Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 05:39 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Matt H clearing out the collection? Carrera GT now on TM. Bound to be buyers given the rarity factor.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:21 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
agree. Jake is that pic taken out the sunroof/ out the window or through the windscreen?
Yuka took it from Chris M's car. He was cleaning his windscreen at every stop with some spray called Kitten or some such, obviously does the trick!
Old 04-05-2016, 07:31 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Macca, the 'Ring is like a magical kingdom in which NOTHING is like it seems! You can never tell what's under the bonnet or the wheel arches - that caged Golf which just blew by you could either be a seasoned local boy used to circulating with his foot wielded to the floor - or it could be packing a 600 bhp tuned Audi turbo motor - you really can't tell!

Perhaps the majority of standard cars are Ferraris & Lambos for which European owners lack the hotrodding instincts of their US counterparts.

I recall seeing a German owner tightening the full harness for his helmeted 10-year old son before easing his GT2 through barrier!

Sadly the days of sanely enjoying a Touristfahren day are long gone.

Today I'd recommend a dedicated track day with someone like Darren at Destination Nurburgring.

Tim
Old 04-05-2016, 08:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Tim, we are looking at driver training at the Ring in September. Any tips on company, rental car, likely number of km driven in a day?
Old 04-05-2016, 08:17 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Oops I should add the suspension and brakes are nor stock lol!
He knows that car more intimately than his wife/GF. Such confidence. great watching that video.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here are a few from teretonga day 1.
Attached Images   
Old 04-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Highlands was fun as always...
Attached Images   

Last edited by Macca; 04-05-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The bike guys have ***** so big I dont know how they walk...

The Wongster doing his stuff...
Attached Images   
Old 04-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

A line up and Ron puckering up for a passenger ride in the shark...and debriefing time in 6celcius!
Attached Images    
Old 04-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi John,
if you're needing a rental/training package RSR Nurburg is highly rated & I think their website is quoting 995 euros for the day- based on two drivers sharing one of their cars.

If you have access to your own or a friend's (generous friend!) vehicle then Destination Nurburgring have a double-header track day on 29-30 September at £1100 for both days or £600 for one day. They can arrange tuition & even a rental vehicle - just contact Darren Langeveld. Great camaraderie on their trips.

The insurance situation is more clear-cut for private track days than it was for UK residents on Touristfahren days.

Obviously there's the option of a lap in the 'ring taxi as a non-driving experience. The Museum is worth a look too.

In terms of laps - an eight lap day is considered a lot of driving (approx. 160 km) - most people would run between 4 - 12 laps with the median being quite typical.

It's more like a high-speed drive on a country road than a traditional track - and is therefore easier on brakes than a smaller track in which speeds are controlled with hairpins at the ends of straights & chicanes etc. It's unforgiving because you spend so much time climbing/descending (1000ft elevation change) & corning at triple-digit (mph) speeds with virtually no run-off.

I can recall staring out the side window as we slide down the grass on the inside of Schwedenkreuz at 100 mph - purely because my brother had a slight feather near the apex (he should have been mid-track to avoid the apex bump) rather than keeping a constant/neutral throttle through that off-camber, downhill bend which has claimed many lives. Fortunately we didn't contact anything and rose-jointed cars impart limited warning when approaching the limit - but it was a sobering reminder - especially when so many people told us how lucky we were.

Tim
Old 04-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great info Tim. The RSR day sounds really cheap if it's including a car. My GT3 costs more than that to run at the track for a day in NZ!

Both your recommendations are excellent and concur with what others have said. RSR closed days are legendary!!

Looking forward to seeing you guys out there John!! I have a video somewhere of me punting our rental around the track with Jo pretty much shouting at me to slow down (I didn't ;-)). We are still alive and married...
Old 04-05-2016, 07:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Penguinracer
Hi John, if you're needing a rental/training package RSR Nurburg is highly rated & I think their website is quoting 995 euros for the day- based on two drivers sharing one of their cars. If you have access to your own or a friend's (generous friend!) vehicle then Destination Nurburgring have a double-header track day on 29-30 September at £1100 for both days or £600 for one day. They can arrange tuition & even a rental vehicle - just contact Darren Langeveld. Great camaraderie on their trips. The insurance situation is more clear-cut for private track days than it was for UK residents on Touristfahren days. Obviously there's the option of a lap in the 'ring taxi as a non-driving experience. The Museum is worth a look too. In terms of laps - an eight lap day is considered a lot of driving (approx. 160 km) - most people would run between 4 - 12 laps with the median being quite typical. It's more like a high-speed drive on a country road than a traditional track - and is therefore easier on brakes than a smaller track in which speeds are controlled with hairpins at the ends of straights & chicanes etc. It's unforgiving because you spend so much time climbing/descending (1000ft elevation change) & corning at triple-digit (mph) speeds with virtually no run-off. I can recall staring out the side window as we slide down the grass on the inside of Schwedenkreuz at 100 mph - purely because my brother had a slight feather near the apex (he should have been mid-track to avoid the apex bump) rather than keeping a constant/neutral throttle through that off-camber, downhill bend which has claimed many lives. Fortunately we didn't contact anything and rose-jointed cars impart limited warning when approaching the limit - but it was a sobering reminder - especially when so many people told us how lucky we were. Tim
Thanks Tim, all good info. We will be renting cars, albeit the budget might dictate what. I've heard that accidents are very expensive at the Ring so it may be better to have something that doesn't risk taking out a barrier. Time to get back on the Sim and learn the track.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Great info Tim. The RSR day sounds really cheap if it's including a car. My GT3 costs more than that to run at the track for a day in NZ! Both your recommendations are excellent and concur with what others have said. RSR closed days are legendary!! Looking forward to seeing you guys out there John!! I have a video somewhere of me punting our rental around the track with Jo pretty much shouting at me to slow down (I didn't ;-)). We are still alive and married...
It's an eclectic year for me track wise, Porsche Festival, Dunlop 800, Ring and NITT. Might get a PCNZ track day in as well if there's an Air-cooled group.

The Ring is bucket list material albeit it sounds like you need to pick the format. Driver training seems like the best option and I get to share memories with Peter and Steve. Maybe Graeme as well. Saving my pennies now to upgrade the car choice.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
It's an eclectic year for me track wise, Porsche Festival, Dunlop 800, Ring and NITT. Might get a PCNZ track day in as well if there's an Air-cooled group. The Ring is bucket list material albeit it sounds like you need to pick the format. Driver training seems like the best option and I get to share memories with Peter and Steve. Maybe Graeme as well. Saving my pennies now to upgrade the car choice.
Like me you take what you can get John. You'll have an awesome experience out there. I liken it to a series of great European driving roads (like D2 Route Napoleon) joined together in a circle and no speed limits, rather than a typical 2 mile 1960s NZ style track....can wait to see the FB posts lol!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:34 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like me you take what you can get John. You'll have an awesome experience out there. I liken it to a series of great European driving roads (like D2 Route Napoleon) joined together in a circle and no speed limits, rather than a typical 2 mile 1960s NZ style track....can wait to see the FB posts lol!
Or maybe 'Targa Unchained' meets Hampton Downs? I think the 'Ring has few elements (karussels and mixed traffic apart maybe) that I haven't tasted somewhere before but it is so damned iconic and pulls it together so nicely that it's back on my bucketlist too, now that they've lifted those sectional speed restrictions again. Along with crossing the border to hit Spa and some Belgian abbeys afterwards. Will be following your adventures there with interest.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?