Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug. That's the spirit exciting times ahead!

Mate you dont want your car to be as loud as mine trust me. Not if you value the relationship with your neighbours.

John/Doug if you want to find proven horsepower in a 964 without changing cams, ECU etc then youd best talk to Steve. He has fettled many Bridestone 3.6 engines and can tell you exactly what can be done and what you can expect - if you can get something making around 270bhp like Sean's and the other series cars - that will be the best youll likely do before spending mega $$$ on a 3.8 set up with higher lift cams etc. Ive been down this route myself to much frustration and in hindsight would have left well alone having spent over 12K for very little gain (20bhp, 12lbft, a much more responsive throttle/mapping, slightly higher rev limit). Youd be far better off stripping 50kg from the car (cheaper) or just settling on the fact its an old aircooled car and there is other metal out there that's similar price can do the job much better (early GT3 etc). All IMO of course. If I were doing it all again I wouldn't touch the engine, flywheel etc. I would put in a Steve Wong chip, and RSR mufflers and thats it. I would put all my money into chassis/suspension/brakes/wheels/tyres and a bit of lightening. Paul's proven you can take a stock weight car with stock chairs and get it down to 1.16.20 with nothing more than a chip and spending your money on coilovers, suspension improvements and decent Geo.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:52 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
A question for Phil or Chris B. Are your 996TT exhaust tips both at the same level? My left one is noticeably lower than the right, which may signal the need to fit these
I just had a look and both look to be at the same level. I did a measure up as well and it seems the left hand side is 5mm higher than the right.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:40 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

nxzgfdshgfdytretwq
Old 08-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Graeme. Have the spam bots got you? large CAPs if so and we will send dorris to help....

dorris:
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2014, 08:49 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

woops cleaning crap off key board..

John those tyres look in good shape for that mileage and number of trackdays.
FVD is reputable and good gear. I had an FVD chip on my 06 boxster s which seemed pretty good. Definitely gave a much more responsive feel. No dyno check though as to hp
Old 08-09-2014, 08:51 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

haha yeah Macca
had a quick scan of web on M2 last night - and GT4 seems M2 pretty much locked in but GT4 very uncertain as to what is genuine information and what is speculation
Old 08-09-2014, 08:55 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

I would probably go gt4 if both were around 380-400hp but seems there is much more likelihood of m2 at 380+ than gt4
Old 08-09-2014, 09:19 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug. That's the spirit exciting times ahead! Mate you dont want your car to be as loud as mine trust me. Not if you value the relationship with your neighbours. John/Doug if you want to find proven horsepower in a 964 without changing cams, ECU etc then youd best talk to Steve. He has fettled many Bridestone 3.6 engines and can tell you exactly what can be done and what you can expect - if you can get something making around 270bhp like Sean's and the other series cars - that will be the best youll likely do before spending mega $$$ on a 3.8 set up with higher lift cams etc. Ive been down this route myself to much frustration and in hindsight would have left well alone having spent over 12K for very little gain (20bhp, 12lbft, a much more responsive throttle/mapping, slightly higher rev limit). Youd be far better off stripping 50kg from the car (cheaper) or just settling on the fact its an old aircooled car and there is other metal out there that's similar price can do the job much better (early GT3 etc). All IMO of course. If I were doing it all again I wouldn't touch the engine, flywheel etc. I would put in a Steve Wong chip, and RSR mufflers and thats it. I would put all my money into chassis/suspension/brakes/wheels/tyres and a bit of lightening. Paul's proven you can take a stock weight car with stock chairs and get it down to 1.16.20 with nothing more than a chip and spending your money on coilovers, suspension improvements and decent Geo.
Ha ha, I was only joking about straight pipes, loudness and more hp. I just came across that pipe last night :-P. I don't believe John and I are after more HP. After all it just increases the stress and wear on components.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Graeme. Im 100% with you.

Im awaiting information on the M2 and GT4 to formalise. I imagine the full spec of the M2 will be revealed by Geneva 2015 (March). Im expecting circa 380-400 bhp with a big dollop of torque. I expect retail UK to be 40K GBP so approx 100K in NZ landed. Id imagine list will be 125K+.

The GT4 is far harder to get a read on. It would have to be 380 BHP+ to be of interest to me. There may even be a more extreme version later. Id really like this car myself but it would have to be seriously good to comprise the plan on buying a practical second car. if it were THAT good Id possibly consider it as a replacement for the GT3...

Purely from a practical point of view the M3 (4 door) is still streets ahead. It will be a car Jo will drive mostly. We have two friends with these now and they are every impressed. Ive done the math and the savings arent as great as I would like (BMW pricing in NZ is a bit sharper than say PAG). Approx 25% which I think would be equivalent to the first 12 months depreciation. Its still better than nothing, a great excuse for a trip and transport while you are there. My Swiss broker can source at UK retail minus VAT and supply at 5% on retail for non M cars. The key this time will be to use the tables below to lower GST inbound - in hindsight I should have done this with the GT3 and saved a further 9K!

Thanks for reminding me on the FX. Im mostly in USD these days and thus not paid too much attention to the NZD/Euro cross. But you are right - Ill pick up some GBP & Euro I think shortly on a dip as the NZD seems t have softened just now! All above plans only work if GBP net cost is 0.50 to 1 and Euro 0.63 net to 1
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Ha ha, I was only joking about straight pipes, loudness and more hp. I just came across that pipe last night :-P. I don't believe John and I are after more HP. After all it just increases the stress and wear on components.
No dramas. I was point worth noting none the less in relation to Johns ECU/MAF package link.

FVD are good but they dont manufacture most of what they sell - more an online shop front consolidator of goods. Only issue is Ive found them to be very expensive for shipping and not so felixble etc
Old 08-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Graeme - one of my biggest regrets was not pushing the button on importing a new BMW 1M in early 2012. I had a brand new one all lined up which would have cost me 83K NZD landed. When I took Claytons demo they wanted 110K for it (list with options around 118K). The 1M has become such a cult car due to low volumes that you still pay list price for a used on in the UK and in NZ about 80-90K for one thats 2 years old and covered 25K Km! Would have been a great 2+ year depreciation proof car and a lot of fun to drive to boot!

Question is can M2 steep into 1M shoes? May are hoping so but only time will tell...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-763398190.htm
Old 08-09-2014, 11:09 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Macca does it have to be continuous personal use? to qualify for the depn or can you go back and get it?
Old 08-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Graeme. No, I believe it just needs to be registered to you over that period - so you could go back and use it again and still qualify etc.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:29 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

definitely food for thought
Old 08-10-2014, 02:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I suspect I'll be doing a bit of sneaking out to the garage for extra "time on the car" over coming months too John. Been cleaning grime off paving and other uninteresting tasks around the house. My good remaining reflector is exposed. I guess I should tape a plastic cover over it for the trip home and be careful not to fingerprint it or anything! Chris has kindly lent me his 4 caster jacks (for me to move Lola around in the garage) and his transport trailer so I can back it up the driveway (Troy's truck won't fit under the pergola). I expect to have her home on Tuesday afternoon. I'll need to get a few neighbours to help push her up the gentle slope into the garage. Looking forward to the project getting underway.
That's the spirit Doug. Yes, put a cover over that reflector. We can rebuild a headlight with that I just cleaned out one on Herman. I now know that you need to be sure the person before you correctly assembled it otherwise reassembly in the same way could be wrong. This was the headlight that had cracked glass that was replaced before purchase. If the wire clamps are incorrectly oriented then the headlight won't fit snugly on the wing seal and might leak. Space saver and frunk carpet are going back in tonight. Now I have to work out how to rearrange the scaffolding so I can drive the 964s. This paint job is going to take a long time.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?