Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Prices Keep Drifting Up (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1231990-prices-keep-drifting-up.html)

Optionman1 01-12-2021 09:44 AM

Prices Keep Drifting Up

You can't keep seeing examples such as this and not conclude anything other than there's been a significant movement upward since beginning of 2020:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...carrera-4s-55/

$41,750 + $2k fee + shipping, no factory sports exhaust but does have the LN Solution. Do like the stance with the lowering springs vs my stock 03 4s suspension, will admit that.

dporto 01-12-2021 09:58 AM

Looks pretty nice! I'd say the Solution is a significant selling point for those who know...

wildbilly32 01-12-2021 10:32 AM

This will make my kids happy when they sell mine...;)

996AE 01-12-2021 10:40 AM

Nice comp

My 33k mi 996AE with 4 piece full luggage pack, Fisters, PSS10s, Euro buckets (all OE parts kept) CA car from new with up to date preventative maintenance; IMSS, Water Pump, Coils, Sparkies, mint condition

Gives me hope also

996 C4S in 997 money

Mike Murphy 01-12-2021 07:14 PM

The IMS Solution really is the only true solution to addressing the IMSB issue...

Back to that car in question, yeah, it’s super nice. Those C4S cars have really been able to hold their own, both in retained value, and in looks.

Not to take away from my 996.1 C2 lightweight, but it doesn’t look the same as a wide hip C4S.

I’m not surprised by a potential upswing in valuation. It was bound to happen given everything else that has seemed to go up in cost lately.

dporto 01-12-2021 07:53 PM

^^^ "a rising tide lifts all boats"... (at least to some extent...) It's really a matter of time. The 996 era is 20 years old now - though there were lots made, there is a finite supply of "good cars". These will be the first to get "lifted" but eventually anything that's decent will start to rise as well. Of course the well optioned, limited editions, and otherwise rare cars will always command the highest prices. :cheers:

Mike Murphy 01-12-2021 09:34 PM

For sure.

I mean I bought this 1988 C2 Targa about 15 years ago for $16k or something like that. The market was flooded with them and they were everywhere, not unlike the 996 from 2-4 years ago. Sure the 996 is still easy to grab today, there are plenty of them out there, but the supply is decreasing over time, and the mileage on these cars is increasing over time, leaving the ultra low-mile cars out there for some last-ditch folks to scoop them up for a discount, relative to what they will likely be worth in 3, 5, or 10 years, which I predict will be in the same ballpark as the 997, and possibly the 991 by then.

When considering the longevity of the 996, engine issues notwithstanding, as a platform for lasting 40, 50 or 60 years, the additional complexity of the water-cooled aspect is countered by the simplicity of the other components, such as oil-water heat exchanger, HVAC system, and lack of luxury-car add-ons common at the time. It’s not a complex car, save for the convertible top, and could last several more decades as a decent, reliable car, not unlike the air-cooled cars that came before.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d80cdc12b.jpeg
1988 3.2 Carrera Targa

dporto 01-12-2021 11:05 PM

The Whale Tail is my favorite rear spoiler of all time ! So cool :thumbup: Great looking car...

dantonio 01-13-2021 01:05 AM

Drivers are getting sick of all the computerized aids in new cars. The trend is towards less driver control and more automation. The 996 is an attractive package because it is so simple, light, naturally aspirated, and very little in the way of systems to get between you and the road. You could argue this makes it more "pure" in some sense than the 997.

It's in a sweet spot of performance, comfort and usability, and it just so happens to be the cheapest 911 you can buy. No wonder so many people want them.

Dr_Strangelove 01-13-2021 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by dantonio (Post 17159627)
Drivers are getting sick of all the computerized aids in new cars.

​​​​​​I can very much relate to this. When I was a teenager I used to laugh at the old car guys who wouldn't drive anything with fuel injection. Now I see all of these 27" televisions being used as dashboards and I think to myself; "Whelp. I suppose around about 2016 is when my newest car came out."

Billup 01-13-2021 07:57 AM

Drivers are getting sick of all the computerized aids in new cars. The trend is towards less driver control and more automation. The 996 is an attractive package because it is so simple, light, naturally aspirated, and very little in the way of systems to get between you and the road. You could argue this makes it more "pure" in some sense than the 997.

It's in a sweet spot of performance, comfort and usability, and it just so happens to be the cheapest 911 you can buy. No wonder so many people want them.

This is what makes me enjoy my .1 so much, there's no nannies to it. Simple in it's truest form. And regardless of what happens with the market, they're great cars at a great value right now.

wildbilly32 01-13-2021 09:47 AM

This might be true in certain factions, however, in the Type R forums it is surprising how many people(mostly younger) are whining about the lack of nannies and driver assist technologies. I.E.: lane centering, auto spacing cruise control, automatic braking, parking assist, cross traffic warning, etc...I guess they want to add all that crap(read weight and complexity) and more so they can play with their phones while driving and have the car "drive" for them. Some spirited discussions have been had about driver attention/involvement over there.

On the 996 one of my attractions to this model is the overall size. Like a sports car not a hiway cruiser. The newer one just keep getting bigger and bigger.

"And Leon is getting laaaaarrrrrger."

Billup 01-13-2021 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by wildbilly32 (Post 17159942)
This might be true in certain factions, however, in the Type R forums it is surprising how many people(mostly younger) are whining about the lack of nannies and driver assist technologies. I.E.: lane centering, auto spacing cruise control, automatic braking, parking assist, cross traffic warning, etc...I guess they want to add all that crap(read weight and complexity) and more so they can play with their phones while driving and have the car "drive" for them. Some spirited discussions have been had about driver attention/involvement over there.

Talking with some people around work, their kids don't even care to get their drivers licenses, let alone care what kind of car they'd drive if they had one. Their kids are mostly young / middle teenagers, so I'm not sure if this resonates with the younger 20's crowd. As time goes on, enthusiasts are going to keep dwindling into smaller groups. Hell look at most new cars, you can't distinguish a new 2 series from a Nissan Maxima. Body lines of "super cars" are all starting to look similar (C8 Corvette) also.

Times are definitely always changing, so it will be interesting to see what happens over the next 10-20 years.

wildbilly32 01-13-2021 10:00 AM

Like the "new" saying goes: "The best car theft deterrent these days is a manual transmission..."

Originally Posted by Billup (Post 17159952)
Talking with some people around work, their kids don't even care to get their drivers licenses, let alone care what kind of car they'd drive if they had one. Their kids are mostly young / middle teenagers, so I'm not sure if this resonates with the younger 20's crowd. As time goes on, enthusiasts are going to keep dwindling into smaller groups. Hell look at most new cars, you can't distinguish a new 2 series from a Nissan Maxima. Body lines of "super cars" are all starting to look similar (C8 Corvette) also.

Times are definitely always changing, so it will be interesting to see what happens over the next 10-20 years.

Optionman1 01-13-2021 10:04 AM

In the "Uber" generation with no need to drive for even basic needs since "Amazon Prime" can have it at your doorstep in no time, its not surprising that younger generations dont view driving the same way 50+ men do. Its seen as an expensive nuisance vs a pleasure. Young and stupid has always gone together well.