Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:30 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
In terms of costs. Broadly agree with what others have posted. I did spend more prepping the car, but I look at that as maintenance I would do anyway at some point, so play down that point.

I ran on 221's but only because the forecast was guaranteed dry, no regrets on tyre choice, they were fantastic. In terms of throwing up stones, the car got hammered following cars on road tyres, there was so much gravel that I dont think tyres made the difference, everyone was spraying stones. I went in to race mode and followed close, living in the moment and just accepting the car would need a tidy up at the end, no regrets again, it was fun and thats why I was there.

I ended up running at the front after being encouraged by others to do so as I pushed Darryl and that picked up the overall pace of the group. Ron and othrrs commented that we ran the fastest stages they have even been through in the Tour. The price I paid was following very close and suffering a lot of stone damage, but I tell you, I had a huge smile at the end of every stage.

I'm converted, it will be an annual event for me. It was many times better than I imagined. After having done the SITT and Targa Tour this year I am reminded what a fantastic country NZ is and how lucky we are.
Glad you had a blast mate!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Very short distance from the motorway, not too far away from the city and some holding income??

Must be a catch as the rent almost covers the mortgage and you get the use of 800m2??

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/co...-723301587.htm
That's a fantastic deal. As you say there must be a downside. Is it leasehold or freehold? Its half an acre with 1/4 acre of physical improvements - surely the psqm building rate on that category light industrial/commercial in NZ must be around $750++. I cant see how it works. The capital improvement value at 1100 m2 would be 3/4 a million. The land value at 1/2 acre must be north of 150k surely? Replacement value 900+K? Are we missing something (like a 1 in front of the price, its in another galaxy or its built on a section 36 land fill?)

If its real Im interested!

Chris. Thats two for two in terms of RSG targa entrants turned converts!

Walt. The 2K a day rule works for the 5-6 day events too - 10-12K - as long as folk factor an extra 2K for preparation an after event dependant on the state and age of their particular car I think. For the 993 there is definitely 3K needed. Its the price you pay for trying to keep up with folk that have 200-300 more HP and 4WD!

Last edited by Macca; 05-19-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Guys - heaps of empty sheds down here at Taupo racetrack! Of course I'll be the custodian and would need all the keys just in case of, errrr, fire?
Old 05-19-2014, 05:49 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

re tyres ad rain.

we ran Dunlop M2 compound for most of the rally including the morning of day 3 when the wet/fog prevailed. And have run this tyre on previous wet days on targa and find them really. The only thing is if its absolutely hosing down and then the risk of standing water. Our spare set were Federals that we added hand cut grooves (2 radial and some side swipes) to run on the front in really wet conditions. This gave us options if wet but still running msport tyres.

The morning of day 3 we chopped out the inside front tyres with incorrect alignment from the repair the previous evening and put the federals on. Given they were slightly different size and with 4wd we had to put all 4 on. So in the dry ran the 2 with more grooves on the back for max front end grip. Int he wet we would have done the opposite.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:50 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

whoops ...... really good.....
Old 05-19-2014, 05:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

I was approached by someone last Summer to put the 996TT in to an exotic car rental pool. I declined but I understand Steve and Chris are looking at something similar for Steve's fleet. I think that would be a good ancillary business to a storage facility. Probably would only work in Auckland.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Guys - heaps of empty sheds down here at Taupo racetrack! Of course I'll be the custodian and would need all the keys just in case of, errrr, fire?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:55 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like a few of you boys should step up to the main comp!!! Get a cheapish car 944? or jap 4wd, or Honda Integra -
Old 05-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
That's a fantastic deal. As you say there must be a downside. Is it leasehold or freehold? Its half an acre with 1/4 acre of physical improvements - surely the psqm building rate on that category light industrial/commercial in NZ must be around $750++. I cant see how it works. The capital improvement value at 1100 m2 would be 3/4 a million. The land value at 1/2 acre must be north of 150k surely? Replacement value 900+K? Are we missing something (like a 1 in front of the price, its in another galaxy or its built on a section 36 land fill?)

If its real Im interested!

Chris. Thats two for two in terms of RSG targa entrants turned converts!

Walt. The 2K a day rule works for the 5-6 day events too - 10-12K - as long as folk factor an extra 2K for preparation an after event dependant on the state and age of their particular car I think. For the 993 there is definitely 3K needed. Its the price you pay for trying to keep up with folk that have 200-300 more HP and 4WD!
Turns out its Leasehold...
Old 05-19-2014, 09:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Not altogether a surprise I suppose given nothing washes its face in Auckland without a substantive deposit.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:25 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was listed by a Real Estate company legally it would have to stated that its leasehold in the advertising.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
If it was listed by a Real Estate company legally it would have to stated that its leasehold in the advertising.
Nic - we all knew there was a catch, someone just had to scratch the surface. Thanks for the heads up.

Macca and Sean - how about a little shed like this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/co...-717646114.htm
Old 05-20-2014, 01:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul.

Looks good. Bit small perhaps?

Bad news re gearbox and LSD. Looks like I totally rooted the gearbox. Synchos 2,3,4 need replacing along with selectors. 3rds real bad. Chunk taken out the synchro (should be a square shoulder on the ring below where you see a scollop. Inside of ring has lost its abrasive surface on 4th ring to some degree as well. Unfortunately brass from ring looks like its coated the gears 3+4 so high likelihood new gearsets needed there too. Dean said he hansnt seen a 3rd gear synchro as badly knackered. Ive been having gearbox issues since 2011- well before track days and Targa Tour. I think he saw surprised it was shifting into 3rd at all from 2nd (well it pretty much wasnt on the SITT). The bad news is I think this will be a 7K job now with labour (just the gearbox). The good news is once I can actually use my gearbox I believe I can pick a bit of time up on each track Ive driven to date.

The LSD is not functioning properly. Its a brand new Motorsports unit we fitted in 2012. I know it was working on NITT but couldnt feel it on SITT so I called Dean and spoke with him about it when down south. He said to test it which we are doing now but looks like it needs new clutch pack and/or shims. Again another expensive job. The good news again is that when its working its worth some time in the corners.

Oh the fun of motorsport! Unfortunately the above costs seriously threaten my participation in SI Targa this year. Something has to give and I simply didnt have all of this in my budget along with the GT3 stuff I need to do.

Buggar.
Attached Images    
Old 05-20-2014, 01:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Paul. Looks good. Bit small perhaps? Bad news re gearbox and LSD. Looks like I totally rooted the gearbox. Synchos 2,3,4 need replacing along with selectors. 3rds real bad. Chunk taken out the synchro (should be a square shoulder on the ring below where you see a scollop. Inside of ring has lost its abrasive surface on 4th ring to some degree as well. Unfortunately brass from ring looks like its coated the gears 3+4 so high likelihood new gearsets needed there too. Dean said he hansnt seen a 3rd gear synchro as badly knackered. Ive been having gearbox issues since 2011- well before track days and Targa Tour. I think he saw surprised it was shifting into 3rd at all from 2nd (well it pretty much wasnt on the SITT). The bad news is I think this will be a 7K job now with labour (just the gearbox). The good news is once I can actually use my gearbox I believe I can pick a bit of time up on each track Ive driven to date. The LSD is not functioning properly. Its a brand new Motorsports unit we fitted in 2012. I know it was working on NITT but couldnt feel it on SITT so I called Dean and spoke with him about it when down south. He said to test it which we are doing now but looks like it needs new clutch pack and/or shims. Again another expensive job. The good news again is that when its working its worth some time in the corners. Oh the fun of motorsport! Unfortunately the above costs seriously threaten my participation in SI Targa this year. Something has to give and I simply didnt have all of this in my budget along with the GT3 stuff I need to do. Buggar.
Don't forget Scott has a 993 box under his house
Old 05-20-2014, 01:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Don't forget Scott has a 993 box under his house
Thanks John. Spoke with him last month about his box. Its an unknown quantity, used with highish mileage (he had it in his UK 993). There's only one way to do this job unfortunately. Properly. Probably just unlucky on this one its been an issue back a long way but the track work has accelerated it to the point we are at now. Gearboxes are second only to engine rebuilds when it comes to these cars...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?