Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:24 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spend the $2-3k on instruction with Ray or Stu and you'll go far quicker than a 20% power bump.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:28 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
John would be trading down based on his C4 valuation, giving him some cash for preventative maintenance...........
Old 12-28-2014, 01:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
John would be trading down based on his C4 valuation, giving him some cash for preventative maintenance...........
If I sold at the insurance valuation, yes the GT3 would be cheaper. Although to put it perspective, I spent a shed load on things you can't see with Herman that the GT3 would possibly need done as well.

If/when the Turbo 3.6 sells I'll be waiting in the background. I have no doubt the eyes on this forum will keep a look out. Don't tell me about something if it's not fair game!
Old 12-28-2014, 01:27 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Spend the $2-3k on instruction with Ray or Stu and you'll go far quicker than a 20% power bump.
I'm keen. I just need a format that suits my way of learning.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:00 AM
Garry D
Instructor

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm keen. I just need a format that suits my way of learning.
John , Ray and Stu are great to have in the car with you , but if you get the chance Earle Bamber is the man , and that was before he went over sea's
Old 12-28-2014, 02:59 AM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
That car has a large number of stories. If I recall it was a race car - had the computer bolted to the passenger airbag cover hence the wrong color now. It also has the wrong nose on it - it's a 996.1, but has a 996.2 nose on it.

At least one of the recent owners went **** up and did as much as he could on the cheap to get it sold. It's had a lot of the interior replaced. The big question is why has it had all this replaced.?.?.?.?

Buyer beware..........

Some interesting Piston ahead info on 996.1 GT3's and current/future values.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...=20&mid=0&nmt=
Old 12-28-2014, 03:07 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
That car has a large number of stories. If I recall it was a race car - had the computer bolted to the passenger airbag cover hence the wrong color now. It also has the wrong nose on it - it's a 996.1, but has a 996.2 nose on it.

At least one of the recent owners went **** up and did as much as he could on the cheap to get it sold. It's had a lot of the interior replaced. The big question is why has it had all this replaced.?.?.?.?

Buyer beware..........
Yes for sure. I saw the car when it landed in NZ and after it was setup for the Targa etc. My point was more around spending money on a 964 that in reality you could buy a GT3, maybe not this one... but a GT3.

I also agree with the tuition comment and have said this many times before. The cheapest and most effective upgrade is with the driver. Of course it all depends on each of our preferences and for some that might be with a 964 or 993 rather than a 996 etc regardless of what makes sense.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:13 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I'm in the process of finalising the itinerary of Jan and my annual 2 week Easter road trip. It's the South Island for 2015 starting in Wellington on 28 March and ending in Wellington 12 April. Stops at Hamner Springs, Christchurch, tranzscenic alpine train trip to Greymouth and back, Akaroa for a couple of nights, Taeiri Mouth (family crib 2 nights), Te Anau, Milford Sound overnight cruise,

Edit: pressed send by mistake, continued...

Arrowtown for 3 nights (hire bikes and do a few tracks), long run up the West Coast to Punukaiki Resort, Nelson for a couple of nights, Wellington.

We're going to an event in Martinborough the weekend before this trip so will take the car to Wellington and leave it there and fly back to Auckland for the intervening week. I'm also leaving the car in wellington at the end of our trip and will fly down to collect it a couple of weeks later. This gives us maximum time in the South Island (2 weeks) for only 8 days off work.

Just need to organise the weather. It may be a bit early for the best autumn colours and timing doesn't fit for the Playday South Island tracks (earlier in March I think) so it will be cruise mode and relaxed although a few kilometers to cover.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:20 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

I guess you've seen this write up Macca. I've seen this pic in one of the emails you've sent me http://targa.co.nz/userfiles/6-16_NZCC264_Targa.pdf
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2014, 03:22 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Michael has been caught hooning around his neck of the woods..........

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ref=NZH_FBpage

Last edited by kiwi 911; 12-28-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:26 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Michael has been caught hooning around his neck of woods.......... http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ref=NZH_FBpage
Ha ha, can a 944 go that fast (exits stage left and hides)
Old 12-28-2014, 04:28 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not without a cliff and an extra helping of gravity

Could've been a lost Macca?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good run today with a few friends South of Auckland. I think I have the automated telemetry sorted out a bit better now. Take a look. This gives the following channels as a live overlay:

Speed
RPM
Gear selected
G-Force
Brake pressure
Throttle %
Current lap
Best lap
Track Map with position
Intake temperature
Coolant temperature
Date
Time

Ive created 10 different templates of differing styles including ones with instruments at the bottom of the frame rather than the top. There are 100s of styles you can choose from. Im not sure what one I like the most but this one will do for now.

Issue still outstanding include

1). OBDII fires up the system if permanently wired full time after the car is locked. It would see something within the ECU pulses the OBDII and the AIM Solo reads this as a trigger. Only solution here I can see if to hardwire a can line in place taking a clean power feed as the OBD power feed is obviously affected by "noise". However given this is only being used on track days (I will use the Sony for general driving if I need footage as the picture is sharper and the sound better) I guess its no real issue. Even if left plugged in and one with back-light I suspect it would take weeks to flatten the battery. Its best to hide all this gear out of sight when touring/DD.

2). Im still getting a "dirty" microphone noise. AIM claim the eternal microphone is high gain causing the issue at low ambient volume levels. I dont know about that and have ordered a non microphone can lead which will use only the on-board camera mic (not very good but without the annoying whine).

So, microphone issue aside its a pretty slick and integrated product. I think the key benefits of this are learning a track. I can see how accompanied by a few session of tuition on the 13th this could be a really excellent tool for learning the track. Sure the AIM analytics's are also useful but this gives you immediate understanding of everything happening on the track, in the cockpit and with the cars dynamics (well alot of useful data anyhow) all as its happening including brake and throttle data. Its not really a tool of audio/video quality suitable for high quality productions however (its 720 HD, but I will say the metering is excellent - better than the Sony and as good as the GoPro!).

Welcome any feedback.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Macca; 12-28-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:12 PM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Hi everyone,

A good friend of mine was taking one of his Ferrari's for a spin yesterday and unfortunately went past a policeman. The cop followed him (no radar) and stopped him claiming he was doing 160km/h plus as he had to sustain this speed on his verified Holden commodore speedo.

Long story short - they wanted to seize the car, but in the end didn't (it's worth well into the 7 figures) but have suspended his license, and given him a court date in late Jan.

Can anyone suggest the name of a good lawyer who specializes in reducing penalties or getting people off and also sorting work licenses as quickly as possible. Speed and expertise is a must - not too concerned about the cost of the legal fees.

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Cheers

Matt
Old 12-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Garry D
Instructor

Hi Matt

I sent you a PM

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?