Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
I think you'll be surprised how long the Z221s last. I put mine on just before the NITT, did one session on them at HD to give them an initial heat cycle (and finished that day on PSCs), then put them on for the NITT and have left them on ever since... I can't remember how many track days that is, but we're talking 5-6000kms and a lot of track driving on them. They still had enough tread (~3mm all round) to pass a WOF a couple of months ago. After Pukekohe, the fronts (soft compounds) still look good, but the rears (medium) are one track day away from being bald in the centre.
Thats great to know Matt. I think Pete got maybe 7-8 track days out of his but his camber wasnt as aggressive as yours or mine. If I can get SITT out of them and some touring on days in between I will be well happy (6 track days and 2500 km touring plus a few Ron weekend drives). That's pretty good going. By all accounts the GT3 will chew them up twice as fast but I guessing once you are piling that speed on in a heavier car makes sense everything is working twice as hard...
Old 02-10-2014, 12:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Jake. I dont know the car, however it should be cheap because it has 4 things going against it. 1). Import. 2). Tipo, 3). Targa and 4) mileage. Unfortunately the enthusiast market does not favour a car like this so although it may be a cheap buy it may not appreciate as quickly as other 964s. Just a thought for your friend. Bottom line with old 911s is you get what you pay for. A good looked after manual 964 should be 40K. Same with tipo probably mid/low 30K. Add in Targa and mileage and probably sitting at 30K. Buying the wrong car will be an instant 10K fail however...
Agree. I feel the Targa is coming back into relative vogue but the bigger money will be manual coupes. Get a good one and it will be a joy. Get a roughie and Macca's estimate is light. I must work our how much of my car cost now is changes vs fixes.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:53 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Thanks Macca, very true words. Much more sound than the advice my high altitude, snow ridden brain can provide at the moment! As an aside, all this talk of wheels makes me want to add a little more to my USA holiday bill. Hardest part is finding the right wheel for the 997. So many ugly after market examples out there. Hard to find photos of something that is well suited to a silver TT.
Hey - just realized we haven't seen any pics of the mountains!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:53 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nzskater
As an aside, all this talk of wheels makes me want to add a little more to my USA holiday bill. Hardest part is finding the right wheel for the 997. So many ugly after market examples out there. Hard to find photos of something that is well suited to a silver TT.
I would be trying to find some GT3 wheels for the 997. Especially a shade or three darker grey.

This S has them on Attachment 804940

Last edited by Runtothehills; 02-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:56 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
221s on the road are pretty noisy but I think the consensus is they get a bit quieter as they wear. You definitely notice the difference when you get back onto good road tyres. If you do need track wheels I'll be selling the BBS Sport Classics that I ran on the 964 for track. Nice and light - perfect fitment for the 964. John McM has first dibs since he and I both bid for them initially on TM. They have been refurbed since then.
Put me down as seriously interested in the BBS wheels. I think John has enough wheels already.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Great video makes for a nice interlude on this warm summers day. Its going to be a real battle looming between you and Doug when he takes over that 964 I cant see! Obviously will take him a little while to transfer platforms but I can see some great battles looming - hopefully from my rear vision mirror ;-P.

Just had a thought, you can now mount your gopro to your harness bar!

Dont bother adding it up John. Suffice to say its probably 75K now and best forgotten. Well have a BBQ when you turn 100k. Unlike the others you have a greater chance of achieving this as you keep your cars longer!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:05 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

All this talk about tyres for the SITT and then something like this could happen. Fingers crossed these ********* get busted real quick.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11199489
No probs if you have 5 wheel nuts, a lug wrench and doughnut tyres, not one big nut and liquorice strips aye Macca?
D90's and gumballs would roll straight over those suckers
Old 02-10-2014, 02:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave. Im taking the 993 to SITT. Wouldn't really matter either way. A flat tyre is a flat tyre. Cant believe the mentality of these people. Great way to put tourists off the area I guess!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:25 AM
Maxem
Drifting

I best slip Deano a few notes, make sure it fails then be sitting on the sidelines to pick up the pieces
I paid him already
Old 02-10-2014, 02:41 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
I paid him already
Thought so - he was wandering around the workshop in a camo cap today
Old 02-10-2014, 02:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. Great video makes for a nice interlude on this warm summers day. Its going to be a real battle looming between you and Doug when he takes over that 964 I cant see! Obviously will take him a little while to transfer platforms but I can see some great battles looming - hopefully from my rear vision mirror ;-P. Just had a thought, you can now mount your gopro to your harness bar! Dont bother adding it up John. Suffice to say its probably 75K now and best forgotten. Well have a BBQ when you turn 100k. Unlike the others you have a greater chance of achieving this as you keep your cars longer!
I'm looking forward to some great competitive laps.

Just went for a drive with Doug. He will have a learning curve. The 964 is not as accessible as the later cars. However the base car is there and it's just a matter of getting used to it. I predict he will be circulating faster than his Boxster before the NITT.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

And so the great love affair begins. I bet its nice driving a car with a voice Doug?

It wont take more than a session at HD to pick up. The racecraft is similar just different lines. I should think 1.20 is a reasonable target in the meantime.

Ive been dreaming about NITT. Ive been doing laps of Taupo and Manfield in my sleep. I can find 2-3 seconds at Taupo but only a maximum of 1 at Manfield. I cant wait for NITT. I wont get back to HD again till 2015 but I will get back to Taupo & Manfield (and funny enough Ill be doing all four SI tracks again in Oct/Nov) so there's something to look forward too....
Old 02-10-2014, 04:53 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Doug's offline for a while. I just had a call from him, he's gassing up and heading off into the night somewhere for a long drive
Old 02-10-2014, 04:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

And so the great love affair begins. I bet its nice driving a car with a voice Doug? It wont take more than a session at HD to pick up. The racecraft is similar just different lines. I should think 1.20 is a reasonable target in the meantime. Ive been dreaming about NITT. Ive been doing laps of Taupo and Manfield in my sleep. I can find 2-3 seconds at Taupo but only a maximum of 1 at Manfield. I cant wait for NITT. I wont get back to HD again till 2015 but I will get back to Taupo & Manfield (and funny enough Ill be doing all four SI tracks again in Oct/Nov) so there's something to look forward too....
I think an older car needs time to connect. Doug's not going to be able to really see it's capabilities rolling round the burbs whilst being careful. As soon as he hits the power band he's ticket material. Basic story is the car feels as good as described and will be very competitive in the air cooled group.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Im still of the belief to really know a 911 you need to drive it fast in the wet. Once you can get confident in a 911 in the wet then you become a much better driver for it....

Some people just dont get the old aircooled cars. Ive offered up my keys to Richard Snow on more than one occasion as an example. He's never taken the offer.

Dougs had Cayenne S and Boxster for a number of years now. This is not only a first 911 but a first aircooled so it will take a little while to get adjusted.

Cant wait to drive with him out on track. It will add a whole new exciting dimension to his SITT. Hope you had a good head unit installed Dave!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?