Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Me neither. If 964s were 70K rather than 40K I suspect we would have a lot less 911s in RSG which isnt a great thing....

John. You would need to ask Dean if this offer still exists. IIRC it was offered to owners of cars (indiscriminate of age) that were originally sold NZ new and were still serviced since new within the dealer channel. I have a plastic membership card and a Porsche assist sticker on my window-screen to prove qualification. It is the same system used by Porsche and given to owners of new cars. I was given the exact same membership in Switzerland with my GT3 when I picked it up. Its free annually.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2014, 02:25 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
AA would just contract to a local tow service so I wouldn't bother with specific cover. We need to be somewhat self sufficient considering how far we are going from towns e.g. Cape Reinga. Certainly hook and straps. Maybe an alternator belt and basic tools to do our own small fixes. Some spare fluids, a DME relay. The one I'm not sure about is a spare tyre. Are you running 18"? Between us it would make sense to take one front and one rear full spare. I'm not letting anyone near my Fuchs if I get a flat.
John, it makes a whole lot of sense to ensure between us we have things covered like you are suggesting. I'm a newby so will compare notes with you and between the 964s have all the sensible things covered.

Also if time allows, catchup to go through Cape Reinga and spares plans later this week or next weekend Im around
Old 02-09-2014, 02:50 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
lol. This is also true. For the record, I have no issue with appreciating air cooled prices, 964 or 993.
And now that there is significant RSG ownership it's time for the appreciation to go 964-way. Yet part of me says no thanks because the higher they go the less we'll be able to play with them as Mark has highlighted before.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

A catchup would be good. Weekends are logistically better. Maybe the same pub as our first effort i.e. Mission Bay. You might be driving a 964 by then!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Troy Hibberd is the man for Auckland area tows. He did the Porsche parade and owns a hot rod 3.2.
Attached Images   
Old 02-09-2014, 04:01 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Drove the C4 to work. A little bit tiresome with the RS Clutch but not unworkable as a DD, but I would need road tyres to do it regularly.

Not That excited about changing tyres on my Fuchs regularly either so would put Z221s on Frankenstein D90s

Also thinking about doing the SITT on road tyres as it is 75% a road trip.

What locally sourced tyres are people using in 17" sizes and what were fitted prices?

BTW Michelin ex UK would be ~ $1,850 fitted.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi John. Going through a similar delimma and have about two weeks to decide before the 993 needs prepping for the SITT.

Im very tempted to just mount my new Oz wheels with new Michelin Super Sport tyres on the 993 and have the new OEM pads fitted (currently have 50% pad left but probably will need changing before returning home) and have an easy no cares journey without the complication of wheel and pad changes en route. Theres plenty else to worry about an old girl making a 5500Km journey including 800km of track work, so it would make a much more stress free journey for me and the missus.

Chris and may others say the MPSS is much better than the S04 for the road (so you can scrub those off the list). I have tried the PS2 up until 2009 and it was the best of the bunch road tyre at that time (now superseded). The Bridgestone RE11 is a good fast road tyre but its heavy and lack a bot of turn in feel - works fine on the track for 3 laps but then takes alot of heat and goes off. They are cheap though at around 1500 fitted local. Otherwise, if it were my money Id pay the $350 extra and get the MPSS as I have done for GT3 and 993 recently. Mind, I havent tried these myself but plenty I know and trust on the 993 boards (and now 991 GT3 board) are using these and proclaim they are a big step on from anything else out there. Infact a guy Im freinds with just put these on the track after wearing through his factory fit Sport Cup2s (a phenomenal tyre - he got 3 dfull trakc days and 3000km road out of them - not to bad giving his GT3 was exceeding the speeds he was getting from his new 991 TTS on the track) and has claims only 2 seconds slower on a 2.5 mile track so they will be a few seconds off the pace of the Z221 on SITT tracks but not so bad. We are only driving 7/10ths on these as Paul says because they are not Z221s LOL!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Did 370km yesterday on the older version but newly fitted Michelin PS2. A compliant ride and never squirmed or squealed.

On doing the drive I realised I would soon be doing 10 times this mileage in a short number of days and why would I do it hard on track tyres and blow $1,600 on them when a road set would last 4 times longer. Well maybe not with 4 track days but you know what I mean.

The SITT is basically a road trip. I'm using road pads the whole way and will not be going nuts at the tracks (what's the point in going 10/10ths when you want to last the whole trip?)

I will do some more research.

Howe
Old 02-09-2014, 07:43 PM
mjg
Pro

I feel the opposite, why drive all that way to have your road tyres go off 2-3 laps into each session on tracks you might not ever get a chance to drive again. Most road tyres (PSS and other new compounds of that calibre excluded) won't last all that well under track conditions anyway, so I'd argue that it's a false economy.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not going on the SiTT - I'll be doing the next best thing with a factory tour at Stuttgart late march - but if i was going I'd bolt on the 17" cup 2's with their roadie toyo's and enjoy the ride and not worry about the seconds I'd be missing out on with the sticky stuff. I went for a fang last night on the roadies and what a different car it is - much nicer. It's a relative thing, if I've never driven the SI tracks before, i wouldn't know how comparatively slow i was so would not miss the high end rubber? And it could be fun if for once I outdrove the car rather than the car laughing at me.
Counterpoint: if i saw another '64 ahead in the red mist I might think otherwise.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:48 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Absolute frustration. Took the Turbo 3.6 to Tauranga and got stuck behind a bus all oif the way through K gorge.
Well John, tell you what - instead of shouldering that terrible burden on yourself, why don't you leave her with me and I'll go and show her some nice empty roads and let her get it out of the system...
Old 02-09-2014, 07:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Well John, tell you what - instead of shouldering that terrible burden on yourself, why don't you leave her with me and I'll go and show her some nice empty roads and let her get it out of the system...
Matt, it had some good moments. I just really love that piece of road - smooth, winding and scenic. It fits the Porsche torque curve beautifully. Some of the rest of the trip was fairly forgettable though. The traffic snarl ups getting on to the Bombays have become terrible. With 31C outside the Aircon struggled. The old girl needs fast flowing back roads, which are plentiful. It just needs to get our more.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
I'm not going on the SiTT - I'll be doing the next best thing with a factory tour at Stuttgart late march - but if i was going I'd bolt on the 17" cup 2's with their roadie toyo's and enjoy the ride and not worry about the seconds I'd be missing out on with the sticky stuff. I went for a fang last night on the roadies and what a different car it is - much nicer. It's a relative thing, if I've never driven the SI tracks before, i wouldn't know how comparatively slow i was so would not miss the high end rubber? And it could be fun if for once I outdrove the car rather than the car laughing at me. Counterpoint: if i saw another '64 ahead in the red mist I might think otherwise.
Is the red mist prep where you say it's going to be a 7/10ths effort and turn up on Z221s? If so that's what worries me. Going all that way and having Mr 7/10ths zooming past in his family car.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
I feel the opposite, why drive all that way to have your road tyres go off 2-3 laps into each session on tracks you might not ever get a chance to drive again. Most road tyres (PSS and other new compounds of that calibre excluded) won't last all that well under track conditions anyway, so I'd argue that it's a false economy.
The voice of reason....
Old 02-09-2014, 08:16 PM
O2GO
Drifting

While you guys talk tyres (good stuff) I am out living the dream on one of my favourite drives from the Hokianga to Dargaville then home. Such a bugger to have a meeting at a property in Opononi :-). Roof down, sun, little traffic. A great day to be alive :-)

Pickup the C2 tonight and Dean doing PPI in the morning. Pretty excited.

I'm driving on road tyres and shipping track wheels. Been the plan all along :-)
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?