Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by jsivvy
Well, it's done. Have put my 965 Turbo on TradeMe. Think am going to go grab a bottle of wine to drown my sorrows. Am gutted. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=695538402
Jon, at least it's a rationale decision. Something I couldn't get my head around.

Some thoughts out loud and no doubt others might have other things to add.

The car has a landed value of GBP 56,000 in the UK. A similar Turbo 3.6 would go for GBP 90,000 and the one in Hawkes Bay was effectively sold for that. Your car is a niche market in NZ. Look at putting it up for sale on a UK site.

BTW Speedlines are close to $14,000 a set, new. You might want to look at swapping them out for the original 3.3 Turbo wheels if price becomes an issue.

Good luck with the sale. Kohi is losing aircooled cars in droves. Not good
Old 02-10-2014, 11:54 PM
jsivvy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Err, that should be 964 Turbo. Alcohol is helping.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:05 AM
jsivvy
Intermediate

Thanks John, useful thoughts. Will look at posting on a few other sites as well but would prefer it stay in NZ. I also have option of storing it at my mother-in-laws if can't sell it now.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:49 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsivvy
Thanks John, useful thoughts. Will look at posting on a few other sites as well but would prefer it stay in NZ. I also have option of storing it at my mother-in-laws if can't sell it now.
Its a beautiful car in the flesh. Another one on the 'one day' list - good luck with sale.

John's suggestion is not a bad one - albeit would be sad to see it leave the country. However there have been many more imported here than have gone the other way so we are on the right side of the ledger. The Porsche micro-economy of Melanesia Rd is another story altogether!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:54 AM
jsivvy
Intermediate

Thanks Peter, going to be quite sad to leave the car and Melanesia (though am keeping the house for now). I'm waiting for Melanesia to start imitating Macca and go for GT3s!
Old 02-11-2014, 01:04 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Not sure who on here uses Kickstarter to buy cool gear but for the uninitiated you may wish to buy the ultimate iPhone in car holder cheap by becoming a backer like I have. Solid alloy construction real piece of quality and art. http://gearhungry.com/2014/02/ultima...one-mount.html
Thanks, am now a backer!

Jake. The HLT comes in 19 as do quite a few of there other designs. If you can find the right wheel would be worth having Tirerack send to your hotel and bring back as excess baggage. Unfortunately they wont ship OZ wheels to NZ (distribution license agreement issues). I think from memory I picked up my full set of 18s for $2550 USD last year including Michelin Super Sport Tyres laser fitted and balanced. Unbelievably cheap when you consider the tyres alone in NZ retail for more than that same price (converted to NZD) http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/oz-racing-wheels.jsp
Great idea. Will need to figure out how much excess baggage costs will be internally; will need to get them sent to Houston as I'm not staying over in LA before heading out.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Globally 3.3T's are worth far less than 3.6's. Around 55-60%.

The 3.3T is a future investment car. I think they are very much a bargain in the UK & NZ right now....
Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Thanks, am now a backer!

Great idea. Will need to figure out how much excess baggage costs will be internally; will need to get them sent to Houston as I'm not staying over in LA before heading out.
Good work Jake. Im a baker too. There is some great stuff on that site. What a place!

If you are flying Air NZ they do an extra piece of luggage (or equivalent "parcel") 23kg for $75 NZD. If you and a mate took two each in factory box tapped together you'd get them to NZ for $150 and you will never get cheaper than that. Tirerack will ship almost anywhere in the states Fedex for around $60.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. Regards your aircon. These guys below are often recognised on this board as being the best at replacing the failed evaporator with a more modern spec unit which improves efficiency markedly and is a factory fit part. Also upgraded barrier style hoses etc. More often than not at around 15+ years its the evaporator that fails on 964/993 (poor design, gets condensation and rots out, seals are a weak point). Id say over 60% of 964s with running aircon have had this job done. I know its over 1 out of 2 x 993 these days too. When mine goes (which it will) Ill be sourcing the new Kuehl unit as its well regarded...

http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/ac/964ac/index.html
Old 02-11-2014, 02:58 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Good work Jake. Im a backer too. There is some great stuff on that site. What a place!
Love Kickstarter - now if that mount also used the nano-tech surface for the mounting suction cup I'd be all in. Beautiful unit, though.

I have a nondescript mount that has high Amazon ratings and I can suction to the lower dash or other non-perfect surfaces. I like to mount the phone down near radio level as I find up top it gets so much hotter.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:06 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got home from having front arm poly bushings installed, a torn cv boot replaced & a full realignment which included getting rid of the US-style rake.

Not sure which change was the largest contributor, but the dead-zone near center I was experiencing with the Bridgestones is pretty much gone and hard/tight turn in is noticeably improved. Feels much more throwable now. The front rubber bushes had air gaps & the rear came down about 15mm.

We'll see how it handles HD once the driver catches up to it's capabilities.

cs
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2014, 03:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great work Chris. You are really getting that car set up well now and doing all the right items. Its all about suspension and handling on the track and it sounds like you have a clear plan for HD 964 domination! Those font bushes often look fine till you rip them out and Peter is a wizz at setting these cars up on Geo....
Old 02-11-2014, 03:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. The iphone holder was recommended because it uses a large replaceable sticky rubber base. You can but the black sticky rubber gasket separately as a replacement (below). Supposedly its one of the most stable systems out there. I only bought this to use the iPhone as a GPS so want it mounted above the dash quite far forward like I did in Europe on the GT3. Not sure if it will do the trick but hope so...

This video shows how to change the suction cup. You have to love a product that has been made this well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v_sr...ature=youtu.be
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2014, 03:38 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Just got home from having front arm poly bushings installed, a torn cv boot replaced & a full realignment which included getting rid of the US-style rake. Not sure which change was the largest contributor, but the dead-zone near center I was experiencing with the Bridgestones is pretty much gone and hard/tight turn in is noticeably improved. Feels much more throwable now. The front rubber bushes had air gaps & the rear came down about 15mm. We'll see how it handles HD once the driver catches up to it's capabilities. cs
Chris, looks great. What spec did you ask Peter to set up to?

The arms race is in full flight by the look of it. I should have some deliveries this week. If you have a nice quiet road we could test what should arrive tomorrow, on the Weekend. Need to do some back to back testing on through gear runs using the AIM.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2014, 04:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. If your expecting to see much in a chip dont be too disappointed. We tested Steve Weiners Chip and two versions of Steve Wongs chip on the dyno and the improvements were minor. Nothing you could really pick up with the butt dyno and certainly nothing your AIM will pick up (to many variables in testing method). What the chip will be good for is improving throttle response and fuel economy as well as hopefully addressing your LWFC stalling issue. There may be 8-12 bhp in there somewhere but youll be hard pressed to notice form my experience. If you are doing the conversion to MAF with a different airfilter along with a chip you may see 18-20 bhp....if you want to test the chip properly head out to Hitek Automotive and use their dynopak before and after.

I really think there would be some value in you fellas all swapping keys for 2-3 hours at a time heading up to Reianga. I cant express enough how trying others cars can really help you nail what to do on your own and its been my single biggest impediment personally to learning as I never got the opportunity myself (hence why Im always happy to give folk like Paul looking for a 993 a go, or many others in the past). The best way to figure out how well you have set up your car is to hop in someone elses and drive theres for a while. I reckon if you did that you would quickly understand the effects of weight, suspension (say Dougs C2), Chris C4 would give you different ideas on suspension, brake feel, Geo etc.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?