Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 01:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Just got permission from Annie to buy your car Macca. Only one proviso, need to be the lotto winner . Give me a few weeks and I will see if I can manage it.
I have no doubt it is worth it and you should get what it deserves but could be off shore.

Hey Neil. Buy me a ticket with the same numbers. Ill buy it back for 200K and we can actually self fulfil the prophesy! :-)
Old 11-30-2014, 01:27 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

are u really selling the 993 Macca?
Old 11-30-2014, 01:27 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Pete - your hand (and lip) will quiver over the spec sheet - and then waver to red over black??

The orange is quite nice??
Haha - no I've been put off red in the (some of the) very new cars. Didn't look right on the 991 GT3 and don't like it on the 981 either. Colour is a funny thing - some colours just suit certain eras of car.

Like the orange - So right on Dave's hotrod but I'm not a fan on the 987 at all.

We'll see.. I'l probably be the one driving the Ford Focus diesel on the 2016 tour.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:36 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

well I've been flat out working this week and only catching up - I see the advert now. Hmm
Old 11-30-2014, 01:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
in M235i today. Spec, 8sp auto with paddles and also stick override, drive, sport and sport plus programs, 18" wheels and Michelin supersport, Drove a varied loop with a bit of everything. North up SH1 - quiet cruise, nice audio, plenty of turbo torque up the hill, no lag, fast shifting, in fact impressive engine makes the car feel fast with very good response.
then onto some bumpy and windy targa stage road that is tight and relatively slow but lots of acceleraton and brakes. suspension in sport to allow some compliance for bumps. plenty of acceleration and with 8sp lots of gear changing from 2, 3, 4 up and down. suspension controls the body well although there is a feeling of weight - not sure how much the car weighs but it feels more than I would have thought. Having said that there is plenty of power and the sport mode handled the bumps fine, no secondary bouncing but a little bit of traction control cutting in. Sport plus would have fixed that as the program is backed off but shocks then too stiff - ability to separate these 2 functions would be an advantage. Handling balance good with no noticeable balance bias at enthusiastic road pace.

Steering is light - probably too light and not much feel but this is a problem of most new cars now.

cabin quality average for this price and class of car.

Overall I liked the car, not a lot of space in the back seats but a good DD with plenty of pace M2 should be good and worth a look - haven't driven the M3/4 so can't compare that.
Thanks for the valuable feedback Graeme. Your assessment of the nannies is well made. The same issue exists with the M3 I test drove and is widely reflected on the M car forums. The M2 will have more power and a finer tuned chassis than the 235i but I doubt it will be significantly lighter (if at all). This means the relationship between teh driving modes will become ever more critical. I do hope they allow the M sport modes to be varied with more flexibility than currently available otherwise top relax the nannies you have to stiffen the chassis which then creates more slip and increases the frequency of the ESC. Most frustrating.

What is the NZ retail for a M235i?
Old 11-30-2014, 01:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
We'll see.. I'l probably be the one driving the Ford Focus diesel on the 2016 tour.
If the 993 doesnt sell I think I might be driving just in front of you in a ex UK used Renault Megane 265 ;-)
Old 11-30-2014, 02:10 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Nice..............

Looks like I'd be the only one on the 2016 RSG tour not doing a factory pick-up.

You guys are too rich for me...............

I need to find some poorer mates.........
Its alright mate, I'm still here
Old 11-30-2014, 02:18 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

I had always thought after the 993 I'd move to a 996 GT3 and I've said that earlier on here. But then after finally paying it off and losing my appetite for debt I thought why borrow more to get into a GT3 when the 993 delivers such a great experience and they look so good. I still get compliments whenever I take it out and it still puts a smile on my face.

However I must admit with the reasonably nice 996TT just listed and the 996 GT3 on TM I have pondered the what if... with the aircooled cars in demand the delta between the the 993 and the two mentioned earlier becomes a lot less....

Heck with Macca's stone chipped, track hack on there for $150K I could almost sell mine and afford a 996 GT2
Old 11-30-2014, 02:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Oh heck. What have I started. Just received an email from a gentleman who read all about my car in CC magazine and is very keen to take a look at it this week! Mmmm. Bit difficult when Im not in the country. Car is on Z221s with very aggressive geo. Maybe I should do what someone else on there did a few weeks back and ask for a refundable 50K deposit first before you can get within 10m of said car LOL!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
I had always thought after the 993 I'd move to a 996 GT3 and I've said that earlier on here. But then after finally paying it off and losing my appetite for debt I thought why borrow more to get into a GT3 when the 993 delivers such a great experience and they look so good. I still get compliments whenever I take it out and it still puts a smile on my face.

However I must admit with the reasonably nice 996TT just listed and the 996 GT3 on TM I have pondered the what if... with the aircooled cars in demand the delta between the the 993 and the two mentioned earlier becomes a lot less....

Heck with Macca's stone chipped, track hack on there for $150K I could almost sell mine and afford a 996 GT2
Hey. In my add offered a front end respray as part of the deal!

The 996 GT2 is more like you Jamie and frankly a stella investment. I need to add these to the 996 Gt3 and 3.3 Turbo as undervalued fuure appreciators. After of course 964 and 993 prices have ripped through the stratosphere and become the stella performers in the modern air cooled sector ;-)
Old 11-30-2014, 02:35 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Hey. In my add offered a front end respray as part of the deal!

The 996 GT2 is more like you Jamie and frankly a stella investment. I need to add these to the 996 Gt3 and 3.3 Turbo as undervalued fuure appreciators. After of course 964 and 993 prices have ripped through the stratosphere and become the stella performers in the modern air cooled sector ;-)
Hehe was just winding you up mate. I've shared your TM ad on all the boy racer forums so you should get some enquiries for test drives

You know my thoughts on future classics and I've always said with Porsche "history repeats itself". All you need to do is look at the last 30 years to give an indicator of whats becomes collectable and what doesn't. I always said the 4.0 would be a collector car and many disagreed and look at them now!

Same with the Sport Classic. The GT2 is an interesting beast as many are too scared to own one. Most I have known have never been drive "properly" and the cheapest one was about 12 or so months ago at around $90k from memory. I haven't seen any under $100k for a while.

And the end of the day I'd get much more enjoyment per $$ out of keeping the 993, my boat and a Pontiac Camaro or Firebird .......... and a little later another Ducati or MV Augusta!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:44 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maxem
Here you go Doug, i believe that the panels are being done now / soon. Back in the shop early December
Clear coat on
...I think I am going to be very happy with the finish.
NIIICCE Dave. See I wasn't going fully mad after all :-)
Old 11-30-2014, 03:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Hehe was just winding you up mate. I've shared your TM ad on all the boy racer forums so you should get some enquiries for test drives

You know my thoughts on future classics and I've always said with Porsche "history repeats itself". All you need to do is look at the last 30 years to give an indicator of whats becomes collectable and what doesn't. I always said the 4.0 would be a collector car and many disagreed and look at them now!

Same with the Sport Classic. The GT2 is an interesting beast as many are too scared to own one. Most I have known have never been drive "properly" and the cheapest one was about 12 or so months ago at around $90k from memory. I haven't seen any under $100k for a while.

And the end of the day I'd get much more enjoyment per $$ out of keeping the 993, my boat and a Pontiac Camaro or Firebird .......... and a little later another Ducati or MV Augusta!
Was wondering why the other-enquires I got wall wanted to know if I would swap WRX or EVO6 and girlfriend or wife for my car. Alot of guys wanting to offload their skanks in the central NI aye!

I agree. Return for $$$ enjoyment your 993 plus some other toys probably wins. if you were more regular at the track these days the GT3 would be a shoe in. The 996 GT2 doesnt appeal to me personally but I expect it will keep rising in price.

I say we put these price discussions to bed. Ive proven my point. Anyone can list their car for insane money. Doesnt mean it will sell. Even if its a really nice one. Good way to accelerate our RL pages. over 1300 now wooohooo!
Old 11-30-2014, 03:27 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pel
The red 964 has sold, 95% sure a friend of a friend bought it at full price.
I just got word of the same.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:30 AM
sp1ked
Instructor

So, I have to get serious about an auto trim shop. Anyone have the inside line on a good one? I suspect I'll be putting on a few miles searching out the right place.
Hi Dave. Waikumete Car Upholsterers were recommended to me by a few older fellows last year. I ended up not taking on the project so its second hand info but the work I saw was excellent and for very picky old guys. They get a good rap if you do a search for them.

I've also seen work by Traditional Upholstery in Waimauku. I think they mostly do furniture but have done several hot rods that were very cool.

You'll probably need to call into several shops and see which one you 'gel' with before choosing 'the one'.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?