Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
While you guys talk tyres (good stuff) I am out living the dream on one of my favourite drives from the Hokianga to Dargaville then home. Such a bugger to have a meeting at a property in Opononi :-). Roof down, sun, little traffic. A great day to be alive :-) Pickup the C2 tonight and Dean doing PPI in the morning. Pretty excited. I'm driving on road tyres and shipping track wheels. Been the plan all along :-)
Great to see someone is living the dream. Pop up and see Herman while you're in the Hood.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Great to see someone is living the dream. Pop up and see Herman while you're in the Hood.
Thanks. Will do John.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
I feel the opposite, why drive all that way to have your road tyres go off 2-3 laps into each session on tracks you might not ever get a chance to drive again. Most road tyres (PSS and other new compounds of that calibre excluded) won't last all that well under track conditions anyway, so I'd argue that it's a false economy.
Good counter agreement Matt.

My road tyres are MPSS but Im mindful I want to use these for the SI Targa Tour in late October too. I cant help think if I run them hard on the SITT tracks there probably wont be enough on them to complete that event so will likely continue with the original plan of sending the 3 piece wheels down with the Z221s on them. Im pretty certain after the NITT my Z221 will be well corded by the end of the Ruapuna track day (I cant see myself getting more than 6 track days and 2000km touring out of the Z3221 like John manages!) so the wheels can ship back, have the tyres binned and be sent for a rebuilt by Arrow in the meantime. Ill run 80% fresh MPSS for the SI Targa Tour and ship down the old RE11s I have to complete the event and get us home. BY year end the 993 will need new Z221 and new Road tyres. Expensive hobby aye...
Old 02-09-2014, 10:12 PM
mjg
Pro

I think you'll be surprised how long the Z221s last. I put mine on just before the NITT, did one session on them at HD to give them an initial heat cycle (and finished that day on PSCs), then put them on for the NITT and have left them on ever since... I can't remember how many track days that is, but we're talking 5-6000kms and a lot of track driving on them. They still had enough tread (~3mm all round) to pass a WOF a couple of months ago. After Pukekohe, the fronts (soft compounds) still look good, but the rears (medium) are one track day away from being bald in the centre.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do the Z221s drive like on the open road? Much rumble? Macca I will need to establish if the Mag 1's are authentic, is there anyway to do this or anyone locally who could help, so far all I can verify is the part no. matching and the lettering style looking the same, but all from the desk. I was excited about the initial discovery too, I'm keeping them on as 'revolving credit' for one day in the future, possibly to fund if there's ever an engine rebuild required. If I do decide to sell them I guess the best replacement would be a set of Cup 1 replicas with PS2s for the road and a set of ? with Z221s for the track.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you guys talk tyres (good stuff) I am out living the dream on one of my favourite drives from the Hokianga to Dargaville then home. Such a bugger to have a meeting at a property in Opononi :-). Roof down, sun, little traffic. A great day to be alive :-)
Awesome, That's where I can imagine the Boxster comes into it's own. Soon you will truly have the best of both driving worlds - Soft top water-cooled, and Hard-top Air-cooled. Vinegar Hill Road was busy busy on Sunday, so not as legendary as the drive down country. We did the trip in one day yesterday so Gentle Annie did not make it into the plan, that really would be the long way up, but one I need to tick off the driving list.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Do any of you fine gentlemen know this car? Friend of mine is interested, advised him to go for a test drive and get a PPI: http://www.trademe.co.nz/693220588
Old 02-10-2014, 12:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
What do the Z221s drive like on the open road? Much rumble? Macca I will need to establish if the Mag 1's are authentic, is there anyway to do this or anyone locally who could help, so far all I can verify is the part no. matching and the lettering style looking the same, but all from the desk. I was excited about the initial discovery too, I'm keeping them on as 'revolving credit' for one day in the future, possibly to fund if there's ever an engine rebuild required. If I do decide to sell them I guess the best replacement would be a set of Cup 1 replicas with PS2s for the road and a set of ? with Z221s for the track.
Sam. They are the real deal trust me. Having owned a set I did all the research as did the buyer I sold them to who was a famous RS dealer in UK. If you give me the Mg/Au rating on the back Ill tell you for sure. The metallurgy will be stamped there. They are fragile so take care. An xray would show them starting to crystallise by now. People buy them for originality not sure. They are very difficult to weld (magnesium content is high so care needs to be taken and a special acid wash and epoxy sealer/primer is needed as mg is porus). If it were me Id pocket the coin soon and buy some of Daves D90s stash, probably get a full set for $500 with rubber!

Here is a picture of mine if its any help to identify markings...
Attached Images      
Old 02-10-2014, 12:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Do any of you fine gentlemen know this car? Friend of mine is interested, advised him to go for a test drive and get a PPI: http://www.trademe.co.nz/693220588
Jake. I dont know the car, however it should be cheap because it has 4 things going against it. 1). Import. 2). Tipo, 3). Targa and 4) mileage. Unfortunately the enthusiast market does not favour a car like this so although it may be a cheap buy it may not appreciate as quickly as other 964s. Just a thought for your friend. Bottom line with old 911s is you get what you pay for. A good looked after manual 964 should be 40K. Same with tipo probably mid/low 30K. Add in Targa and mileage and probably sitting at 30K. Buying the wrong car will be an instant 10K fail however...
Old 02-10-2014, 12:29 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I do decide to sell them I guess the best replacement would be a set of Cup 1 replicas with PS2s for the road and a set of ? with Z221s for the track.
221s on the road are pretty noisy but I think the consensus is they get a bit quieter as they wear. You definitely notice the difference when you get back onto good road tyres.

If you do need track wheels I'll be selling the BBS Sport Classics that I ran on the 964 for track. Nice and light - perfect fitment for the 964. John McM has first dibs since he and I both bid for them initially on TM. They have been refurbed since then.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:30 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks Macca, very true words. Much more sound than the advice my high altitude, snow ridden brain can provide at the moment!

As an aside, all this talk of wheels makes me want to add a little more to my USA holiday bill. Hardest part is finding the right wheel for the 997. So many ugly after market examples out there. Hard to find photos of something that is well suited to a silver TT.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:34 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pickup the C2 tonight and Dean doing PPI in the morning. Pretty excited.
I best slip Deano a few notes, make sure it fails then be sitting on the sidelines to pick up the pieces
Old 02-10-2014, 12:38 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

All this talk about tyres for the SITT and then something like this could happen. Fingers crossed these ********* get busted real quick.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11199489
Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

This clip shows the external noise

Pete used to sound like a jet plane on the front straight. I think it is the tread ridges rhythmically hitting the Tarmac. It is more pronounced when new, but I swear my trip to Manfield they sounded quieter than normal tyres on chip.

In terms of feel they are softer than normal tyres. I really like the feeling. Like you could go around any corner without a problem. Check out the angle I can come in at turn 2 and go through turn 3. No drama whatsoever.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:46 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Oops. Have to work out how to change the video from private.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?