Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
On a separate issue - my exhausts look like they have been spitting out rust........??

I am guessing this is a build up of carbon that I am spitting out...??

I had a similar issue at the track in March. Looked like a white ceramic coating on inside of exhasut tips. Didnt clean up like soot or anything. Had Dean check the plugs. Not that or the oil filter etc. We put it down to a bad batch of fuel causing some lean burning. It never happened at Taupo or Manfield and I ran harder there. I have avoided filling up at that station on the Sthn motorway ever since as thats where I got the fuel and I head someone else got bad fuel there too once. Call me superstitious. Maybe your issue was something similar?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

And more 'Red Mist' descends................... John - you need to sort your sh*t on those 2 x HD corners mate. I have observed that you are just as fast as anyone else on Puke, Taupo and Manfield - but for some reason you are leaving a 'Dave' on the table at HD. Time to get over this self imposed jinx coz you have the speed at other tracks. .
I've got the sweeper sorted, well at least the AIM data showed I matched Peter's previous best C4 time there last session. Turn one is the last time killer. One second there. The last second is little bits here and there. I think I can go low 1:19 this year. Mid winter run on Z221s.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:51 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the mix of old and new

Last edited by Runtothehills; 02-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Started out around 1:40 and ended up very close to breaking into 1:29's. I'm happy with the result on an untested vehicle, many years since my last track day & first time really driving it since arriving in NZ. Fits like a glove ... Now off to go fit my brake ducts & scope out track tires!
Tyres not tires

Forget everything positive you hear about Z221s. They are rubbish. We just buy then because they are cheap

You looked good out there today. Certainly seemed to be on the pace on the last couple of sessions. White 964s are the fastest colour so there is a natural advantage.

Now what's this about a chip?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:15 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

On a separate issue - my exhausts look like they have been spitting out rust........?? I am guessing this is a build up of carbon that I am spitting out...?? .
Could just be rust - years of short drives and condensation pooling & flaking up interior surfaces. AND probably carbon.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:24 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Tyres not tires Forget everything positive you hear about Z221s. They are rubbish. We just buy then because they are cheap You looked good out there today. Certainly seemed to be on the pace on the last couple of sessions. White 964s are the fastest colour so there is a natural advantage. Now what's this about a chip?
Tyres, meters, l/100k, keep left, strong Dollar - it's a steep learning curve!

Yes - towards the end it was coming together much more nicely. Once the lines were down a bit, I enjoyed Puke. Ready to give HD a go!

I'm in on a chip (not crisps) buy when you're ready.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great pictures (as always) Sam!

Just spoke to Richard. He went for his first proper drive in the GT3 yesterday with Rons group and limited to 7000 rpm. Today he limited himself to 8000 but did admit a couple of times he took it to the redline. He had a great day, concentrated on bedding in the brakes and learning how the car handled in the corners. Im not sure he has driven the new layout before but he commented how poor the surface was in places. He drove with the car in Manual, ESC off and suspension on normal road settings (exactly as I would have done).

I agree white is fast. I cant help the temptation to post some comparative pictures (to Sams angle on the red car) of my white one again. Looks better in the flesh I promise!
Attached Images    
Old 01-27-2014, 05:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Chris, HD is going to be a while off for me now. I can't do twilight.

Next drive for me is the Cape Reinga leg of the SITT. That will be a truly epic driving month.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

First cut of the 'fast' session. Long, but a bit of everything. Matt's power pass down the main straight (looking a bit tail light under braking there Matt - not a good place to step out). I will look at the other session footage tonight.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I think George was instructing in the 991 and Steve was towing - just in case you are wondering how I managed to keep up....
Old 01-27-2014, 02:03 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Yes, it was a good day, but not one for pushing on. Good day for short shifting the straights and working on the corners. I kind of miss the old track where bigger speeds were available down the chute. Favourite part is still the turn 1 sweeper, holding fourth and part throttle through it with all the bumps, then banging third and nailing it briefly thru the left kink at the esses before gathering it up for the turn onto the back straight. Well that was the plan anyway.

Brakes. Friday night i fitted a set of Endless ME22 brake pads. These are race pads so I will be interested to see how they go on the road long term. They are pricey (2 x the pagids I had) so I am expecting long life, hopefully longer than the Pagids which needed changing at half worn. They were quite impressive today, I was pleased to find that they bedded in and worked strongly. Lighter pedal pressure and much later braking than I'm used to got the ABS going quite a bit. Very impressive performance. One downside which I hope will fix itself is high speed brake squeal. You might have heard it today. The trip home was quiet except one stop which was pretty bad. Maybe once they settle in they will quieten down.
Interesting - my new PFC 08 pads squeal madly at high speed too, even though all other forum posters said they wouldn't..
Matt G PFC pads (06 front 01 back) don't squeal on track I think). Maybe we're not getting on them hard enough??
Old 01-27-2014, 04:00 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
The opposite actually. Today confirmed that I have only one track ready car and that's the C4.

The Turbo 3.6 will be a garage queen from now on. Dusted off occasionally, but not driven more than 2,000 km / year.

The 996 TT will become a DD only. The banner will come off, as will the plate. I'll sell off the 'ugly' rims with the Z221s (cost - $200 for today's use, if anyone is interested) They proved to be true wheels and the tyres are excellent, but I can't fit those on the C4 as they are 18".

The C4 will become more track focussed after the SITT: Steve Wong chip, suspension etc. I will also look at some lessons and to tap Simon's experience.
John
I would be interested in the wheels.. If I ever get the chance to get to the track that is..!
Didn't sell a boat either..Sounds like a good day tho
Old 01-27-2014, 04:04 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was going to come out in the 'avo, luckily checked the car and the bloody WOF has expired..Only done 1000km since last one..!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Great video. Its a shame the editing suit compresses them to a point they are very pixilated. Maybe step them up a couple of notches resolution wise. A few observations. The 996TT is very quiet inside even on the gas. its not the soul drive your C4 is. Make sure you take the C4 to reianga. You can even hear the radio LOL! Matts exhaust sounds great. Thats a natural overtaking point I should think in terms of a racing line. The 991S had less power and torque than you so Im glad you kept it honest. Looks like a good turnout and ideal weather. They have really changed the back 1/4 of the track from when I was last there 10 years ago.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
John I would be interested in the wheels.. If I ever get the chance to get to the track that is..! Didn't sell a boat either..Sounds like a good day tho
Phil, two are hollow spoke, two are solid. All functional and good spares that can be cosmetically restored if you do catastrophic damage to a normal rim. Z221s have maybe half wear. Excellent adhesion. They alone are $2,000 + new. PM me for a total price. I am going to focus on tracking the C4 here-on out.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?