Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 12:06 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Tune, (re-)chip, flash. These are all the same things. Sorry to break it to you.
To a long time Porsche enthusiast, yes, pretty much. For upgrade/LVV purposes -where technicalities and fine distinctions matter - then not as written and researched. No need to be sorry!
Old 07-13-2014, 12:24 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
To a long time Porsche enthusiast, yes, pretty much. For upgrade/LVV purposes -where technicalities and fine distinctions matter - then not as written and researched. No need to be sorry!
Old 07-13-2014, 12:39 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the difference here is that I'm reading the rules to see how much can be done, versus reading them the other way. Accepted, it may be a bit like paddling past a 'no canoeing' sign because you're in a kayak rather than a canoe, but the actual intent here may well be just as written, since policing fueling maps etc gets into a grayer area they may have wished to avoid.

Personally I'm happy for everyone to make their own call on such matters, as I did.

Off to watch Moto GP now...
Old 07-13-2014, 12:40 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Pete. For you Cayman try Michelin Super Sports. These will be under 2K landed. Pretty much the best you can get. I see Johns gone troppo. No iphone internet hook up in Samoa? by the looks. Hell be running into the office tomorrow early to get onto Rennlist ;-)
I had a quote from tirerack in the IS which was around something like NZ$1650 landed incl GST for a set this size. Glad Tony got those wheels from CS
Old 07-13-2014, 01:41 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also seen Bridgestone RE55 track tires in Cayman size for $1436 a set 235/265 (other sizes available.) With the Hankooks out of stock that's not a bad option for anyone on 18's.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:45 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete - didn't you get new tyres put on the car before importing?

I assume 1 x SITT has killed the life in them??
Old 07-13-2014, 01:58 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Pete - didn't you get new tyres put on the car before importing?

I assume 1 x SITT has killed the life in them??
Correct on both counts. The tracks nailed one of the fronts and its delaminated pretty badly. PS2s so not cheap - for a pair of new fronts you can get a full set of Hankook V12 or similar. Have just been driving the damaged ones as only commuting but Dan told me off at Taupo last weekend... So best get something sorted - leaning towards the Hankooks for what I want - $1200.

Tony's on the hunt for track tyres for his Cayman but been hit but the Hankook 18" out of stock curse. Nittos expensive wherever they've been quoted so just spotted the RE 55s which sound like a good option unless they're cheap for a reason (old).
Old 07-13-2014, 02:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pete. You were wanting road tyres yes ?

Hankook z221 in 235/285 x 18 were in stock last month when I bought mine.

Who stocks RE55S these days? I thought they were defunct?
Old 07-13-2014, 02:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete check with Chris M but the hankooks in NZ are the old compound IIRC and latest ones not here till next year.

I was PS2 fanboy two roadies sets on 993 but the super sports MUCH MUCH better and way cheaper as non of this N rated nonsense! I have a new set of those going on the HT3 after NITT. For $400 more a set landed than the Hankook v12 no brainier

The RE55 were discontinued 3 years back no?
Old 07-13-2014, 02:14 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pete. You were wanting road tyres yes ?

Hankook z221 in 235/285 x 18 were in stock last month when I bought mine.

Who stocks RE55S these days? I thought they were defunct?
Road tyres for me - track tyres for Tony

I thought the RE55s may be old - lots on trademe from the Welly area. Though I think they are still popular in Oz so could be fine.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-751092058.htm

You're probably right re the MPSS but for commuting and general driving the Hankooks are more than adequate. They rated v well in the Car & Driver test - and I won't be using them at the limit. Add in $100 for fitting balancing plus the hassle factor of shipping and waiting and the $500 difference makes sense to me. Got to keep Brian in business!
Old 07-13-2014, 02:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Looks like the RE55S was discontinued in 2010 and replaced by RE11 from what I can tell. A few retailers in AU also selling sets very cheap but stating was a Bridgestone AU warehouse clear out.
If Runkel can't get the Hankooks then these could be a good choice. Cheapest 1-2s a lap you will ever find vs mods would be $500 more for the z221s in 235/285 if there are still any left. Bruce said there should be more coming but couldn't give timing probably after NITT.,,

If it's just for commuting to work agree go for the cheapest option although 3 of us on here have ordered tyres on last few months from tirerack and service been really quick.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:35 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With your insurance situation Macca they will likely clarify as follows:

Your modifications are deemed acceptable by them currently. Meaning that were you to have an accident in a modified vehicle that they did not know of they could void your policy for non-notification of modifications (it will be in the T&Cs). However since they are aware they won't do it because of that.

If however you were to have an accident caused by a modification that was illegal (even one they know about) then they can void your policy because of that. It is a separate obligation for your vehicle to be in a road legal state. So even if you have a WoF but you have something that is illegal and you could reasonably expected to know this, like say a massive new turbo, and that potentially caused the accident then you could have a problem. It has to have been at least in some way causative though. For instance if you are rear ended sitting at the traffic lights it cannot be causative and therefore they cannot decline on that front (that part is by law).

I'll be surprised if you get a nice clean answer from them, they like to be a bit vague because every case is different and you can never be 100% sure you'll be covered before something happens.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
With your insurance situation Macca they will likely clarify as follows:

Your modifications are deemed acceptable by them currently. Meaning that were you to have an accident in a modified vehicle that they did not know of they could void your policy for non-notification of modifications (it will be in the T&Cs). However since they are aware they won't do it because of that.

If however you were to have an accident caused by a modification that was illegal (even one they know about) then they can void your policy because of that. It is a separate obligation for your vehicle to be in a road legal state. So even if you have a WoF but you have something that is illegal and you could reasonably expected to know this, like say a massive new turbo, and that potentially caused the accident then you could have a problem. It has to have been at least in some way causative though. For instance if you are rear ended sitting at the traffic lights it cannot be causative and therefore they cannot decline on that front (that part is by law).

I'll be surprised if you get a nice clean answer from them, they like to be a bit vague because every case is different and you can never be 100% sure you'll be covered before something happens.
Thanks mate. This has pretty much been my take on the situation for the last few years since the LVV thing was mentioned on these boards. When I left the country in 2006 I dont believe there situation re LVV to control "boy racers" was as developed as it is today so it was never something on the radar. All that being said I do put my faith in my WOF agent, suspension/geo guy and the other professionals that look after my machines to guide me correctly on these matters and although i have pressed the issue a number of times I have been assured that although I could have a LVV if I really wanted to I do not in their opinion require one. All that being said Ive had two prior unsatisfactory dealings with insurance co (not vehicle related) and so always mindful these days to ensure Im within the letter of policy.

ill make a few quiet enquiries when I see Roger next weekend and find out how the industry generally sit on the matter...
Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. I got an email back form one of those TM vendors for the RE55S. Looks like Bridgestone Australia found a whole lot of tyres from 2010 in the back of their warehouse and selected dealers have been given allocation to sell them off. They are an attractive price but probably a bit long in the tooth (i.e. maybe compound hardening) , they require different tyres for left and right hand side of vehicle and should one wear or get a while etc in the future its unlikely a single replacement or a pair will be available. I think they are a good plan as a last resort for Tony if he cant get the NT01 or Z221. I enquired re the NT01 and they were about same price as Z221...
Old 07-13-2014, 03:18 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pete. I got an email back form one of those TM vendors for the RE55S. Looks like Bridgestone Australia found a whole lot of tyres from 2010 in the back of their warehouse and selected dealers have been given allocation to sell them off. They are an attractive price but probably a bit long in the tooth (i.e. maybe compound hardening) , they require different tyres for left and right hand side of vehicle and should one wear or get a while etc in the future its unlikely a single replacement or a pair will be available. I think they are a good plan as a last resort for Tony if he cant get the NT01 or Z221. I enquired re the NT01 and they were about same price as Z221...
Remind me what the 221s were ($) in 18's? Have been $1,600/set for the last 3 sets of 17's I've bought.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?