Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 06:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Trademe tipo. Noise is being made on the FB Air cooled group about the Aussie buyer.
TM tipo grey 964 sold two nights ago to A guy looking at Jamie's car. He's from Auckland. Jamie can tell more...
Old 11-19-2015, 02:25 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
TM tipo grey 964 sold two nights ago to A guy looking at Jamie's car. He's from Auckland. Jamie can tell more...
See I'm such a nice guy I emailed the link to a guy looking at my car I don't know whether Ian managed to secure it. He emailed 5 times (no contact number) and a day later he still had no reply then we saw the comment in the auction that it was temporarily withdrawn? I'm picking he got a flood of inquiries and realised it was too cheap.

Unlike this guy http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=984752201
Old 11-19-2015, 02:55 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

https://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=fcw561

I'm trying to locate the pic of this car crushed but its not on my Mac, must be on my Hardrive. Macca you must have one under your anorak??
Old 11-19-2015, 02:57 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

https://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=fcw561

I'm trying to locate the pic of this car crushed but its not on my Mac, must be on my Hardrive. Macca you must have one under your anorak??
Old 11-19-2015, 03:05 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Was this the car that got a slap at the track a few years back? The owner at the time also had the "cursed" RUF for sale that was $70-80k?
Old 11-19-2015, 03:09 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris_chch
Was this the car that got a slap at the track a few years back? The owner at the time also had the "cursed" RUF for sale that was $70-80k?
This was the one that a container or digger/forklift?? fell on it crushing the front screen, pillar etc etc. I have a pic somewhere just not at work... From memory the guy owned a heavy machinery company and I think one of them tipped onto the cab. Much much later he actually posted the story here on Rennlist somewhere.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:32 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Couple of interesting cars in australia are what would seem on the outside as keenly priced

Can't imagine the T will site around for too long at $AU80k

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/para-...11t/1095490912

Left hooker but for $AU20k a bit of a sleeper and gotta be a bit of a bargain? and i'm getting more and more excited by 914's ever since i saw the blue one down at Milford

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...SSE-AD-3693809

Old 11-19-2015, 03:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
See I'm such a nice guy I emailed the link to a guy looking at my car I don't know whether Ian managed to secure it. He emailed 5 times (no contact number) and a day later he still had no reply then we saw the comment in the auction that it was temporarily withdrawn? I'm picking he got a flood of inquiries and realised it was too cheap. Unlike this guy http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=984752201
So it could have gone to the mysterious Aussie?

I'm looking for a project after Herman and I'm not liking this trend. I'm thinking of a stripped out tipo for the track. If Nathan can do 1.20.9 at HD with a full weight one then imagine what 150/200kg stripped out of one would do?
Old 11-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jamie, your wish is my command....

Duttons in CHCH must be dealing 993 crack with Max in Auckland!

They have a 993 C4 for 219K and now this 993 RUF BTR convertible (a car well known to me) for $299K which even with perfect providence (which it doesn't have - see below) wouldn't be worth more than half what they are asking in the NZ market...

To even represent a car a this level without not openly disclosing the background etc I believe is poor practice (I assume if yu call them they will nottell you of the damage) - especially when your trying to hock your cars off at the level these guys are - they are clearly aiming for the blind offshore UK buyer?

Brian C from Nelson (BcAway) did the repair and sold it. I think maybe around 70-80K a couple of years back....

There is a predal box conversion done to this car and there was turbo and engine upgrades done by its first NZ owner (a surgeon) who boosted it to 570 bhp from memory and had a bit of fun on the strip with it. Not sure how many of these upgrades remain.

I think I have a few more from different angles but this gives you the general idea...

Gosh aren't 993 prices looking healthy right now? 120K/120K/219K/299K. After listening to Buba moaning for a long while how 964 were going through the roof and and 993s were not moving and being left behind....:-P

Seriously though. Its all a load of bollocks!
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

That is nasty!
Old 11-19-2015, 04:04 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris_chch
That is nasty!
Nothing a bit of T-Cut wouldn't polish out
Old 11-19-2015, 04:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
So it could have gone to the mysterious Aussie?

I'm looking for a project after Herman and I'm not liking this trend. I'm thinking of a stripped out tipo for the track. If Nathan can do 1.20.9 at HD with a full weight one then imagine what 150/200kg stripped out of one would do?

Dont get Buba-itis mate." You tart up your ride and then park it". Seriously this should be a warning to others on here "don't paint your car"!! :-)

But seriously. You want to spend 35K on a 964 tipo then dump another 10-15K to make it track reliable (add 5-10K more if track competitive) when you have a perfectly good 964 MT in the garage that can already deliver 18s, looks great, is "mechanically refreshed" and will be more fun to do it in (means more, has more sentiment and presumably will be in your ownership longer)? Wouldnt you be better taking the 50-60K and buying a nicely set up Cayman S, or an Elise or a 997 C2, or a decent carrera 3.2 etc etc etc?

Just playing devils advocate here mate.

Jamies guy got onto the owner of the Tipo straight away (or tried to). I was across this. If an Australian got it first he must have had managed to get the car very quick. I think Jamies theory is best and he realized from the reaction perhaps he was low on price. There may have been some do gooders out there that told him so outright. I think there are now many more vouyers reading this thread than we think...
Old 11-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I reckon this mysterious Aussie may be a trumped up thing. there is one Australian in the market Im aware of and hes bid on a few cars. Maybe there are two. But anything decent is + 50% rule for Aussie. Paul and I are on the same page with this now. Take a 65K NZD TM 964 C2 in very nice condition and it becomes 105K in Australia plus state stamp duty, registration, compliance, service, MAF (fumigation), plates, insurance, de-vanning and port fees, customs handling agent fees and any work needed to comply. To be safe lets say 115K. Pre 89 (classic) are cheaper to import to Australia.

If you have the patience and willing to take a little risk (mainly compliance - i.e. rust failing compliance e etc) then there is definitely some profit can be made buying old 964 and sending to Australia, but the supply line is thin, the quality is (relatively) poor to middling and the profit is not big in $$$$ terms for the capital outlay and risk and in my mind doesn't reward the arbitrage sufficiently to make the effort worth while...Good story for scaring Kiwi buyers tho :-)
Old 11-19-2015, 04:26 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

John - molesting a 964 Tipo into a track rat is a terrible and expensive idea. Better to get a gen 1 Boxster S and go down a route similar to Chris B. Lots to tinker with and a quicker end result I would expect. Or as Macca has suggested, buy an Elise or even the Exige S that's been sitting around for $67k for months (offer them $55 so I can swoop in with $59 and take it off their hands .
Old 11-19-2015, 04:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Dont get Buba-itis mate." You tart up your ride and then park it". Seriously this should be a warning to others on here "don't paint your car"!! :-) But seriously. You want to spend 35K on a 964 tipo then dump another 10-15K to make it track reliable (add 5-10K more if track competitive) when you have a perfectly good 964 MT in the garage that can already deliver 18s, looks great, is "mechanically refreshed" and will be more fun to do it in (means more, has more sentiment and presumably will be in your ownership longer)? Wouldnt you be better taking the 50-60K and buying a nicely set up Cayman S, or an Elise or a 997 C2, or a decent carrera 3.2 etc etc etc? Just playing devils advocate here mate. Jamies guy got onto the owner of the Tipo straight away (or tried to). I was across this. If an Australian got it first he must have had managed to get the car very quick. I think Jamies theory is best and he realized from the reaction perhaps he was low on price. There may have been some do gooders out there that told him so outright. I think there are now many more vouyers reading this thread than we think...
Herman is the long term (no intention of selling ever), and will be tracked (I will enter the regularity trials at the Porsche Festival despite a number of delays in the refurb making it tight).

The tipo would use my existing gear and be stripped (zero cost performance improvement) I've no intention of throwing any money at it to make it track reliable or even holding it in the long term. If it breaks I will fix whatever goes. Minimal maintenance compared to Herman which has had a preventative program up the yang yang.

If I were to find a racing budget after the 2k cup it would be a caged Cayman. I want someone else to blaze that trail first, which is being done.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?