Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:53 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Checked via Google, we seem to have the longest thread on Rennlist with 'Any Rennlisters from New Zealand'. Some stats:

1st post: 5th Jan, 2006
10th page completed: 16th December 2009 (grew 10 pages in about four years)
110th page completed: 14th March 2013 (grew by another 100 pages in a bit over 3 years)
1110th page completed: 14th August 2014 (grew by 1000 pages in about 1.5 years)

Anyone noticing a pattern? If we're going to go supercritical, maybe we should get some public liability insurance for killing the internet:

11110th page in another 9 months from now?
111110th page in about (9+5) 14 months from now?
1111110th page in about (9+5+3) 17 months from now (past the million mark)?
11111110th page in about (9+5+3+2) 19 months from now?
111111110th page in about (9+5+3+2+1) 20 months from now?
and so on for 20.6, 21, 21.25, 21.4, 21.5, 21.56, 21.6 months etc.

Evidently, by Christmas 2016, all the world's storage will belong to us. The only responsible thing for world powers to do of course is to nuke us from orbit before it's too late...

BTW: if you're reading this while sitting in a bunker with far too much time on your hands and just the one button: just kidding mate - please put that finger back where it came from.
Haha. Given that post and the activity evidenced by the contents therein i'd suggest we have far too much time on our hands. Well at least those with tenure and a post count of over 1.5 per day. You know who you are...
Old 11-12-2014, 04:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
I'm with you Paul. I miss my Boxster 986 which is the closest I've had to owning a 996. I'm sure their day will come too. Personally I don't like the tear drop headlights but the 996.2 headlights? like Chris' turbo are a lot more attractive. Believe it or not but the 996 shape is growing on me as time goes on too. The engine issues are well known and the IMS sorted for $2k although by all accounts most that will blow do so early in their lives. Just don't buy a one lady owner one that's not been driven hard. 996 buying value sure is getting better all the time.
The latest GT Porsche is talking the 996 up. Looking at mid $30k seems like a bargain until you realise a 996 Turbo can be bought for high $40k.

Have you sorted the headlights out for Lola yet?
Old 11-12-2014, 05:01 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

What's to miss about the older Boxster Doug? Genuine question. I've not driven a Boxster so have no real idea about their eccentricities through the iterations.

Interesting comments re 996 value and looks. I've had a few workmates interested in owning a 911 so have spent a bit of time looking into low cost options; the 996's present a very viable option. I've been recommending they steer towards the 996.2 cars due to the slight displacement increase, better torque characteristics and aesthetic differences but it's all based on reading with no real world experience.

IMHO the non GT cars still have a small drop to go in value but they're reaching the bottom of the trough.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its a shame aye. I just finished reading 911 & Porsche World article on 996 GT3RS. Now selling 120-150K GBP.

My heart sank. The owners whos car was featured bought it 6 years ago for 60K GBP. Its quite clear reading between the lines he wont be tracking it any more and will be selling it shortly. Im not interested in a 996 GT3RS, (Ive driven in one and it was built for the track not the road and is very evident).

The shame is the investors are spoiling it for the collectors and the collectors are spoiling it for the enthusiasts. Basically if it has an RS moniker or even a GT3 moniker its off the table for the majority of Porsche pundits.

So that leaves us with the base 996/997 models. My read is the 996 & 997 TT are the cars representing best value right now. Manual over PDK and PDK over Tipo. The 996 GT2 is still frairly priced and would be a solid bet for a bit of fun before the prices get stupid.

On the atmo front, in NZ the 996.1/2 GT3 is unreal value and Im very surprised more in our group are not driving these (as you know from me harping on about it). These will be favoured by purists for their non turbo engines, rear wheel drive and motorsports provenance.

Venturing outside of the Turbo/Metzger camp you have the 996/boxster M96/97. These represent great value but unlike the above suffer on two fronts - engines of possible dubious reliability (on track) and gearboxes made by a Japanese company which are essentially sealed units.

Im finding it increasingly difficult to aspire to a "future" Porsche. Anything I feel that would be a bit of fun to own and thrash around a track or Targa is at the point where its not economically viable to do so due to its increasing value and scarcity (without the benefits of new car reliability and 4 years track cover warranty as I have with the 991 GT3). The new stuff is heading for many of us in the "wrong" direction IMO (automated transmissions, turbos, more electronics, bigger platforms, hybrid power). The old stuff are becoming relic shrines, many owners can no longer afford to insure them - even a few local PCNZ owners.

Right now the only answer I see is a cheap 3.2/964/993 to turn into your dream hotrod :-). At the moment in NZ at least its the only thing that can give the excitement and makes fiscal sense. Heck it makes more sense than ever to turn your 964 and 993 into RS replicas (with the price of a 993RS youd be saving 200K in the process!). I think these are a better bet than a 35k 996 C.

All IMO of course.

P.S. You can never have too much time on your hands I have found :-). Life is short and time is the only currency that matters.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:08 AM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
The latest GT Porsche is talking the 996 up. Looking at mid $30k seems like a bargain until you realise a 996 Turbo can be bought for high $40k.
Substantially different experience to the 996 Turbo, though. ~280kg weight difference, for a start off.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sorry by future Porsche above I mean a Porsche in my future not the latest new Porsche.

Also I should make it clear my opinions are expressed by someone that prizes DRIVING these cars more than any other aspect of ownership. I average almost 1000km a week in a 911 when I am in NZ. Some years much more. I only want to drive them hard really so my views are not reflective of those that may have another version of Porsche ownership (i.e. Daily driver, show car, pub brag rights car or sunday fun car).
Old 11-12-2014, 05:18 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
This GT3 review is brilliant:

DeMuro's channel is worth checking out, he has been reviewing daily life with a Ferrari 360 for Jalopnik. His latest video on that topic:
Thanks Matt, awesome (that roll of paper towels was hilarious) and I've just spent an hour watching some of his other videos.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:49 PM
PHG
Racer

Have you sorted the headlights out for Lola yet?
you would not sell yours that cheap, would you?
Old 11-12-2014, 06:01 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
you would not sell yours that cheap, would you?
Yes, I would. With low kilometer examples in the mid $60k range it would unrealistic to expect over $50k for one with 167,XXX km on the odometer.

If I only had two Porsche's I wouldn't sell, but three plus a GTI and ocassional visiting Integras is making life too complicated.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:08 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I would. With low kilometer examples in the mid $60k range it would unrealistic to expect over $50k for one with 167,XXX km on the odometer.

If I only had two Porsche's I wouldn't sell, but three plus a GTI and ocassional visiting Integras is making life too complicated.
Almost wish I didn't have mine, so I could buy yours. Anyone interested should know that they are potentially buying 2 cars for the price of one. They could run it for a few years as is, while getting to know it, then throw it a bone by way of an upgrade. Then they'll need to get to know it all over again.

A sensible upgrade would see you in for well under 60K all up - for a car that can still hang with most of the fast club gear at HD, and keep more than a few of the current crop of $200-$350K road machines honest.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

There's no denying they are good buying right now (996TT). 65K asking for a 62K 2004 Tipo or the same asking for a 100K manual. Not sure what those would end up actually trading hands for but I think safe to assume 60K after haggling.

John I think you are right. You would have to price in mid low 50s to attract a reasonably quick sale selling in the late 40s/50. I think somewhere around 48K is on the money unless you want a drawn out sale.

There is little doubt these are the bargain of the Porsche world right now. But they are getting on and will require money to maintain. Will look cheap at 60K in 10 years time Im sure...
Old 11-12-2014, 08:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, these cars do big mileage in the US so I expect that expenses are mostly of servicing and consumables, but you never know.

Walter, I've often wondered whether I should just bite the bullet, get the pipes pinned and go to the track. Truth is that I have too much on the go, too many options and not enough time. I've yet to pick up my golf clubs or go out on my windsurfers. As soon as the Integras are ready I'll look for more balance. One less car would make it all that much more simple.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Mileage is the perceived buyer issue not necessarily a real issue as we all know. Provenance and maintenance history is more important indeed.

By increased expense, I refer to age related costs. Suspension, bushes, shocks, mounts, faulty control units, abs electronics etc). The price on used cars falls but the original ticket price of parts when these were 280K retail machines remains the same (or increases). Labour charges too. 14 years ago I paid $80ph + GST 12.5% at CCS for work on my 993 and today the official figure is probably 130ph + 15% GST!

SIMPLE. Now theres a word that encapsulates my lifes goal these last few years. Everyone has a different version of hectic/chaos. At one stage having owned 3 x Porsche (at the same time) like yourself plus Joannas VR6 I am all to familiar with the senario. Its never simple even when they are all relatively well behaved. Sell the 996TT and buy some head space. Its cheap and will help you live longer ;-)
Old 11-12-2014, 09:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Meanwhile back to real problems. Email received this morning

"Ms X has asked me to write you regarding Cameron eating a large pizza-shaped lolly at school before the bell this morning.

This is against school rules but also there obvious health and learning implications when kids are eating things made entirely of chemicals, including harmful colourants.

He has been told by Ms X not to repeat this and I’m sure we have your support in this matter".

I am tempted to respond, but at my age realise the first reaction may be the wrong way to handle this transgression.

Secretly I'm wondering how a Greens supporter nut bar got a visa into the Bays. There should be a law against it.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Priceless!

Maybe they feel its another "gateway drug" into the world on nose candy and delinquency. Picking up on "SIMPLE" I think "Ms X" meets the criteria nicely. Its nice to know you have a "dietician" on board for those handsome annual school fees...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?