Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Absolute frustration. Took the Turbo 3.6 to Tauranga and got stuck behind a bus all oif the way through K gorge.
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Absolute frustration. Took the Turbo 3.6 to Tauranga and got stuck behind a bus all oif the way through K gorge.
That sucks, always happens doesn't it. There is the old Tauranga road that you can hook a right onto a bridge at the big waterfall. This bypasses Waihi and it is a good back road. Comes out at the top of the Athenree gorge. To pick it up coming home, just after you climb out of the Athenree gorge the road is on the left.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
That sucks, always happens doesn't it. There is the old Tauranga road that you can hook a right onto a bridge at the big waterfall. This bypasses Waihi and it is a good back road. Comes out at the top of the Athenree gorge. To pick it up coming home, just after you climb out of the Athenree gorge the road is on the left.
Thanks, I'll try that. V1 has been very busy. Hope everyone has protection for the SITT
Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I have a thing about the look of black wheels on a red car. Are the look of these grouse or gross to you?
Doug, when I first got the car and was looking for Cup 1's, a plan was to paint them mid battleship grey One side and a darker off white the other. Grey didn't come off well on the D90's but with pumped out Cup 1's and a lowered chassis I think it would have worked. But that is just me thinking that. Another colour is a darker flat metallic bronze.

Picture is of plastidip camo tan on the car - for experimental purposes prior to committing to colour. The colour was a bit tan and not so off white.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Maxem
Drifting

The picture
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Maxem
Drifting

The other experimental dark grey colour
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Maxem
Drifting

These are pretty cool D90's with polished lip. I kept telling John how ugly his frankenstein D90's were so that he'd sell them to me but I secretly liked them for their potential. IMO a red '64 or earlier 911 looks best with polished lips and black centers. Johns wheels are a cheap mans way to a 20 meter fuchs look.
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Maxem
Drifting

You all had enough of D90's yet? A future design classic and Porsche will one day have a 21" D90 style wheel for the 992 60 year anniversary model
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Well my multiquote reply just died, argh. So here goes:

John - the trim looks great to my eyes. Next time we get together let's see about eliminating some additional imperfections.

Doug - Congrats on joining the 964 crew - so glad that it's staying in the club even if I am the culprit who snagged the Heigo! Feeling a bit guilty about that, now that the 964 is staying.

LHD vs RHD is interesting for sure. I found no issues so far driving my LHD, the cabin is small enough to be able to reach through and get a parking ticket or mcdonalds! I just imagine how much it would drop car prices here if LHD of all years were allowed. Just saw an interesting fact on Wikipedia:

Today, about 65% of the world's population live in countries with right-hand traffic and 35% in countries with left-hand traffic.[3] About 90% of the world's total road distance carries traffic on the right and 10% on the left.

BTW - anyone interested in the evening session at HD on the 15th? I might head down and do a couple easy (5/10ths!) sessions to familiarize myself with HD.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:36 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You all had enough of D90's yet? A future design classic and Porsche will one day have a 21" D90 style wheel for the 992 60 year anniversary model
I love that dish ...
Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
+1, been trying to tie it up with a trip to the northern lights to appease the mrs.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:05 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
BTW - anyone interested in the evening session at HD on the 15th? I might head down and do a couple easy (5/10ths!) sessions to familiarize myself with HD.
Chris - I think the 15th is fully sold out. We don't have an RSG group that day but looks like both Prestige and regular groups are full.

Given the afternoon sessions always seem to thin out you could try turning up and then doing a deal with tony/Gary to run the last 3 sessions of the day once a few people have gone home?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:13 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug, when I first got the car and was looking for Cup 1's, a plan was to paint them mid battleship grey One side and a darker off white the other. Grey didn't come off well on the D90's but with pumped out Cup 1's and a lowered chassis I think it would have worked. But that is just me thinking that. Another colour is a darker flat metallic bronze. Picture is of plastidip camo tan on the car - for experimental purposes prior to committing to colour. The colour was a bit tan and not so off white.
Ha, nice to see you went through this journey looking at different colours. Being able to see this variety of d90 colours on the car is pretty helpful thanks.

The other experimental dark grey colour
Hmmm, they don't look as good to me this dark as I had thought.

These are pretty cool D90's with polished lip. I kept telling John how ugly his frankenstein D90's were so that he'd sell them to me but I secretly liked them for their potential. IMO a red '64 or earlier 911 looks best with polished lips and black centers. Johns wheels are a cheap mans way to a 20 meter fuchs look.
I had wondered about polished lips. I'd also wondered about red painted lips, mixing modern ideas with old, but would have to mock that up to see how it looked to see if it was good or gross.

Using plastidip to experiment with colours is an interesting idea :-)

Thanks Dave
Old 02-08-2014, 11:19 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Well my multiquote reply just died, argh. So here goes..... Doug - Congrats on joining the 964 crew - so glad that it's staying in the club even if I am the culprit who snagged the Heigo! Feeling a bit guilty about that, now that the 964 is staying.
I don't know if you use a PC or iPad but on iPad with their iPad app multi quote replies are really easy. Just pull down the reply nav and click the tick box on the left under the persons photo.

Thanks for the congrats. And no worries about the Heigo. Nice of you to PM me and offer it back to go with the car. You are a real gentleman. No worries though, if I want one in future I know how it looks and can always get one in.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:46 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Haha - I can't sell the frankensteins because they have my cheap and nasty road wheels that get me a warrant of fitness.

They need by re-plastidipped.
Attached Images  

Last edited by John McM; 02-09-2014 at 01:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?