Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone desperate for a GT4?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5116068164.html
Old 07-28-2015, 11:06 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by savantx
Based on my quote for a few parts from Conti's this morning I am guessing Pelican Parts is the way to go as well?

Congrats on the 996T! My advice is to shop around for parts prices. E.g. I had a quote for them for a transmission mount ex Aus for approx $600 and the same item i bought from Sunset for a couple of hundred landed. I've been lucky in that the company i use have been generous enough to let me use my own parts. Other shops often don't permit it and is a determining factor of which techs i use.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Congrats on the 996T! My advice is to shop around for parts prices. E.g. I had a quote for them for a transmission mount ex Aus for approx $600 and the same item i bought from Sunset for a couple of hundred landed. I've been lucky in that the company i use have been generous enough to let me use my own parts. Other shops often don't permit it and is a determining factor of which techs i use.
What was wrong with the transmission mount? In some ways I'm dreading the "while I'm in there" possibilities with this engine and gearbox removal.

FWIW: During Dean's time at CCS I was free to bring in the parts from wherever I wanted. Sometimes that was from PP or Design 911, however I also dealt with Steve R.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:55 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers, I don't think the coolant lines have been done. I was planning to drive it for a few months before going to the trouble. Do you have any recommendations on pinning experts? Is Motorscience the go-to? The price of the full service is pretty comparable so I ended up booking in at Conti's.

A quick mover on the blue one??

Also if anyone has a 996 stereo unit they want to part with let me know, I've got a Sony double din unit I would like to change to the original.

Based on my quote for a few parts from Conti's this morning I am guessing Pelican Parts is the way to go as well?
For all I know others may be as good or better but Contis 'pinned' mine and Ron's about a year ago. You could just get them all pinned when the first one lets go, provided you can live with the risk of not noticing it happening and lunching the engine. Luckily my first popped on the motorway with a huge cloud of steam that rivalled a condensation cone (below) so I pulled straight off, and the next two popped on track so I was promptly flagged off each time.

Pelican, Sunset, Suncoast, Rose Passion, Tirerack are a few I've looked at in the past for parts. Apart from cosmetic stuff like lips, I've always been careful to get original Porsche parts or higher.

Rose Passion is one of the few that lets you specify that you have a RHD vehicle. Won't get caught ordering my wipers from the States again...

Name:  800px-FA-18_going_transonic.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  31.0 KB
Old 07-29-2015, 12:58 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
The old rates were $286 so not that much damage done in that case. Much bigger savings on other cars e.g. Golf GTI is down to $147 and Cayenne to $171.

BTW: Whats the update on your '69T?
Unfortunately it was the Mrs's diesel so that was a $400 whack. Never mind, should have ticked the three month box instead of 12.
The T; Well, firstly it's quite a bit newer than you think - 1970! Other than that I know nothing more. Due for another visit. I was hoping to come back to the leather embossing plate all done so that will be a nice surprise if it is. Haven't spoken to Steve specifically about it yet but have a lot to catch up on and the NITT is the first outing in it.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:02 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im keen to get some tuition..

Should I jack something up for the Porsche day in couple of weeks, im thinking it may be a bit crowded to get the most out of it?

Ive spoken to Ray but yet to get a date, also had a quick look at the downforce website.

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated, perhaps send me a PM if easier.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Rose Passion is one of the few that lets you specify that you have a RHD vehicle. Won't get caught ordering my wipers from the States again...
I made the same mistake with a driver door lock mechanism. Had to send it back to PP for a refund.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:21 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

For those not on Facebook
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2015, 03:12 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
What was wrong with the transmission mount? In some ways I'm dreading the "while I'm in there" possibilities with this engine and gearbox removal.

FWIW: During Dean's time at CCS I was free to bring in the parts from wherever I wanted. Sometimes that was from PP or Design 911, however I also dealt with Steve R.
The mount was getting a little tired and needs replacing for preventative reasons. I don't expect it to be too big a job and am going to do it when i replace the rear swaybar. I think the C2 is more difficult.

When i got the parts quote for 2 bumps stops, 2 shock boots and the trans mount it come to a hideous $812. My order from Sunset for the same parts plus an extra 2 swaybar bushings come to a little over $500 shipping included. When i was handed the quote it was with a wry smile and and acknowledgment that I might source my own parts as i commonly do.

Now that i'm committing to a set of PSS10 the boots and bump stops are redundant though i will sell them with the Konis that are currently on the car.

Actually i've gone a bit bonkers the last couple of weeks. A pair of Wevo's, a engine carrier gusset, and a strut brace are also on the way. Lucky i waited until the $ was crap before buying that lot. That said the coilovers are out of the Eu

I have also used Mark at FD Motorsports. He's very responsive, his pricing excellent and has experience exporting to NZ
Old 07-29-2015, 04:15 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

FD Motorsports, Pelican, ECS, Sonnen Porsche, Jim Ellis Porsche.

Between a Porsche Club discount on parts and the climbing USD value, there's little in it for small ticket items, add the hassle of importing and the value of doing so is severely diminished.

I recently had a bunch of coolant and oil lines replaced that were accessible while the engine was out. The delta between USA and locally sourced parts was less than $500 for $3000 worth of kit.

Congratulations on the purchase, you'll have to bring it out for a drive sometime!
Old 07-29-2015, 05:15 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

http://autohaushamilton.com.au/news/...ns-sydney-2016

^^^^ Macca and Razzo, time for a 2016 reunion.

RSG Trip?
Old 07-29-2015, 05:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes the last 6 years have been very kind to us when importing parts from abroad and we mustnt forget that.

I use FD Motorsport for all my US sourced gear. Im a big fan of building stonrg relations with only one or two suppliers. FDM will source almost anything I need and include it in my order from a T shirt to a 600lbft 1/2 torque wrench. As you build business with folks like Mark and Darin they reward.

From Europe I use Gert at Carnewal.com. Havent done that for a long while as USD was weaker against NZD than EURO for many years but he has supplied much of the carbon fibre in the 993 including steering wheel, sfifter, hand brake and door handles (also original HD Bilstein shocks and numerous other parts between 2001-2010.

For UK, Design911 & 911.co.uk.

Very rarely in the last 6-8 years have I bought parts locally but will always do so for very large or very heavy items. I have had work done by Giltraps, CCS and Motorscience and never once has someone refused to put my parts on the car (except for Peter B who was always trying to talk me out of doing modifications - if I had have listened to him Id be 6 figures better off today :-)).

Warwick - sounds like you have a nice little work stream lined up for mr Black. Will be quite a different car to drive once you have finished. All good!
Old 07-29-2015, 05:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
http://autohaushamilton.com.au/news/...ns-sydney-2016

^^^^ Macca and Razzo, time for a 2016 reunion.

RSG Trip?
Hi Mate. I think Jo and I are travelling offshore over that period next year, dependant on a few factors.

You should put together a PCNZ contingent.

It was a good as it gets close to home. You definately need to be a racing enthusiast tho...
Old 07-29-2015, 06:10 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

+964 for Gert @ Carnewel. He's supplying my Bilsteins. Great experience so far.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
+964 for Gert @ Carnewel. He's supplying my Bilsteins. Great experience so far.
Are you going to fit all of this yourself? It's not hard. Well at least I know the front shocks aren't as I did those on the Turbo 3.6. The rears I let Kev Etches do as I didn't have a way to get the rear on the jack stands. Now I can easily do that.

Right now, I'm waiting for the Prestigio driver ed answer. If it comes through I will likely take the R on the 15th and start pulling the engine and gearbox out of Herman sooner. While the gearbox is at Europacific you are welcome to borrow the AC Jack.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?