Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Now that's what Im talking about Dave!

Great idea regards the door handle and storage tray. Clever thinking having the passenger longer than the drivers. These will look a superb mix of industrial and traditional leather when finished with your brown hide and faux weave welted/"box weave" door card.

You are really getting into this and I implore you - if I had have run my project from NZ I would have certainly looked to do more of the same (as it was getting classic grey leather matched in NZ and fedex'd to where my CF seats were built in Asia for covering by the factory was about the limits of my ability!).

I didnt tell you about the custom CF RS door cards did I? They made these for me, sent me the pictures just before shipping them - I looked at them as it occurred to me they were LHD units (993 has two power switched for windows on drivers side but one on passenger as you will recall). They had had 6" speaker holes already custom cut and bevelled into the CF sheets for my Focal Glass with cross overs). Theres me thinking they probably just reverse them for RHD - i.e. swap sides). Purely by chance I mention it to find that they aren't double sided (i.e. not wet finished on reverse side), the manufacturer has cocked up and he has to make a whole second set ($1500usd) so I now have the only RHD ones I know of on the planet - at least from him and he's the only one I know doing them! Alot more work goes into these projects than people give credit for. Like going through 3 sets of internal instrument & interior LEDs to get a set that were passable for colour/warmth ha ha.

I digress. Its looking really good Dave. I guess the fine line is between Mad Max and Matrix (thinking the seats they lay on to go into the matrix).

Im liking the leather loop release but I think you will need to be careful with the execution in order not to make it too wild west. Keep it simple I guess but you can play with it at the end.

Keep up the good work and the pictures when able. The seat project is a big one - have you decided on a way forward with that?
Yes, a fine line here between tasteful and a hippies trinket shop. I'm picking up the lower door card screw fixings for securing the door pockets so they can come and go without evidence of being there if it is too much.

The seats. Back to plan A. Graeme's lead with Racetech was promising but it got to hard for them ( headrests and leather) and the enthusiasm waned somewhat on their part. I have two new FG race seat shells and will start work on these soon. Tops and shoulder wings come off and a separate head rest and mechanism will be grafted in. I am dead set that they must be accessible so that there are no excuses not to just jump in and drive. The height of the thigh supports has been a challenge getting race seats that aren't too deep here. An emerging thought is that i might lower the side height a smidge on the door side only - non symmetrical seats. Weird and you wouldn't notice but Totally functional.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm thinking the style of fastener head you use here could help change the look here. I noted on the GT3 they have used Torx everywhere (to reduce cam out on turn more than to be pretty I suspect but they do look purdier than philips). Sometime lare wide slots look great (coin sized slots for turn).

Sorry to hear seats have reverted to plan B. Looking forward to what you come up with here.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:54 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Dave, really good work. Will the exterior have a few stylized elements too? This could become a mini Magnus!!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:16 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Im must confess although I botched the turn in point for Turn 2 and 4 all day at HD on the 16th I didnt have any issues at all with turn 1 and I think I have cured my fear of it. I still respect it but was actually getting a bit of a high piling into it at 230+kmph in the GT3 (and in one case when overtaking the Gulf 964 left my braking a bit late and had to correct a bit of over steer with steering mid way around).
Hard, bro.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Hard, bro.
????
Old 08-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Dave, really good work. Will the exterior have a few stylized elements too? This could become a mini Magnus!!
The outside is pretty stock. All steel and the only body mods are rolled guards to take maximum tyre size on a narrow body and sill and bumper trim delete. It will run quite low have spaced deep 6 Fuchs and generally be pretty clean looking. Twin outlet rear exhaust for the 3.2. I'll start there and play about with side scripts / blank race number discs and the like and see how it evolves. Objective is purposeful looking sleeper.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:47 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Talking about Magnus like.... I had a sleepless night last night and dreamt about putting carbon guards on the 964, leaving them black and having a multi-coloured paint scheme like Magnus.

Then I dreamed of driving over a rise at pace leaving the ground slightly, it was like being in the targa tour, then the road turned into a lumpy dirt track. I woke up at that point so don't know how it was going to turn out but it wasn't good.

The subconscious is working hard! Are these signs? ;-P
Old 08-07-2014, 04:49 PM
O2GO
Drifting

John,was thinking this morning. We could keep the Herman v Lola contest going if we both bought the same model of 2k cup cars. One white, one red. LOL
Old 08-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. I think what you are going through is to be expected. Chris M went through something similar I believe.

MA Shaw in USA used to make some CF guards and front bumpers at "reasonable" cost :-)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:40 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

and also check out dp motorsport for carbon body parts
Old 08-07-2014, 05:43 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Black one seems to have dropped off the market (sold?) pretty quickly.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:45 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Dave those rear guards in your avatar pic look much more than just rolled - may be an optical illusion given the unpainted nature - deserves at least a 7" on the back??
Old 08-07-2014, 06:00 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks Macca and Graeme Lots to think about. Next step is getting together with Dean and Steve at HD where the car is and doing a thorough review. Then I'll ship it back to my "workshop" aka garage.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Thanks Macca and Graeme Lots to think about. Next step is getting together with Dean and Steve at HD where the car is and doing a thorough review. Then I'll ship it back to my "workshop" aka garage.
You don't need much of those front guards anyway if you're doing a rauh-welt conversion:
http://www.vogueautodesign.com/VADDe...griff993R.aspx

Attachment 859812

Attachment 859813

Last edited by Runtothehills; 02-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Doug, I thought of Sunday when I ordered this. Black humour is better than no humour!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?