Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Ive attached below a screenshot from you lap. Initially I was under the impression that the pooled water in the yellow circle and the wet line where they yellow arrow is was the culprit for both Neil & Dougs Robert Ho challenging pirouette. Doug, John, Neil is this the area that is to blame or is it the water running on the left of the track in the red circle?

My earlier comments about taking a different wet line higher on the left hand banked side of the track were based on the assumption the yellow areas are at fault. If this is indeed the case then Im sure the racers who have alot of wet track experience at HD can confer.

Manfield has a similar issue and it was highlighted by both Ray and Jamie when we were there last NITT. The wet track line there is different and required caution.

RSG has been lucky and run mostly dry track days in the last 18 months of existence. Obviously its not preferable running in the wet - after all we arent racing for points just circulating for fun, but Im thinking it may have come down in part to a lack of wet HD experience last weekend. It pretty difficult to correct your driving behaviour on a wet track if you dont know any different. Doug and Neil (ant may other RSGers there on the day) probably have between 700 and 1500 dry laps of HD each over the last 18 months. Hard to unlearn something when you arent aware of how the line should be run in the wet....
Macca, the footage of Neil is indistinct as the spin started well back. My footage of Doug taken from a closer vantage point appears to show him starting to lose it in the area between the start of the pit wall and the grid markers.

I think you nailed it when you wrote, "Obviously its not preferable running in the wet". That's my take out from this. We're a fun group running mostly road cars. There's no money, glory or trophies for what we do.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luke944
Hi Peter, yes it's sold. I've bought the car. All happened pretty quick. I'm counting down the hours until it's ready to be picked up today!
Congratulations. A great feeling I can still remember when I saw my Turbo 3.6 for the first time.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Peter, yes it's sold. I've bought the car. All happened pretty quick. I'm counting down the hours until it's ready to be picked up today!
Awesome, and well done on moving smartly. Nothing like the buzz of driving a new purchase. The bonus with cars like ours though is that the buzz can run for years. Polishing up your old one for sale or are you heading for a garage like John's?

@Tony/Matt/Jason - in for BB at HD on the 23rd perhaps? Just a share of $130 entry and fuel.

@John - thanks for the kind AIM loan offer - will take you up on that. I don't think video based estimates will cut it. I couldn't work out whether the HRC day "small groups on track" would allow passing etc so figured the Pre-season day might better let BB stretch her legs.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Awesome, and well done on moving smartly. Nothing like the buzz of driving a new purchase. The bonus with cars like ours though is that the buzz can run for years. Polishing up your old one for sale or are you heading for a garage like John's?
Hey, I resemble that comment. If my auto bid isn't taken out on the 944 auction things could get very tight in my garage.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:43 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, the footage of Neil is indistinct as the spin started well back. My footage of Doug taken from a closer vantage point appears to show him starting to lose it in the area between the start of the pit wall and the grid markers.
Neil's spin started there too by the looks, but he's obviously better placed to confirm. I believe the pole of the camera that took Neil's footage is clearly visible against the sky at 24s into your run John, as you started into Turn 1. A passenger in your car would have just gained sight of that same pole while entering those puddles (wheel ruts on the typical dry line next to pit entrance at 16s in your run vid). Looking back the other way down the straight from the camera pole at turn one then, cars on a tightish line would just hove into its view at that same point. Would be interesting to know the lines the fastest racers like Tim James and Kevin Etches were taking with their gun rain tyres. I suspect straddling the ruts or going wider?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome news - another one into the Rennlist family. I liked the colour combo - a bit classic and a bit unique. Congratulations and hope to see it out sometime. Where are you based?
Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Ralf G
Instructor

I thought I prepare myself for the 16th on BB and look at the RS2analysis traces posted.
Easy peasy, I thought, somewhere in the last couple of posts in the thread, just search a bit.
Hm, I am searching now for a while and think I have dementia, can't find anything.
Has it been posted here or was it in the RSG site?
Can someone give me a hint?
Old 08-08-2014, 12:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ralf G
I thought I prepare myself for the 16th on BB and look at the RS2analysis traces posted. Easy peasy, I thought, somewhere in the last couple of posts in the thread, just search a bit. Hm, I am searching now for a while and think I have dementia, can't find anything. Has it been posted here or was it in the RSG site? Can someone give me a hint?
Ralf, I posted them on here. Think it either Sunday or Monday.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:38 AM
Ralf G
Instructor

Ralf, I posted them on here. Think it either Sunday or Monday.
Thanks heaps, found it now. Must have been blind beforehand :-)
Old 08-08-2014, 12:50 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ralf G
Thanks heaps, found it now. Must have been blind beforehand :-)
Just follow whatever Chris is doing. Easy strategy. I should have put a GoPro on him
Old 08-08-2014, 01:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

....and don't bother going out if its pouring with rain ;-)

Last edited by Macca; 08-08-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:10 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Default Searching the NZ Rennlist thread for particular posts

Just follow whatever Chris is doing. Easy strategy. I should have put a GoPro on him
LOL - gotta second that. Fastest to date, and a nice smooth trace too.

@Ralf - Refinding stuff is the biggest downside of this mega thread but the camaraderie makes up for it. I find that adding the word 'zealand' to the Rennlist search does wonders - as does clicking on 'Posts' rather than 'Threads' in the header bar above the search results (only just discovered that 'Posts' setting just now - could've saved me hours).
Old 08-08-2014, 01:13 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
....and don't bother going out if its pouring with rain ;-)
I think BB would be the most fun in the rain. You can do anything with so little money at risk.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mmmm. I was concerned more for the health of the driver. Im convinced either of my 911 is a better bet to protect me than Honda Integra....
Old 08-08-2014, 01:24 AM
mjg
Pro

It's up to each individual to chose their own level of risk.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?