Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 11:10 AM
Icelia
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bdronsick
VA State Police hunt out of state tags

Your state prob does same thing you just don’t feel it
I can confirm this, an out of state ticket is much less likely to be disputed, and so the cop is much less likely to have to show up in court. Also, a local can go make complaints at the local office. So out of state travelers are the 'low hanging fruit'

I used to get nailed on I77 near Rock Hill SC about once a year because that stretch of I77 makes that town half its police operating budget. Not unusual to see 1 car pulled over each mile through that section. All out of state cars pulled over.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:12 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
That Road & Track opinion piece seems overly harsh and not likely to come to pass as current trends tend to point out.
Baruth sells controversy. You can measure his articles by the insult. He's still at it for Hagerty. A lot of folks like him, and he's even right sometimes, but mostly he's just outrageous.

The closest Baruth gets to correct is with this statement: "I’d also be remiss if I didn’t mention that fact that the Electric Singularity is probably going to arrive within the next 30 years or so, at which point owning a gasoline-powered car will become a difficult and expensive pastime for a relatively small number of high-net-worth people. Overnight, the collector market will collapse to a blue-chips-only situation."

Here I think he is underestimating the upcoming storm by at least 5 to 10 years. This will indeed dampen (if not ultimately destroy) the collector's market, leaving only the most rare and desirable models to be parked in museums and occasional private garages. We would like to think the next 30 years will be much like the last 30 years, but they won't.
No less a luminary than Bob Lutz declared in 2016 that autonomous vehicles would own the highways 15 years hence. 6 years later there is no sign of that coming to pass. I bring that up to show that even folks with lots of experience and industry knowledge are making predictions that turn out to be totally awful.

Here's mine: ICE vehicles are going to be the predominant automobile for at least another 10 years. They last a long time, new electric vehicles are pricey, and used electric vehicles have a huge "but the battery..." penalty flag that's not going to go away. Baruth himself is now pooh-poohing the electric car "revolution."

I expect I'll buy at least one electric vehicle before I stop buying vehicles. But I also expect to own ICE vehicles, and drive them on public roads, over that same time period.

The following 2 users liked this post by wdb:
bdronsick (02-16-2022), Icelia (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 11:18 AM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 589 Posts

ICE will never go away. You gonna fly on an electric airline? Cargo liners hauling billions of tons of steel through hurricanes, and 18-wheelers moving the whole internet across country daily, all on batteries??

Come on

Electric is a consumer push right now due to popular but pie-sky legislation

Which will mostly go away

Last edited by bdronsick; 02-16-2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:07 PM
Willys 47
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 61 Posts

Not all of us boomers are haters…..
The following 3 users liked this post by Willys 47:
bdronsick (02-16-2022), Icelia (02-16-2022), wdb (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 12:22 PM
Icelia
Instructor

Originally Posted by ****** 47
And from your username, I can tell you also love the other kind of vehicle that I do as well!
One for the woods, one for the street.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:34 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

This picture is awesome. Actually the last two 996’s I sold were both to boomers. Perhaps there is a renaissance afoot! Perhaps the greatest haters will become the most ardent collectors of Ferry’s final masterpiece. You look pretty happy in one!

What a GORGEOUS fat a$$ C4 BTW. 911 perfection

Last edited by bdronsick; 02-16-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:55 PM
Willys 47
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 61 Posts

Thank you both, and great observations. Hopefully this will make each of you smile too.
The following 4 users liked this post by Willys 47:
bdronsick (02-16-2022), fritzintn (02-16-2022), Icelia (02-16-2022), wdb (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 01:19 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Wow 😮

Thank you both, and great observations. Hopefully this will make each of you smile too.
Old 02-16-2022, 01:23 PM
Icelia
Instructor

Indeed it does.
If I had that pair, I would name one Sherman, and the other; Panzer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Icelia:
GC996 (02-16-2022), Willys 47 (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 01:27 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
Baruth sells controversy. You can measure his articles by the insult. He's still at it for Hagerty. A lot of folks like him, and he's even right sometimes, but mostly he's just outrageous.

No less a luminary than Bob Lutz declared in 2016 that autonomous vehicles would own the highways 15 years hence. 6 years later there is no sign of that coming to pass. I bring that up to show that even folks with lots of experience and industry knowledge are making predictions that turn out to be totally awful.

Here's mine: ICE vehicles are going to be the predominant automobile for at least another 10 years. They last a long time, new electric vehicles are pricey, and used electric vehicles have a huge "but the battery..." penalty flag that's not going to go away. Baruth himself is now pooh-poohing the electric car "revolution."

I expect I'll buy at least one electric vehicle before I stop buying vehicles. But I also expect to own ICE vehicles, and drive them on public roads, over that same time period.
Okay, not familiar with his "work".

I only wish autonomous cars were here! Most drivers are not good drivers, particularly on the highway.

The EV transition remains to be seen, but it is going to happen. There is a growing list of states, countries, and cities that have proactive bans in place for ICE vehicles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-..._fuel_vehicles

Even if you are fortunate enough to live outside of these areas (and the list is growing), the downward force on oil and gas will not drive the prices down, but up in the longer term.

I'm not banking on the status quo to hold 30 or even 20 years from now. So, I am making carbon monoxide while the sun still proverbially shines.

The following 2 users liked this post by Marv:
VintageCollector (02-16-2022), wdb (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 02:30 PM
VintageCollector
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Icelia
The headlight hate has to be a generational thing.
You might be onto something. I’ve actually met very few people older than me who did not strongly dislike (hate really) the 996 headlights.

I suppose that would explain how with every passing year lately a little more 996 hate vanishes
The headlight hate might be a media thing. I didn't hate the headlights, I only disliked that the round ones were gone as I was an old school 911/930 guy my entire life.

But when my good buddy who talked me into buying a Porsche mentioned that some people didn't like the headlights, it leaned me in that direction as well.

Then I bought one and don't care anymore.

I think the media articles put something into people's heads that normally would not have been there, and this is what media ALWAYS does.

They influence the public.

Originally Posted by Springbank
A Virginia LEO gave you a warning instead of a citation? Inconceivable! I tend to stay in WV for any "spirited" use of the roads on my bikes or the car. Nobody there. Nobody cares.
VA State Police hunt out of state tags

Your state prob does same thing you just don’t feel it
Originally Posted by Icelia
I can confirm this, an out of state ticket is much less likely to be disputed, and so the cop is much less likely to have to show up in court. Also, a local can go make complaints at the local office. So out of state travelers are the 'low hanging fruit'
I got nailed in 1990 or so driving to Florida crossing Ohio into VA and the cop demanded I pay ON THE SPOT. We were young and silly and I I got nailed twice and by the time I hit Florida, all of my cash was gone.

ICE will never go away. You gonna fly on an electric airline? Cargo liners hauling billions of tons of steel through hurricanes, and 18-wheelers moving the whole internet across country daily, all on batteries??

Come on

Electric is a consumer push right now due to popular but pie-sky legislation

Which will mostly go away
Man, I don't think the ICE is here to stay.

There is a MASSIVE push to make things like that either obsolete or so expensive to operate that nobody will be able to unless they're Elon Musk.

I think one day owning an ICE will be like owning a Yacht.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:01 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,762 Likes on 2,153 Posts

996 Headlights = Cool
ICE w/ Bio Fuel = Cool
EV = Not sustainable
(ICE w/ Bio Fuel + EV) = Sustainable Cool Hybrid
Old 02-16-2022, 03:07 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I have a Chevy Volt, closing in on 100k miles and never had an issue. Gets approximately 35 miles on a charge plus has a 9 gal gas tank. Perfect commuter car, especially if you have access to a charger during the workday.
The following 3 users liked this post by Optionman1:
GC996 (02-16-2022), Putt-Putt (02-16-2022), wdb (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 03:32 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
996 Headlights = Cool
ICE w/ Bio Fuel = Cool
EV = Not sustainable
(ICE w/ Bio Fuel + EV) = Sustainable Cool Hybrid
Why is EV not sustainable? Its definitely not at a point where I think it can replace gas but I feel like if you are staying mainly regional it's a good option. I considered a model 3 when getting one of our new cars but I just don't think Tesla's quality control is there yet.

Originally Posted by Optionman1
I have a Chevy Volt, closing in on 100k miles and never had an issue. Gets approximately 35 miles on a charge plus has a 9 gal gas tank. Perfect commuter car, especially if you have access to a charger during the workday.
I would have never guessed you had a Chevy Volt, everytime you talk about your commutes you are doing it in one the 911s lol.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:39 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,762 Likes on 2,153 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
You just nailed the performance game going forward that Porsche will be playing against the other car manufactures as biofuel becomes a reality. It will be to build hybrids that in combination get the best performance with the most mileage.

Think about it. Other than battery charging speed and charge longevity, what is there that is semi exciting to market and discuss about EV vehicles? Not a thing. The hybrid market will goes nuts with innovation integrating biofuel powered ice engines with ev technology using recharging from brakes and turbos to fuel the best performance and gas mileage from clean fuel. That's the game. Even Road and Track can sink their teeth into it.

Make no bones about it, EV is only a stepping stone to clean fuel hybrids. Once again, Porsche/Audi will be leading the way thru adoption of racing technology.

How does 300 miles per gallon grab you? No one will be sitting at Starbucks for 40 min as their Tesla recharges so they can drive home 300 miles away.

I am fired up about what Porsche is doing.

Quick Reply: Prices Keep Drifting Up