Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 03:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Macca, in Lola in the dry I come over the rise on turn three with about 3/4 throttle and then pushing 4/4 as I blead out to the right hand side of the track. It takes bottle but the power gives the car the grip needed. Coming off the throttle there gets things spinning. As I and a few others know from personal experience.
If you come in over the ripple strip on turn 3 you need to keep the throttle on and unwind the steering, letting the car push well right. Ask me how I know!
Old 07-20-2014, 03:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ndewar
I have missed all the posts here on rennlist and it has taken me the whole day to catch up with the conversations. Memories of RSG yesterday....... Seeing the 991 gt3 in my rear view mirror before noticing the 993 behind it. Wow. Getting over the freezing cold and finally on the track after the fog lifted with the beautiful red 991 gt3. Richard can shift!!!! Really enjoyed the track sessions and particularly following Mark in his GT 3 after waiting for him to take it out all day. Might this be a good time for me to put in an offer on the 993 ? Thanks to Steve for bringing and allowing me a session in the 968 race car. Wonderful ,light ,responsive and challenging. First time I have driven a LHD car. Very fast too. Finding out and getting a part of the BB . What a fantastic idea. It didn't take me long to get the money out and luckily a chance to get a session. Thanks to everyone who had a hand in the planning and purchase of a great little car which I think will become a highlight of RSG. What a difference driving BB compared to my car!!! I really am very spoilt, and it will be a challenge to get the times down but a true measure of the driver as long as the car stays stable. John, I would be keen to share a session with BB at the Playdays 2 August. Let me know if you are still keen. Finally , guys, thanks for such a fun day and for the chance to share it with a great bunch of people.
Neil, welcome to Rennlist.

Let's book the normal group on the 2nd. I'm sure one or two others will join us. If they don't we will have plenty of sessions to make it further up the leaderboard. Do you want to see a trace of your fastest run vs Dave @ 1.28.50?
Old 07-20-2014, 04:08 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks John, I will be there with my son in the prestige group and would love to join you in a general group. The next day (3rd) is the PCNZ sprint series so will have two days in a row . Bliss.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Edit: That's a nice idea but you miss the opportunity to put some miles on Helga. By then I'll be up for a few days off. Over Easter there were several coastal "excursions" planned to some of the remote east coastline in the far north that we ran out of time for. We found a really nice house in Mangonui where we stayed a couple of nights. A far north trip would mean cars can be swapped/hardened up on the way through Auckland as we join Ron for an interesting b-road trip to Taupo. I found some nice roads i'd like to drive again. By September the roads should be repaired and all back to normal. http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/12494.asp
So NITT ++ ? I would take the Turbo 3.6 up there.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:21 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Macca you did pretty good for a newbie at HD. I understand you did an early 17 in the 993, that's seriously quick given we all have 500 laps on you.

Your biggest issue is figuring out how to dial your car in from an island?? Mind you copying your geo helped me :-). My set up is a poor mans version of yours.

On turn 3 I take my foot off the accelerator to about 20% at the rumble strip/apex for a brief moment to allow the car to turn in, and then flat to the floorboards to the next turn. There is no way any of us go through turn 3 flat out.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:22 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Hi again john, I would love to see a trace of my run vs Daves.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks John, I will be there with my son in the prestige group and would love to join you in a general group. The next day (3rd) is the PCNZ sprint series so will have two days in a row . Bliss.
Great. Yes, I'm at the Sprints as well. My Birthday weekend. Hopefully Lola won't turn up with any more mods. I'm running out of weight reductions. A couple of kilos in the catalytic converter core to come out but otherwise I need all of the practice I can get.

Btw Doug - Herman's brake lights now come on very late. I think what you've been seeing is a sensitive switch. My problem is over braking rather than early braking.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Great. Yes, I'm at the Sprints as well. My Birthday weekend. Hopefully Lola won't turn up with any more mods. I'm running out of weight reductions. A couple of kilos in the catalytic converter core to come out but otherwise I need all of the practice I can get
John - sorry mate but Doug and I are planning to swap cup 2's for a few secessions just to see how Lola goes on 221's.

Time to burst Lola's sub 1.20 cherry................
Old 07-20-2014, 04:33 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Hi again john, I would love to see a trace of my run vs Daves.
Here you go. Dave is Green, You are Red. Looks like you will get there just by sorting out turn 3 and 4. BTW You had 3 runs within 0.1 second. They were all extremely similar. Your Vmax is also very similar to Dave.
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2014, 04:36 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

^^^^^ Dave is freakishly faster in the sweeper than the rest of us. It is interesting that we are all within 1 sec - shows our driving abilities are all about the same.......
Old 07-20-2014, 04:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^^^ Dave is freakishly faster in the sweeper than the rest of us. It is interesting that we are all within 1 sec - shows our driving abilities are all about the same.......
Yes, but what Neil ran was almost the same time i.e. there's more than one way to do it.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:50 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
Neil, welcome to Rennlist.

Let's book the normal group on the 2nd. I'm sure one or two others will join us. If they don't we will have plenty of sessions to make it further up the leaderboard. Do you want to see a trace of your fastest run vs Dave @ 1.28.50?
All this talk about cars and tracks and watching yesterday is giving me withdrawl symptons! I've booked for bent sprints so I can chase Neil around and I'm keen to have a go in BB on the Saturday so count me in.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:56 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Errr ........I wonder if the organisers would allow BB at the sprints??

Matt, are you coming to the sprints - we haven't seen you in while??
Old 07-20-2014, 04:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
All this talk about cars and tracks and watching yesterday is giving me withdrawl symptons! I've booked for bent sprints so I can chase Neil around and I'm keen to have a go in BB on the Saturday so count me in.
Good one Chris. Btw my time in Tonga was spent with two other guys. One of them, Nicolas the Argentinian, is ex Fonterra.

Any more starters for 2 August? Particularly the guys who've yet to run a session.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:01 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Dave is smooth as well. Check out his barrel 51 versus Doug's.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?