can't export Bridgestones. Who would you recommend for the likely best deal for NZ supply?

(A full set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport is nz $2300 landed - 235/35R19 and 265/35R19 - so if NZ Bridgestones are too much I may just go the while hog on a new set of MPSSs)
$755 each at Hyper - ouch!
Old 01-15-2015, 04:52 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Well it's morning and surprise, surprise, I feel absolutely fine - totally relaxed about it even. It's all just part of what happens when we play this game. I know I get a heck of a lot more out of the highs than I lose from the lows. Yesterday was an awesome day - very cool to have 20 cars out, private track to ourselves, bbq after and the rest of summer still to look forward to.

Michael, just keep it in perspective mate - you are ok and that's a big plus! The car is only metal and wasn't a big shunt anyway. I feel crap for egging you on to have a go so we're all square in those stakes.

And what's worse is that while you could have taken home the Macca cup you got beat by the inevitable 'Miller effect' who thought there's no way he was giving up the cup so easily so promptly drove 3 laps with BBs muffler dragging on the ground...! Chris put it perfectly at the BBQ - Michael's nudge was a 'racing incident' and Paul's was simply an act of gross stupidity!!! Video to follow...

Chin up, don't shy away from the track because of it and remember those highs!
Thanks for taking it so well, you're a legend. But sorry I won't let you take any of the blame for my stuff up. Don't worry about me shying away from the track though, I'm still fizzing from the track time I did get. It'll be strictly in my car from now on though!

I didn't get a chance when I posted the other night to thank you and Macca for organising such a great event. Like others I thought the format was brilliant. Any my apologies to everyone for spoiling the chance to drive the track in reverse
Old 01-15-2015, 04:56 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Bad luck Michael. You can be the second driver of my 911T (after me), because I know you will be the most cautious! Not like those other hangmen, aye?
Ha ha, thanks but no thanks! I've learnt my lesson. Nothing over 150hp.

Your new car looks great, congrats! Taken it for a good drive?
Old 01-15-2015, 05:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Ha ha, thanks but no thanks! I've learnt my lesson. Nothing over 150hp. Your new car looks great, congrats! Taken it for a good drive?
BB is less than 150 hp, join the force that is the Integra
Old 01-15-2015, 05:12 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
BB is less than 150 hp, join the force that is the Integra
^^ Yup - what he said...........

Michael it's probably a no brainer for you mate. The cars are similar speed to your 44 and who gives a toss what happens to them??

You can buy a share in, or someone's share out of BB?
Old 01-15-2015, 05:12 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

And my apologies to everyone for spoiling the chance to drive the track in reverse
Had forgotten about that in all the excitement - wouldn't have been any fun at slow road pace anyway. We'd have all be up each other's bumpers trying to make Gary go faster!!
Old 01-15-2015, 05:17 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^ Yup - what he said........... Michael it's probably a no brainer for you mate. The cars are similar speed to your 44 and who gives a toss what happens to them?? You can buy a share in, or someone's share out of BB?
Happy to let my share go to a good home. Learnt my lesson about jumping out of the race car and into BB without adjusting braking points... Standing on the anchors in BB at the 100 at turn 1 doesn't end well. Lucky those tyres were stuffed already!
Old 01-15-2015, 05:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Happy to let my share go to a good home. Learnt my lesson about jumping out of the race car and into BB without adjusting braking points... Standing on the anchors in BB at the 100 at turn 1 doesn't end well. Lucky those tyres were stuffed already!
Yes and we rebuilt her, faster than before.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:42 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like you all had a blast on the 13th, errr except for Michael....I was working buggerit.

Not much else coming up for a while eh? I might have to see if we can do the same sort of day at Taupo??
Old 01-15-2015, 06:01 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Ha ha, thanks but no thanks! I've learnt my lesson. Nothing over 150hp.

Your new car looks great, congrats! Taken it for a good drive?
Yeah, just tonight. I'm liking it.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:32 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

So, a quick report on the SC.
Very smooth, nice gearbox, a solid bog standard 204bhp SC.
Came to NZ in 89 so seems to be largely rust free. But then again, what would I know?
The original service books are there showing the first UK owners and services.
The mileage is at 92000. It landed here at 60000. The car jam report shows a steady increase year on year since 89 so I believe the mileage to be accurate. The car has had only 4 long term NZ owners, two of which were for 10 years including the last (prior to the dude who just had it a month just now). There is apparently a box of receipts at the last owners place which will be recovered and handed to me. The receipts that were kicking around the car showed a gearbox rebuild at Motorscience in 2004, which was only about 5000 miles ago. It is sweet shifting. The drive home from the shore was interesting, rush hour, 29 degrees, and the heater stuck on full. Not sure what's up there but I've disconnected everything for the summer and will sort that later. There is a slight stutter under load at low revs. The body is good but it's had a few layers of paint over the years and this is starting to look a bit scruffy around the edges. The interior is excellent and everything works. I just ditched the tail. Nothing against tails on 911's but a Turbo tea tray looks heavy on a narrow body car. The rear deck is full of holes now and has no grille so I need a solution there. I might remove the front spoiler for a clean look. I thought I knew quite a bit about IB cars but the front apron has the integrated fog lights of the later 3.2. I always assumed that SC's had the tack on fogs. I prefer none and a plain apron but this will not be possible with the integrated versions. An unspoiled IB sitting quite low is the look IMO.
The plan is to get it how I want it by being resourceful rather than starting to dump lots of money on it. Tempting to do new lenses, refurbish wheels and tidy up some rubber seals but then your'e really just polishing the turd if you don't go the whole way. I will just drive it I think. It's good enough. Will give it a bit of a service and go through the brakes etc just to check. I'm very pleased with it so far.
Previuos plates have been;
911GO
EDWARD
FLY911
I911I
OG3369
Anyone recognise these?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?