Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Jason posted that he was away for 2 months from the 27th.

What were your thoughts Tony? Are you up for more sessions?
Chris M may be in for more sessions too!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:39 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking forward to another go at some stage - especially if she gets new boots.

Think Walter is spot on - she's not that hard to drive, you have to be braver thank you think and you need to wring its neck!
Old 08-24-2014, 03:16 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I'm looking forward to another go at some stage - especially if she gets new boots. Think Walter is spot on - she's not that hard to drive, you have to be braver thank you think and you need to wring its neck!
I didn't get any feedback on the Dunlop DZ II, but I will look for rims and put some on those for a time attack setup, at my own cost. I won't use them for the leaderboard runs though Still looking for a base car for 2k cup. I want to stick with the Integra base as it looks pretty much bullet proof. Not giving up running Herman on the track though, just taking it a bit easier. Thankfully no more leaks on the garage floor. NITT here we come!
Old 08-24-2014, 03:31 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Doug had an unstable idle that Dan tried to fix on the South Island tour by cleaning the ISV. I also tried to help by resetting with the Scantool. In the end it was fixed by buying a new ISV.

What year is Mr Black? The ECU box is easy to access. You could plug I'm my one with the Wong chip and see if you like it before stumping up cash.
Thats very kind of you John, however, i've already ordered the chip so lets see how we get on. I've had the idle adapted and cleaned the ISV and it actually looks pretty good. You can mod the ISV by machining the size if the valve a little larger to allow more air to flow. Might be worth a go though i'd probably have a new one on stand by

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
When I wrote silky smooth I meant the sound not the idle. Interestingly the idle was usually very solid, except when running AC. It would occasionally idle unstably when cold but only rarely. Maybe there is something getting old and causing an intermittent issue (1991). SW will probably sort it (just don't tell Peter).

Exhaust changes? Too loud? The sound is the bit I miss the most about Mr Black. Really growly without being Bogan (maybe I'm Bogan in denial).
Interesting Peter recommended I get one before he knew I had one on the way already. Must be softening in his old age I'm dumping the cat and replacing with a Scart item though i'm still waiting for my french mate to pull his finger out. I can't remember if I mentioned that i'm replacing the rear reflector and tail lights. Got them from Suncoast parts - far cheaper than any where else I could find
Old 08-24-2014, 03:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Thats very kind of you John, however, i've already ordered the chip so lets see how we get on. I've cleaned the ISV and it actually looks pretty good. You can mod the ISV by machining the size if the valve a little larger to allow more air to flow. Might be worth a go though i'd probably have a new one on stand by Interesting Peter recommended I get one before he knew I had one on the way already. Must be softening in his old age I'm dumping the cat and replacing with a Scart item though i'm still waiting for my french mate to pull his finger out
Not sure I'd mod the ISV, unless it was a last ditch effort and as you say, a new one is to hand. The ISV is nice and easy to access. Based on my effort this morning, hope that your engine mounts don't need replacing. On the Turbo 3.6, one mount won't come out unless you move the aircon compressor and take off exhaust parts to access the bottom bolt. I'd be on minimum wage if I was a mechanic given how slow I am.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:07 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Not sure I'd mod the ISV, unless it was a last ditch effort and as you say, a new one is to hand. The ISV is nice and easy to access. Based on my effort this morning, hope that your engine mounts don't need replacing. On the Turbo 3.6, one mount won't come out unless you move the aircon compressor and take off exhaust parts to access the bottom bolt. I'd be on minimum wage if I was a mechanic given how slow I am.
My ISV looked fine once cleaned but Lola kept stalling at idle when cold until replaced with a shiny new one. I think the solenoid inside must have been tired.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Got them from Suncoast parts - far cheaper than any where else I could find
Many of us now buying from the guys who have been supplying me for the last 8 years (FD Motorsport). They are CA based, charge freight only at USPS cost (very cheap, reliable and quick) and price is same as Suncoast but sometimes 5% less depending on items. Just an idea for the future. Small team two guys and they will replace stuff etc and really look after you...
Old 08-24-2014, 04:15 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

The irony is that you'd be much efficient and faster the next time you did it however theres a good chance you never have to. Still theres huge satisfaction of fettling you own car.

On another note. Even though i'd explicitly asked my car not be washed by a third party, they did and destroyed the paint correction i'd done recently. Mind you they did it with the best of intentions. To a car detailing geek it was in a shocking state. Thus I spent a good part of this weekend redoing it. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Here a are a couple of reflection shots. This first one is the refection off the bonnet, note the crest - sorry about the goober taking the shot.
Attached Images    
Old 08-24-2014, 04:19 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

sorry one more...
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2014, 04:21 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

I didn't get any feedback on the Dunlop DZ II, but I will look for rims and put some on those for a time attack setup, at my own cost. I won't use them for the leaderboard runs though Still looking for a base car for 2k cup. I want to stick with the Integra base as it looks pretty much bullet proof. Not giving up running Herman on the track though, just taking it a bit easier. Thankfully no more leaks on the garage floor. NITT here we come!
This one no good John? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-764338412.htm
Old 08-24-2014, 04:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^ That's unbelievable! As Ive said before...anytime you want to make your obsession pay let me know (I have a 80L tub full of the latest cleaning systems form Dodo Juice and others with little brushes and things but Ive never used them!). I never get time to groom my own cars living offshore.

You came out pretty lucky. Pete damaged the rear rim on my car (m5) going over a curb while taking for a test drive. We kinda fell out over that (getting it repaired/resprayed then it didnt match the other etc). As you say could have been worse but very annoying. I famously write all my instructions to Dean. The boys follow them to the letter and dont divert. They know Im an **** b*stard when it comes to my cars...except for my paint which is a bit shagged now...
Old 08-24-2014, 04:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

sorry one more...

Stunning. We should get you to have a go with BB
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2014, 04:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Jamie. You are the man. Thats 2 out of two (BB was your recommendation). John. Jump on it.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Jamie. You are the man. Thats 2 out of two (BB was your recommendation). John. Jump on it.
It has more power than BB, but still less than the 170hp in a VTI-R. With my weight I need all the power I can get. Keep them coming though Jamie
Old 08-24-2014, 04:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

OK. But I dont think 10kg is going to hold back your times John.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?