Sponsored by:

Prices Keep Drifting Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 03:17 PM
joetaf27
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
Would be interesting to know if this car, which was obviously a 'maintenance-ignored' vehicle, has bore scoring.
He tore the engine down and rebuilt it.. it did not have any bore scoring issues..
Old 02-15-2022, 03:46 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by joetaf27
He tore the engine down and rebuilt it.. it did not have any bore scoring issues..
Can you draw any conclusions from this? Like.. prev owners did regular oil changes? Just got lucky? 996.1 is not prone to bore scoring as much as new models? or, 159K miles not enough to bore score?
Old 02-15-2022, 04:07 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,567 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGoDoDo
Wonder if he added this sticker or was it there when he bought it. Either way, hes moving this car after some pretty extensive service. No affiliation, just happened to stumble upon it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr7rpjBnZwA

Originally Posted by bdronsick
Absurdly cheap he posted almost immediately he had at least 10 full price offers; good for him

I would have liked if he had said he found (and fixed ) a crack in the head causing the intermix.... My gut says that this car is not fixed by what he said they did. A leaking head-gasket never happens on these engines, and a oil cooler or AOS causing the intermix is so very rare. Its a lot more likely that it has a hairline crack in the head that was missed (not pressure tested). So if any one here is interested in this car, please put some more miles on this engine and check the reservoir again for oil..
Old 02-15-2022, 04:10 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by bdronsick
Listen

Porsche can't glue VW Beetle headlights onto the 996 and eat that cake too with 175K previous customers

Porsche literally threw our cars into Road & Track's crusher for twenty straight years

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...e-collectible/

Suddenly Porsche wants to sell GenX 175,000 "Classic" radios??

Save your $3K radios for Taycan "Turbo" customers in another twenty years

"I'm gone, ooh, yeah, ooh
Baby, let me run, yeah
I'm a spark on the horizon"

Porsche
That Road & Track opinion piece seems overly harsh and not likely to come to pass as current trends tend to point out.

The closest Baruth gets to correct is with this statement: "I’d also be remiss if I didn’t mention that fact that the Electric Singularity is probably going to arrive within the next 30 years or so, at which point owning a gasoline-powered car will become a difficult and expensive pastime for a relatively small number of high-net-worth people. Overnight, the collector market will collapse to a blue-chips-only situation."

Here I think he is underestimating the upcoming storm by at least 5 to 10 years. This will indeed dampen (if not ultimately destroy) the collector's market, leaving only the most rare and desirable models to be parked in museums and occasional private garages. We would like to think the next 30 years will be much like the last 30 years, but they won't.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:10 PM
Icelia
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I would have liked if he had said he found (and fixed ) a crack in the head causing the intermix.... My gut says that this car is not fixed by what he said they did. A leaking head-gasket never happens on these engines, and a oil cooler or AOS causing the intermix is so very rare. Its a lot more likely that it has a hairline crack in the head that was missed (not pressure tested). So if any one here is interested in this car, please put some more miles on this engine and check the reservoir again for oil..
The price is low enough you can price in an engine replace. ( I am sure it sold already) I paid less than this for my '99 knowing I had priced in a rebuild already.
The price does make it seem suspicious.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:20 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by redlineblue
Pretty sure I'm Mr. Peanut in this scenario, so I have to ask: What is meant by "wrong skirts"? These are the only "flared rocker panels" one could get on a 2002 Carrera. There's no reason to think they weren't installed at the factory, when the car was first built. My 2002 996.2 Carrera has the same rockers, listed on the Monroney as a $1750 'Exclusive Option', and on the underhood and owners manual stickers (X76).
So if "wrong" means "not "original to the car", the "skirts" on the car aren't wrong. Of course, if wrong just means "I don't like it", well... that's the Porsche-fan way, Right?
Hey Mr. Peanut! (LOL! J/K) I've owned my '99 for a little over 15 years and have been here for a little longer than that. I certainly don't claim to know all there is about the .2 but am definitely an expert on the .1 The side skirts in question originally were designed for the .1. and that's what mine has. Almost every .2 I've seen have different skirts which are more angular than the rounded .1s. Were both offered at the same time? Did the newer skirts come out later? I have no idea. That's why I said they are both OEM and some people use one or the other on either models. See below. Sorry for the large pics. Hope this helps!

Random photo

My p-car
Old 02-15-2022, 04:36 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Icelia
The price is low enough you can price in an engine replace. ( I am sure it sold already) I paid less than this for my '99 knowing I had priced in a rebuild already.
The price does make it seem suspicious.
Well $18,500 sounds like a high price for a roller to me. And that's what I would have valued the car at, until it proves otherwise.

The owner made no definitive statement about finding the intermix problem , just a bunch of statements on the parts they replaced (threw at the car)..

The MLS head-gaskets NEVER fail, the AOS will not cause a "oil in coolant only " scenario, and the oil cooler has proven to be only about 5 out of 100 cases. 95 % of the time this scenario is a hair-line crack in a head...

That's the way I see it ....YMMV .. we may never know unless the car pops up here... ,

The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 04:46 PM
GoGoDoDo
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Well $18,500 sounds like a high price for a roller to me. And that's what I would have valued the car at, until it proves otherwise.

The owner made no definitive statement about finding the intermix problem , just a bunch of statements on the parts they replaced (threw at the car)..

The MLS head-gaskets NEVER fail, the AOS will not cause a "oil in coolant only " scenario, and the oil cooler has proven to be only about 5 out of 100 cases. 95 % of the time this scenario is a hair-line crack in a head...

That's the way I see it ....YMMV .. we may never know unless the car pops up here... ,
I'm mechanically inexperienced compared to many here. But if you watch the series, he had the motor apart to the bearing carrier and had block sent out to ensure no scoring etc.. He then, if I am not mistaken, replaced both heads. But I watched a few in this series and, while not a complete rebuild, looked pretty damn close. Anyway, open to being educated even further. :-)

Last edited by GoGoDoDo; 02-15-2022 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:00 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoGoDoDo
I'm not tremendously mechanically experienced like many here. But if you watch the series, he had the motor apart to the bearing carrier and had block sent out to ensure no scoring etc.. He then, if I am not mistaken, replaced both heads. But I watched a few in this series and, while not a complete rebuild, looked pretty damn close. Anyway, open to being educated even further. :-)
Thanks ...I was just going off of what he said in this video. It wasn't very reassuring at all to me ..lol

The owner may not have explained what ALL was done very well, or he may not be mechanically inclined himself. I was just going off the one video presentation and thought the main interest would be what had ACTUALLY failed, and that it was found and properly repaired. Maybe he just forgot to mention that...lol

If I have time I will go look at the Series and see if there is any mention of actually finding proof positive of the failure and fix...
The following users liked this post:
VintageCollector (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 05:22 PM
redlineblue
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't you make me drop this monocle!!1!
>>>Almost every .2 I've seen have different skirts which are more angular than the rounded .1s.
That's because 2003 + 2004 = moar cars than 2002 alone, and the angular 'skirts' are a 2003 -04 item.
>>>Were both offered at the same time?
No, the 'soft curve skirts' were the (only) "Flared Rocker Panels" offered in the first year of 996.2 production, which is 2002.

If you see 'soft-curve' flared sills on a 996.2, there's an excellent chance they're factory-original and you're looking at a 2002 model. Those sills are a '99 - 02 item, not a .1 item. (No need to take several current/recent flare-silled '02s, on BaT and elsewhere, as proof, much less to take my word for it: see @bdronsick post above).

That speed yellow car's beautiful, and so's your cabriolet. I can tell from the sills alone the SY car's not a 2002 -- just another weird little 911 wrinkle in a catalog that's stuffed with 'em.

Last edited by redlineblue; 02-15-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:24 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 589 Posts

@Down South both skirts were not ever offered on new cars at the same time

What happened was that the newer .2 aero parts were not offered until MY2003

So MY2002 received the .1 aero side skirts if they were ordered

They don’t match well at all IMO, but .1 skirts on a MY2002 996.2 is OEM Factory correct if originally optioned

Old 02-15-2022, 05:27 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,762 Likes on 2,153 Posts

Fair enough. Thank you gentlemen for teaching a couple of us something new about side skirt quirks. Never knew.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:53 PM
pulpo
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
That Road & Track opinion piece seems overly harsh and not likely to come to pass as current trends tend to point out.

The closest Baruth gets to correct is with this statement: "I’d also be remiss if I didn’t mention that fact that the Electric Singularity is probably going to arrive within the next 30 years or so, at which point owning a gasoline-powered car will become a difficult and expensive pastime for a relatively small number of high-net-worth people. Overnight, the collector market will collapse to a blue-chips-only situation."

Here I think he is underestimating the upcoming storm by at least 5 to 10 years. This will indeed dampen (if not ultimately destroy) the collector's market, leaving only the most rare and desirable models to be parked in museums and occasional private garages. We would like to think the next 30 years will be much like the last 30 years, but they won't.
That article is from 2017 and he has been proved wrong thousands of times over.

"But if you think you’re going to make money on the deal, or even break even, you'll be sorely disappointed." I'm surprised any car enthusiast would make a blanket statement like that... I'm sure he was just trying to be edgy, because saying no one will make money on a deal (for any car) is very presumptuous in my opinion.

Edit: In fact at the end of the article he retracts all his statements and says if you buy one "you might get lucky". This guy is not a great writer in my opinion. Clickbait article.

Last edited by pulpo; 02-15-2022 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:05 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by redlineblue
Don't you make me drop this monocle!!1!
>>>Almost every .2 I've seen have different skirts which are more angular than the rounded .1s.
That's because 2003 + 2004 = moar cars than 2002 alone, and the angular 'skirts' are a 2003 -04 item.
>>>Were both offered at the same time?
No, the 'soft curve skirts' were the (only) "Flared Rocker Panels" offered in the first year of 996.2 production, which is 2002.

If you see 'soft-curve' flared sills on a 996.2, there's an excellent chance they're factory-original and you're looking at a 2002 model. Those sills are a '99 - 02 item, not a .1 item. (No need to take several current/recent flare-silled '02s, on BaT and elsewhere, as proof, much less to take my word for it: see @bdronsick post above).

That speed yellow car's beautiful, and so's your cabriolet. I can tell from the sills alone the SY car's not a 2002 -- just another weird little 911 wrinkle in a catalog that's stuffed with 'em.
All good! Learned something about .2s today! Thanks for the comment!
Old 02-15-2022, 06:09 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 589 Posts

The R&T article was peak 996-hate

Never forget

Quick Reply: Prices Keep Drifting Up