Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014 | 06:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
John,was thinking this morning. We could keep the Herman v Lola contest going if we both bought the same model of 2k cup cars. One white, one red. LOL
I've got a search out for another BB to have some car on car running, but manual 1800cc Integra's aren't as common as I thought they would be.

Yesterday, I received the Motive Power Bleeder and two engine mounts for the 996TT (not sure I need them, but I wanted to pad the order out and they were 993 parts for NZD 120 each so I pulled the trigger) Spend on all three cars has topped the cost of a year at Kings. It can't continue at that pace so when Ralf spends $92 on a set of front rotors the 2k cup is looking very attractive.
Old 08-07-2014 | 06:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Its real simple.

Take the kids out of Kings College LOL!

They are only getting expensive habits there in any case. Send them to Grammar if future school prowess is important to their intended careers and enjoy a couple of stress free Motorsports seasons in a Porsche. Hey if your lucky one of them will take a shine to it and may become an electronics engineer and future "mechanic".

All tongue in cheek of course :-)
Old 08-07-2014 | 07:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Speaking of BB. We now have 15 co-owners who stumped up $200 each so cash in is $3,000.

Ralf is going to HD tomorrow with new front pads and rotors. Jono (previous owner) will fit them for $60. That will bring the total spend on BB to $3,037.43 plus some TRD fluid to pay for on top of thatwhen the calipers are bled.

All going well, BB should be good to go on the 16th. Ralf, Chris and Neil will run in the normal Playday Group.

Thereafter, opportunities start to lean out. There is a motorsport have a go afternoon for $50 at the end of August. Maybe some of you could do that?

Doug is looking to drive BB to Taupo for the NITT on 11 September to give Micheal something to run with.

Post that I'm not sure.
Old 08-07-2014 | 07:08 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

^^^ Nice to see it coming along Dave. The journey can be a lot of fun I guess.
Really like the quality of thought going into your build Dave. Reminds me of some of the the tidier west coast US customs seen in the likes of 911 and Porsche World. Fascinated by the idea of the asymmetric buckets since they would be quite a unique signature and, most importantly, serve a practical purpose. On the flip side, you might find yourself needing to play with their lines and finishing a bit to avoid giving a visual impression of the seats falling out of the car.

I'd be pissed if the number plate was identifiable. I have thought of publishing the video of my crash but figured it would bite me in the **** one day. Happy to show it on a big screen in private on the 7th. Thanks to John's video prowess we have multiple angles and slow mo modes too :-)
Thanks for sharing it with RSG Doug. Might help reduce the chances of it happening to us too. Neil's comment that the same line had been fine in previous laps, along with that big fountain of water that shot up at the beginning of the skid has already seen make a mental note to stay wider there when it's very wet.

The size of the splash also had me wonder how much more water could be there from one lap to the next, but looking at how much shot up and sideways from his outside wheel it occurred to me that maybe it got there that way too. Conceivably I suppose that if there's a bit of a shallow basin there, a few preceding cars running a slightly wider wet line might throw enough extra water into it to make the difference. Regardless of whether that was involved here, it's one more thing I'll try to look out for.
Old 08-07-2014 | 07:15 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
You don't need much of those front guards anyway if you're doing a rauh-welt conversion:
http://www.vogueautodesign.com/VADDe...griff993R.aspx

Attachment 859812

Attachment 859813
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/11/hide-your-aircooled-porsches-because-rwb-is-raping-every-one-out-there/
Old 08-07-2014 | 07:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Walter, this gives you an idea. Same session. Ron's pass at the end was the same lap Doug had his accident.
Old 08-07-2014 | 07:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

An earlier session shows the build up of water and this was my driest session.
Old 08-07-2014 | 07:24 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Default BB sessions on the 23rd Aug 2014

Originally Posted by John McM
Speaking of BB. We now have 15 co-owners who stumped up $200 each so cash in is $3,000.

Ralf is going to HD tomorrow with new front pads and rotors. Jono (previous owner) will fit them for $60. That will bring the total spend on BB to $3,037.43 plus some TRD fluid to pay for on top of thatwhen the calipers are bled.

All going well, BB should be good to go on the 16th. Ralf, Chris and Neil will run in the normal Playday Group.

Thereafter, opportunities start to lean out. There is a motorsport have a go afternoon for $50 at the end of August. Maybe some of you could do that?

Doug is looking to drive BB to Taupo for the NITT on 11 September to give Micheal something to run with.

Post that I'm not sure.
Earlier this week I spoke to Chris - who's organising the pre-season shakedown meet on the 23rd at HD. He's happy for us to enter BB in the 1:20+ group, with multiple drivers possible. As I can't make the 16th I'm looking to enter her that following weekend. Which other owners haven't had a run yet? Who's up for seconds? There are four groups they're looking to cycle through each hour so potentially seven or eight 10 minute run sessions during the day all up on the 23rd.

Also - what's the deal with that have-a-go day John - is it on a weekend? Any more details?

PS - thanks for that footage John. That view of the puddles next to the pit entrance (16s into your run) is quite an eye opener. Seeing your spot of gardening at the end I can see why you flagged it after.
Old 08-07-2014 | 08:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Ive attached below a screenshot from you lap. Initially I was under the impression that the pooled water in the yellow circle and the wet line where they yellow arrow is was the culprit for both Neil & Dougs Robert Ho challenging pirouette. Doug, John, Neil is this the area that is to blame or is it the water running on the left of the track in the red circle?

My earlier comments about taking a different wet line higher on the left hand banked side of the track were based on the assumption the yellow areas are at fault. If this is indeed the case then Im sure the racers who have alot of wet track experience at HD can confer.

Manfield has a similar issue and it was highlighted by both Ray and Jamie when we were there last NITT. The wet track line there is different and required caution.

RSG has been lucky and run mostly dry track days in the last 18 months of existence. Obviously its not preferable running in the wet - after all we arent racing for points just circulating for fun, but Im thinking it may have come down in part to a lack of wet HD experience last weekend. It pretty difficult to correct your driving behaviour on a wet track if you dont know any different. Doug and Neil (ant may other RSGers there on the day) probably have between 700 and 1500 dry laps of HD each over the last 18 months. Hard to unlearn something when you arent aware of how the line should be run in the wet....
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2014 | 08:19 PM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Black one seems to have dropped off the market (sold?) pretty quickly.
Hi Peter, yes it's sold. I've bought the car. All happened pretty quick. I'm counting down the hours until it's ready to be picked up today!
Old 08-07-2014 | 08:23 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mjg
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/11/hide-your-aircooled-porsches-because-rwb-is-raping-every-one-out-there/
true dat
Old 08-07-2014 | 08:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Its a purists perspective, and a bit extreme for sure and I for one have always drawn the line at bare metal alterations to my cars, but I do admire artists like Nakai Sans and Gemballa and RUF (more tasteful conversions) purely from a creative perspective.

Not everything Nakai San does is over the top. The white car below is one of my all time favs.
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2014 | 08:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luke944
Hi Peter, yes it's sold. I've bought the car. All happened pretty quick. I'm counting down the hours until it's ready to be picked up today!
Brilliant buy, CONGRATS AND WELCOME TO THE 993 CLUB! Be sure to post pictures and history etc of the car so we can all learn more. The 993 group seem to be growing fast on here now (I think there are now 9 regular contributors on here with a 993).

Interestingly Pocher produced a rare 1/8th scale model of the 993 in your colours - might be worth hunting down for the office bookcase. I have the midnight blue variant and I think Jamie has/had the polar silver one....

P.S. Im guessing like Pete the Polar silver car on TM will be gone by the weekend, although HB is a more difficult location for many to view...
Attached Images     
Old 08-07-2014 | 08:46 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt38088
Dave those rear guards in your avatar pic look much more than just rolled - may be an optical illusion given the unpainted nature - deserves at least a 7" on the back??
Yes, I was thinking that too. Here's how they were which are dead stock. Steve had his man hammer the returns flat and maybe this gets a bit more of a flare going because of the process of hammer and dolly vs a rolling tool? if i had a bit more fiscal clout to throw at the project I'd probably have added RS flares but these could be a nice in between as they have turned out. I'm sure I'm not a boy racer, but the makings of an early 911 is the Stance and tyre / guard relationship.
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2014 | 08:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Walter, my thought is that BB is an equal resource to all owners. If you want to enter her into an event then go for it. Common courtesy is to tell others what you are thinking and invite all comers (within reason), but if you end up running her the whole day because no-one else wanted to share, then all the better for you. The only thing I ask is that we use the AIM Solo to record eligible times for the leaderboard. I'm happy to lend mine out.

BTW: The HRC Motorsports open day is mentioned here http://www.hamptondowns.com/pages/56/event-calendar.htm

PS: Owners yet to run are You, Tony, Matt, Jason. That assumes that Ralf pops his BB cherry on 16/8.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?