Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

235 needs a minimum wheel width of 7.5J and ideal is 8.25J. The contact patch would be quite interesting at 7.5J or under.

The 235 works well rolling radius wise with the 255 (which needs a 9J).

Medium on front soft on rear is not preferable. Sean went through this on Ecolight Targa.

If you are in a tight spot with 7.5J fronts its doable but frankly Id rather order the idea size from OZ.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Im a bit disappointed today also. Hopefully my situation is only a temporary out of stock situation. However it could have been a bigger issue like a non restock and I wouldn't be happy either as these are they tyres I know on track. I suggest on your next trip to OZ you grab a couple and throw them in as excess baggage. Probably still work out same price....
Old 06-19-2014, 07:40 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks John. As you will know I have been talking with Brian today. I have ordered two front tyres and the last 265 rear in 18 and will purchase a partner for it from Australia and ship it over as I have little faith the Hankook shipment referred to will make our shores before NITT.

Its disappointing to hear the 225 17 could be discontinued. This is the only tyre you can realistically use at the front on a 7 or 7.5J rim. Basically this would affect all 964 running in our group as well as Paul in this 993. Lap times would be affected.

I suggest you look to Australia for your supplies. Tirerack does not carry this model. Ill let you know how I get on with my Australian supplier...
Yes please - I will need new front tyres.............
Old 06-19-2014, 07:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Chris M is looking at Z222 or R S3. Those are available from Tirerack. Not much info on line about their compound.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:52 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time to step up the game and switch to slicks.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:53 AM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
Chris M is looking at Z222 or R S3. Those are available from Tirerack. Not much info on line about their compound.
Road tyre. Same performance range as Pilot Super Sports, AD08Rs, P Zeros, etc.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Time to step up the game and switch to slicks.
Not such a silly idea. It's not as if we go out much in the wet.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Not such a silly idea. It's not as if we go out much in the wet.
Paul and I were discussing that today.

You have to remember you chassis was designed at a time when R compounds were not common at all. You are now using some of the most recent compounds available and you are asking a 25 year old chassis, components and brakes to deal with it. Granted many of us are not pushing our cars yet to their platforms limits, but those who start to will find they need to invest significantly for reliability and durability.

Moving a 1400 kg 1990 road car to slicks and driving it with hairy ***** will be fun....and expensive....
Old 06-19-2014, 09:53 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

hmmm just scanning the comments on Dunlop 03G. My 2c
I have run these on Targa quite a lot. They released a new M compound labelled M2 on the Tyre and according to Richard at Dunlop Motorsport is about 5% softer than the previous M which was discontinued.
I took a look at Chris B's tyres on SITT noting they were dunlops and thought they were an R compound label? (confirm Chris?) which some of the higher HP cars also run on Targa (500+) This tyre is a more durable compound than M2 - between M2 and Hard.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:43 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by gt38088
hmmm just scanning the comments on Dunlop 03G. My 2c
I have run these on Targa quite a lot. They released a new M compound labelled M2 on the Tyre and according to Richard at Dunlop Motorsport is about 5% softer than the previous M which was discontinued.
I took a look at Chris B's tyres on SITT noting they were dunlops and thought they were an R compound label? (confirm Chris?) which some of the higher HP cars also run on Targa (500+) This tyre is a more durable compound than M2 - between M2 and Hard.
Yes, I was running the R2 compound on the front and R on the back. It was as soft as my car could take. I put the tyres on new in Queenstown and had worn through the first layer of rubber on the back tyres by the time we finished at Ruapuna. The 944 tyres we just got are R and 5 years old.

WIth the 221's I have gone to the same setup as Matt, moved from a 225 to a 235 on the front and gone from R2 Dunlop to soft 221 and that has made a big difference removing most of the understeer.

Last edited by ChrisB_NZ; 06-19-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul and I were discussing that today. You have to remember you chassis was designed at a time when R compounds were not common at all. You are now using some of the most recent compounds available and you are asking a 25 year old chassis, components and brakes to deal with it. Granted many of us are not pushing our cars yet to their platforms limits, but those who start to will find they need to invest significantly for reliability and durability. Moving a 1400 kg 1990 road car to slicks and driving it with hairy ***** will be fun....and expensive....
Feedback given to Value Tyres but that isn't going to solve the problem in time for the NITT. Please come back to us with what you find on the Australian side. I have no trips planned so it would be a simple order and ship transaction.

Z221 are the only tyre I've tracked and I've yet to hear of a better tyre for my car and purpose. As I'm not racing, lap time is the only objective measure of improvement, and pathetic as it sounds I'll lose interest quickly if I can't attack my PB. I have enough tread to make the NITT, but realistically nothing more. Looks like I'll be on the side lines until then unless an Australian source comes good.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Feeling same way as you although having never driven any track twice I guess I might not notice loosing a second with a different brand of tyre right now!
Only alternative that interests me is new compound Dunlop 03G but they are 40% more expensive and mean my new GT3 becomes same price to run on track but benefits from warranty!
My Australian supplier has the tyres and at a fair price but he's struggling with cheap shipping. Australia post say to big so we are trying FedEx today. I want to try this method before recommending to others ....should know more today....
Old 06-19-2014, 05:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just checked my Z221s. HD is very hard on the left hand outer edge. Definitely can't risk another day at HD and make the NITT.

Sounds like you have the solution already, just a more expensive one than we're used to.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Tyres are actually cheaper. Rear is $430 AUD vs $504 (special price) @ Mega (most places like Hyper want $539-595 for the same tyre and I mean literally the same one as theyve all been quoting the one left in stock at Value!).

The freight and GST will make it at least $100 NZD more expensive I reckon. I dont car about the $100 if it completes the set.

I have a feeling the prices on all the tyres in the "new shipment" to NZ will be going up anyway....they have their addicted audience now!
Old 06-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

To break the monotony of tyre talk and out of stock issues heres a bit of G50 ****.

Box came together yesterday. Turns out we actually needed the 2nd gear cone we thought we had mistakenly ordered. What you are look at is approx a 7k parts and labour job. We have replaced all synchros 1-4, a slider, a cone, lots of while you are in there gubbins, reverse lock out spring mechanism etc and the labour of course.

The LSD, Box and engine should be ready to fit together and then be bolted into the car. Hopefully by mid next week we will have the new rear A arms and RS bushes on, sway bar and new powerflex bushes and she should then be ready to be sent to Peter for a full geo before a 50km road shake down.

I love the last shot. Mind bender perspective, Shows Deans shop up real nice. My suppliers offshore have seen some of these and always saying during the gearbox rebuild how nice and purdy Deans benches and shop is...
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?