Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014 | 05:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Im not believing Matt for a minute. There was always something Boogie Nights about that cat. I reckon if it bristles with technology its his.

Doug, wonderful write up and so glad to hear you enjoyed your first proper drive. You will only grow to love the car more over time. It wont take you long to master. More so than the boxster the key is always understanding the balance between under-steer and oversteer in these cars. Front end grip and turn in become your weapons to cornering fast as well as being brave on the brakes. The brake and accelerator pedals are very close together so once you get over your initial awkwardness of finding them floor mounted you will find that heel & toe is very easy in a 911 as the distance is short. Heel & toe will become most important in fast tight winding roads to keep the car balanced on downshifts into hard tightening corners whilst under brakes. Turning in earlier than you expect is key to allowing ypou latitude to unwind should you elicit over steer (whist remaining more or less on your side of the road!). Plenty to learn but also some good teachers in Ray and Steve. I think for your next track day you definitely need to pay ray to ride shotgun and help with a fast track style correction for old skool 911.

Anyway. Im sure youll enjoy this car. The aircon isnt great but Ive found it can hold its own fine with the typical temperatures of an Auckland summer all but the warmest (you guys still seem to be having pretty mild temps around 25C or less). Its nice to have it touring I find. If you have to do teh condenser there are some newer aftermarket options available that fit and that are far more efficient than the factory unit and you can find info on this on RL.
Old 02-10-2014 | 05:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
I'm thinking of some grey/graphite OZ leggeritas, I reakon that is a good look with the silver.
Im thinking you are spot on!
Old 02-10-2014 | 05:33 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm thinking of some grey/graphite OZ leggeritas, I reakon that is a good look with the silver.
+1 on that. Very nice looking wheel.
Old 02-10-2014 | 06:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

La la la, la lola
I suspect this will be the next 964 decked out in Fuchs so Lola doesn't really fit. However, I'm reluctant to put any female names out here as
I haven't met many of the Gruppe partners.
Old 02-10-2014 | 07:33 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

If only they came in 19"!
Old 02-10-2014 | 07:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Not sure who on here uses Kickstarter to buy cool gear but for the uninitiated you may wish to buy the ultimate iPhone in car holder cheap by becoming a backer like I have. Solid alloy construction real piece of quality and art.

http://gearhungry.com/2014/02/ultima...one-mount.html
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2014 | 07:47 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks for all your comments. Been dealing with 5 days away from work email.

CCS PPI (it was just so I could look hard at my new car from both sides came out with. Full thumbs up... In fact there was even some foaming at the mouth by the boys on how good it was. Nice being able to see Matt's suspension handiwork from below. She's very clean. Thanks Dave and Mat for your careful guardianship.

I took particular delight in setting off some of my teams car alarms as i drove into our car park thismorning.

Next: prep for Cape Reinga and SITT.

Fresh oil (engine and trans unless you did the trans Matt?)
Fresh SRF
Fresh belts
And a few minor things like the sterio
Might replace the aircon gas and see what happens, for cruising only. Then again might look to lighten it up John :-P

Big thanks to Dave and John for nursing a newby through this so kindly and others for your advice and encouragement. See you on the 28th :-)

Dave, I got a few splattered insects on her last night :-). Bit dirty now.
Old 02-10-2014 | 07:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Thanks for all your comments. Been dealing with 5 days away from work email. CCS PPI (it was just so I could look hard at my new car from both sides came out with. Full thumbs up... In fact there was even some foaming at the mouth by the boys on how good it was. Nice being able to see Matt's suspension handiwork from below. She's very clean. Thanks Dave and Mat for your careful guardianship. I took particular delight in setting off some of my teams car alarms as i drove into our car park thismorning. Next: prep for Cape Reinga and SITT. Fresh oil (engine and trans unless you did the trans Matt?) Fresh SRF Fresh belts And a few minor things like the sterio Might replace the aircon gas and see what happens, for cruising only. Then again might look to lighten it up John :-P Big thanks to Dave and John for nursing a newby through this so kindly and others for your advice and encouragement. See you on the 28th :-) Dave, I got a few splattered insects on her last night :-). Bit dirty now.
Thank goodness I'm in the normal group on the 26th. I'm starting to feel the pressure. Need more power and/or less weight to keep up the pace. Let's hope Pete and Matt don't come back to 964 ownership any time soon or It will become a 964 tribute group.

Good you are getting SRF. We can carry common spares for cars on the epic tour. I have a lot of experience in the smaller repairs e.g. We could fix up that side sill easily. However the main thing is that you have a sorted platform. As long as you stay in my rear view mirror I will be happy
Old 02-10-2014 | 07:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jake. The HLT comes in 19 as do quite a few of there other designs. If you can find the right wheel would be worth having Tirerack send to your hotel and bring back as excess baggage. Unfortunately they wont ship OZ wheels to NZ (distribution license agreement issues). I think from memory I picked up my full set of 18s for $2550 USD last year including Michelin Super Sport Tyres laser fitted and balanced. Unbelievably cheap when you consider the tyres alone in NZ retail for more than that same price (converted to NZD)

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/oz-racing-wheels.jsp
Old 02-10-2014 | 08:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Loving the 964 Tribute idea. Who's going to be Ringo? :-)

Doug. Good plan indeed. Get the gearbox oil done anyway. For a track car being used regularly its cheap annual maintenance. Ask John what we bough for gearbox oil - was good stuff and only like $150 including the labour to fill. Keep the Endless on for the track. I think youll find they pay dividends - the 964 brakes arent a strong point.

John. You remember a few posts ago you were done spending money on the C4......never say never!
Old 02-10-2014 | 08:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Loving the 964 Tribute idea. Who's going to be Ringo? :-) Doug. Good plan indeed. Get the gearbox oil done anyway. For a track car being used regularly its cheap annual maintenance. Ask John what we bough for gearbox oil - was good stuff and only like $150 including the labour to fill. Keep the Endless on for the track. I think youll find they pay dividends - the 964 brakes arent a strong point. John. You remember a few posts ago you were done spending money on the C4......never say never!
Not much more to do. I'm sorting the tendency for the LWF to stall the car when cold and sorting stance. It stops there for the moment....
Old 02-10-2014 | 09:25 PM
mjg
Pro

Pretty sure the trans oil would've been changed, it'll be in the Motorscience receipts if so. Macca's right, for a tracked car I'd change it annually. Especially as those cars don't have trans oil coolers.
Old 02-10-2014 | 09:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Pretty sure the trans oil would've been changed, it'll be in the Motorscience receipts if so. Macca's right, for a tracked car I'd change it annually. Especially as those cars don't have trans oil coolers.
Macca and I used Redline 75W90 NS - GL-5.

It hasn't cured, but seems to help the shift from 2nd to 3rd when hot.
Old 02-10-2014 | 10:24 PM
mjg
Pro

Switching fluids won't solve that, it's a mechanical issue. You need to be patient during that shift.

I'd strongly recommend sticking to OEM fluids (or Mobil Delvac with is the factory fill for Porsche race cars) and changing yearly.
Old 02-10-2014 | 11:06 PM
jsivvy
Intermediate

Well, it's done. Have put my 965 Turbo on TradeMe. Think am going to go grab a bottle of wine to drown my sorrows. Am gutted.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=695538402

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?