Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Neil. I think a classic Porsche would be a very cool way to arrive at work each day and immense fun. Id imagine you live only a couple of KM from your surgery, so the only thing to be aware of is an older 911 will probably exhibit more long term drive train and engine wear with such a short journey. However for the enjoyment this I think may be worth the additional maintenance costs over a modern car which may be better designed to handle lubrication with such short journeys.

In Monaco we met a Frenchman who owned a restaurant on the habour front and had been driving his 911S the short journey to work each day for 30 years. It was the best part of his day. It was a very original car, but had a patina of use and no garage queen but it was perhaps the nicest example of a long hood Ive ever seen in person because it had these beautiful wear characteristics of a car that had been used and loved.

Lifes short.
Attached Images   
Old 12-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

It seems that slowly the chatter is starting about the global (USA) classic car prices...here is an interesting take on it from a well known member who has a small collection himself and is highly regarded on the boards.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2014, 06:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Macca, there's nothing new under the sun. A book often cited in my Market days was 'Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. First published in 1841.

There is something innate in some humans to value something based simply on the fact that others value it. I watch my boys go gaga over a $250 mouse or $500 headset and see that they are afflicted. At least with fine cars you get something to drive even when the price is down.

As you will no doubt see, I have two cars listed. I was going to do Herman as well, but I'll save the listing fee for something more worthwhile. I understand at least one Trademe seller is upset at the number of competitor cars coming on Market. I suppose I've upped the ante at $150k cars
Old 12-03-2014, 06:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The subject of lemmings brings back a beautiful example at my college.

The departing year 13 boarders made a song and dance about some younger boarders having transgressed and being marched to the school pool, stripped off and chucked in.

They whipped up the crowd to the point that a large enough group of day boys followed the boarders to the pool.

The pool was fully fenced so the crowd had to go in to watch. Doors were closed. Trap set. The boarders, then let the young boarders go and they pushed as many day boys in the pool as they could.

That life lesson has stuck with me for more than 30 years. It was a beautiful play on human psychology. No, I wasn't involved or a victim.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. I will buy that book for some light reading on the beach in Zihuatanejo. We have a house there for a month in March.

I see the listing for the 3.6T. I have no doubt you will get your money. I withdrew my listing after 1400 views 62 watchers and emails from two serious parties. I'm in discussions with one of them although I'm still not convinced to sell. I have no doubt there is enough interest to shift your car at asking. I don't think you should negotiate.

Interesting times ahead. If you sold both cars by Xmas any ideas on what you would do with the money?
Old 12-03-2014, 07:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, I'm wired to be working on something at all times so sitting down and watching the world go by isn't on the cards. If both cars sell, I'll simply put the proceeds in the Bank and carry on with renovations and working on the remaining cars. Later on it could buy a portion of what remains of Donna's family farmlet or some good travels.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good idea I think I would do the same with it too. I'd probably dream up an adventure as I'm having a break from projects lol!
Old 12-03-2014, 08:24 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Not if the Turbo 3.6 sells. Full glass out respray would be first on the list.
Make sure you are sitting down when you get the bill (mine are coming through......)
Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Make sure you are sitting down when you get the bill (mine are coming through......)
Hopefully not unexpected costs.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Macca, there's nothing new under the sun. A book often cited in my Market days was 'Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. First published in 1841.

There is something innate in some humans to value something based simply on the fact that others value it. I watch my boys go gaga over a $250 mouse or $500 headset and see that they are afflicted. At least with fine cars you get something to drive even when the price is down.

As you will no doubt see, I have two cars listed. I was going to do Herman as well, but I'll save the listing fee for something more worthwhile. I understand at least one Trademe seller is upset at the number of competitor cars coming on Market. I suppose I've upped the ante at $150k cars
Damn, I was going to offer you a swap with the orange T.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Looks like she just ate Chris. Shining Hondas evident in the front yard look exceptional. Too good to race? Obvious podium finishers with the care and attention devoted to them. Good job John.
On a serious note , with prices going the way they are and speaking hypothetically, if I were to upgrade/ invest in a new daily driver would you suggest a cayenne or a more classic porsche. The R32 has been exceptional but feeling a change is due. A tow vehicle seems logical but not necessary so could be anything. Where should I put my hard earned?
Interesting that there have been some engine rebuilds on gt3 s. Mine is fine,thankfully. Probably due to inexperienced trackday demons going backwards or spinning. These things happen to the best of us.
I didn't know you had an R32? Golf I assume, not GTR Skyline.
There is some R loving going on at my house. 230kw with a mild chip. Not sure it will hang around long - Don't know if it's me. Just a few years ago I think I was trying to re live my younger days and got a blue WRX. It only lasted a month. Keeping the old mans car for a while just in case.

I love spending other people's money, I'd go for an 80's Carrera as a Daily driver, but finding one will be the challenge.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2014, 09:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Chris B is looking at a Golf as well. Is there something in the water?

As for selling the Turbo 3.6. The ad is a rush of blood to the head. Clint said he had lot of views but almost no real interest when he advertised so don't expect a sale anytime soon.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

As for selling the Turbo 3.6. The ad is a rush of blood to the head.
Mmmm. I know the feeling!

Nice Golf Dave.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Mmmm. I know the feeling!

Nice Golf Dave.
Lovely colour aye?
Old 12-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Its the signature colour right? Looks good. I like the black wheels.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?