Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 12:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Matt. Here are some links that are of interest on the subject. There are lots of reference to this elsewhere too but I typically have followed Bills advice on set up for the track.

The issue appears to be more vendor specific than anything. The JZM shocks were notorious for having short bolts. A few of the other vendor kits had bolts that were of poor grade/tensile steel and stretched. Lastly and perhaps most fundamentally is the design. The four bolt sliding type provides more opportunity for movement. The rotating 3 stud type is more secure. Interestingly the RS has the later and I just noted on my 991 GT3 its also the 3 stud rotating type like the Mode units Bill installed. I could not justify the expensive of the Mod units at the time (very nicely made pice of kit but double the price of the rennline). Looking at my emails, Tom teh owner of rennline confirmed to me he was using a high quality tensile bolt in later designs so that was not of concern for me. However the four straight slotted design did provide the potential for movement and this was a point of contention. The camber pinning brace was Toms answer to this. He had seen some examples of it happening but believed it was due to poor nut torque management on teh side of the track rather than poor design. The locking pins were his final word on the matter although he didnt think it would be any issue for road or light track work....

The last 3-4 links are from the same thread. Paul will find this link fascinating as it works through the sysherical arms, the solid shims and discusses theory on things such as anti squat. It took me a while to post this as I re read the entire thread. Im not sure any of it is relevant to 964 and GT3 owners. Ive essentially followed all the recommended modifications now, although to be fair its taken many years to get there! As I said to Paul at the beginning do it once and properly or pay much labour for re doing, and geo etc. Its a long road for us slow learners....

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-question.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...endations.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-set-up-2.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-set-up-3.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-set-up-5.html
Old 06-20-2014, 12:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here is the 991 GT3 top mount. The slots allow only .30 minutes (1/2 degree) additional negative camber adjustment over the factory geo (-1.30/-1.30). To get further adjustment, like on the 997.2GT3/4.0RS etc you need to use spacers on the bottom suspension or replace the coffin arm with one that has adjustment built in (991 GT3 Cup or AM like RRS, Elephant Racing etc).
Attached Images    
Old 06-20-2014, 12:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

I don't think Doug and I swapping cars would work. We tried for a short period on the way to Apirana and it just felt odd. All touch points on the cars are different - seat, steering wheel, gear ****, LWF.

As for comparable cars, the variables between Lola and Herman are much more than tyres, we have differences in weight, suspension, gearbox ratios, harness, flywheel, ECU chip and not to mention 2wd vs 4wd handling.

All too hard to quantify unless we get Steve to drive them back to back. I'd be happy to do that.

The other thing would be to get a RSG beater to set times for each driver.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:45 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Walt we have the same T shirt here. I went in circles for ages. Stefan at Hazlers is a mate and he wouldnt touch it. I looked at bringing in my own hub centric roller system (cheap chinese) but then you had to try and find a 5 x 130 adaptor plate.

In the end I was at Jamies place in Otaki and we went up teh road and bought a baseball bat from a sports store, used a heat gun and I stuck it (handle end) in there and rolled away. Jamie was a bit nervous - he held teh heat gun! I was too. Its worked out fine in the end as you know. Not for the faint of heart tho!
The bat gets my vote next time. Pity I didn't have anyone to hold the heat gun - would've gone quicker than stopping to reheat so often. Still feel the after effects of the hours of inverted hammering!
Old 06-20-2014, 12:55 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The four bolt sliding type provides more opportunity for movement. The rotating 3 stud type is more secure. Interestingly the RS has the later and I just noted on my 991 GT3 its also the 3 stud rotating type like the Mode units Bill installed.
They really don't. Think about the angles and forces, the torque spec on the bolts in question, etc. and you will understand why. Look at the design of bespoke top-of-the-line DTM cars which will see more load than any of the cars we're talking about ever will.

Name:  rahal-letterman-lanigan-racing-bmw-z4-gte-alms-engine-bay.jpg
Views: 3359
Size:  408.9 KB

Also, the 991 GT3 top mount isn't an adjustable camber plate like we are discussing, it just has slotted holes in the shock tower. I also think you'll find the slots are straight, not curved. Looks like you can see daylight through the gap in the slots...
Old 06-20-2014, 12:57 AM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
RSG 2k cup car.

We'll still need a large order of these t-shirts though:

Name:  BqRt8h0IcAAg50N.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  50.7 KB
Old 06-20-2014, 01:02 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mjg

Originally Posted by pcarplayer

RSG group buy?

The 962 is pretty much my favourite car.
It is a sign. Let me start by pledging the same amount as I did towards the Durametric

Oh, you were thinking more Liana/Lacetti/Cee'd. Damn.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
The bat gets my vote next time. Pity I didn't have anyone to hold the heat gun - would've gone quicker than stopping to reheat so often. Still feel the after effects of the hours of inverted hammering!
Old 06-20-2014, 01:03 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
RSG 2k cup car. We'll still need a large order of these t-shirts though:
10 x $200. Park at HD. Sounds good, especially if you are sans car like Dave.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

10 x $200. Park at HD. Sounds good, especially if you are sans car like Dave.
Im totally in for this! Seriously. It would be alot of fun. One session each to see who can make it do quickest and if its not broken at the end of that someone can buy it for the 2K cup (John?).
Old 06-20-2014, 01:05 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Sorry to come in entirely off piste. I noticed somewhere a while back the talk of Auckland property prices. I'm out of the loop but looking to get back in. I'm being told to wait 6-12 months because things are getting softer. Is that a fair assessment?
I sell Real Estate (down in Napier), two weeks ago I was talking to one of our national auctioneers, she said the market has slowed in Auckland. If it is going to soften it will take a while for Vendors to get their heads around new values cos "the guy 2 doors down got X 2 months ago, why cant I?"
Old 06-20-2014, 01:09 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996tnz
It is a sign. Let me start by pledging the same amount as I did towards the Durametric

Oh, you were thinking more Liana/Lacetti/Cee'd. Damn.

PS - no 951 drivers here to post their ride?
Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

RSG 2k cup beater list so far.

Macca
John
Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
They really don't. Think about the angles and forces, the torque spec on the bolts in question, etc. and you will understand why. Look at the design of bespoke top-of-the-line DTM cars which will see more load than any of the cars we're talking about ever will.

Attachment 845515

Also, the 991 GT3 top mount isn't an adjustable camber plate like we are discussing, it just has slotted holes in the shock tower. I also think you'll find the slots are straight, not curved. Looks like you can see daylight through the gap in the slots...
I think that was Toms point too. Steve Weiner had had some experience here and recommended the Mode type too. If I felt it justified the outlay I would have bought them. I wouldnt be scribing them however (maybe tipex instead!).

Correct, it wasnt the right example. The GT3 ones are only adjustable top mounts from the factory not a camber plate as you say. I think the slots provide a very minimal amount of adjustment. I was chatting to Chuck Moreland (owner of elephant racing) about these last week when picking up some bushes (thats his car in teh picture) and he said he measured them out at max 0.25 degrees additional -ve camber. He said the 997 GT3 track guys typically use lower WB shims or the adjustable coffin arm to get more. Or the Am coffin arms.

On the USA side Chucks a very capable engineer if you ever want to discuss suspension. The exe-tc guys in the UK also have some really good experience with 996/997 GT3. They were the ones that supplied the iphone camber tool Graeme recommended....
Old 06-20-2014, 01:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Paul isnt allowed to drive the RSG beater till everyone else has had a trun ;-P

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?