Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:32 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088 View Post

yep see how it goes for dates etc
Just signed up for NI Targa and Targa NZ so motorsport schedule getting pretty full not to mention budget! on top of SITT
Targa Comp is a bit more than Tour too what with entry fees and crew costs too

I'm going to try and make the NI Targa. What car are you running?

I need to sort out crew too. Haven't even spoken to Steve to see if he's interested, if not I think I'll call Wayne in CHCH.

I have been running a Subaru Impreza for a few years now - 2nd incarnation is a 22B replica. I decided pretty early on not to run a Pcar due to the need to treat a competition car as 'expendable' and parts costs are very much more manageable too. Most mechanical parts can be bought 2nd hand. I run in restricted class which is sometimes a bit frustrating but I figure a full open car needs more development - bigger intercooler, turbo, brakes wheels/tyre package, strengthened block, etc etc. And even then the big boys are chasing 500hp plus in the case of evo and Subaru or 700hp in case of gtr boys so I have run a reliable package and spend the money competing rather than chasing development since it is all about the fun.
The only thing of course is its all relative. whilst I have generally been mechanically reliable the last Targa I blew a gasket and then had overheating problems and had to pull out otherwise would have destroyed the engine. So now going to a closed deck block anyway...
The car is fast enough though a full race gtr going past in a straight line disappears very quick. In the tight stuff its closer. Last Targa Proctor came past as we got to some tight sections in Taranaki and we followed for about 3km and he was just easing away.
Best results I have had are 6th outright on Rotorua and 10th and 11th I think on Targa NZ. With a few class wins along the way. Not many restricted boys though

I use the same crew for several years now - been driving on targa since 2007
Old 02-06-2014, 05:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Dinner at Saffron in Arrowtown? I've heard you need to book well advance so, if we are up for it, we should book in nowish. http://www.saffronrestaurant.co.nz/menu.html Entres $16-20 Mains $36-40 Sides $8.50 Deserts $16 And if you're still hungry or on a budget there's Ferg Burger in Queenstown - world famous burger and chips for $20
That reminds me. Confirmed that my wife and 11yr old son will fly in Saturday morning, 22nd and out Tuesday afternoon, 25th. They are flying Jetstar because we left it too late to capture reasonably priced flights on Air NZ. They will focus on attractions around Queenstown etc. Milford Sound is not a starter. Wife likes good food. Son likes McDs.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:34 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferg Burger in Queenstown - world famous burger and chips for $20
We're there for 5 nights... $100 will cover it then, job done!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
That reminds me. Confirmed that my wife and 11yr old son will fly in Saturday morning, 22nd and out Tuesday afternoon, 25th. They are flying Jetstar because we left it too late to capture reasonably priced flights on Air NZ. They will focus on attractions around Queenstown etc. Milford Sound is not a starter. Wife likes good food. Son likes McDs.
John. Glad to hear Donna and your son are on boar even if only for a few days. Jo will be relieved. It was looking like a boys only trip there for a moment! I thik Chris Bs partner and child are heading down for Queenstown too. Are there more wives/girlfriends heading down for the Qtown leg?
Old 02-06-2014, 05:58 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

no wife, partner or gf with me
Old 02-06-2014, 06:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Glad to hear Donna and your son are on boar even if only for a few days. Jo will be relieved. It was looking like a boys only trip there for a moment! I thik Chris Bs partner and child are heading down for Queenstown too. Are there more wives/girlfriends heading down for the Qtown leg?
I think many are taking wives/partners. The risk of slips of the tongue needs to be addressed before they arrive. I have had to explain why I ordered 3 of the same T Shirt design (photo consistency!) but another Paypal email slipped past the investigation. Three more deliveries to come. Starting to get nervous. I want my car sorted for the 26/2 twilight.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:02 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Chris/Matt/Paul. Didn't we have a blast one some of those back roads back from Fielding? That first hours drive was sublime. Right back into Targa territory. Infact I never had as much fun again until a couple of the drives in Europe. That road drive for me was as fun as turning in a good lap first time out at Manfield. Drives like that dont come by too often but your remeber them when they do. Give me 20 minutes of that stuff over hours of 7/10ths LOL!
That was a lot of fun, bring on the Targa!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:05 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Thanks mate. In a fit of organisation on the weekend I just opened Rons sheet and booked the same accommodation as they did for the North Island. I had stayed at those places already and knew they were good. I never had any WTGN accommodation booked as I was going to camp with friends but feel it would be nice to take a trip down memory lane (I lived in Wellington for a few years in my Corporate Life and love the city there - restaurants especially, not sure if Logan Brown is still there but always got my special table there just sublime).

Ill revert to the sheet and get the booking under-way for Nelson/Franz Joseph leg this weekend...
Macca. I have accommodation booked for you, Doug, John and Matt in Lower Hutt, do you want me to cancel your booking?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:10 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Macca, it is dependent on route taken. You are booked from Franz Joseph onwards. You wanted to stay with Ron and co at Havlock North so book with them (Ron's accommodation is on the he drop box link from the RSG board). I think you are booked with us for Wellington (check on the RSG board - Ron and co are in the city at The Bolton ($300/night) and were in a cheap hotel at the Hutt. Plus book you and Chris with Ron and co for Nelson. Those of of us going via Lewis and Arthur's pass are staying in Hamner Springs while you are going via Nelson to Franz Joseph the short way. Yell out if you have any questions.
Doug. My plan was go down the Hamner route with the rest of the crew. Has the Hamner accomodation been booked yet?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:16 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Jacinda and Kaitlin are flying Jetstar as well. In Saturday morning arriving at 10:55, leaving Monday at 4:10.

Do you want a single bed put in your room at the Queenstown accomodation?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Jacinda and Kaitlin are flying Jetstar as well. In Saturday morning arriving at 10:55, leaving Monday at 4:10. Do you want a single bed put in your room at the Queenstown accomodation?
Same flight in, and same time out, but a day later.

Already discussing beds with Pete, behind the scenes. Yes, 11yr old is best in a single in the same room.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:30 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug. My plan was go down the Hamner route with the rest of the crew. Has the Hamner accomodation been booked yet?
Ok, got that Chris.

Funny you should ask about the Hamner accommodation.... I've done some research/looking last weekend and was going to complete this, the Hawkes Bay and the Cape Reinga bookings today seeing I'm sitting in hitherto Bach up North with it continuously drizzling outside.

Numbers for Cape Reinga are building almost daily :-)

I'll post details on the RSG trip threads.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Big apologies Chris. Yes please cancel my booking. I have booked and paid at Bolton. Must be my stuff up. I simply didn't recall any accommodation being booked for NI. I can see I posted on the RSG board on the SITT thread between 09-10 Jan but I was travelling up until that date and suspect I missed a few emails. We have booked Havelock and WTGN. Are you travelling the same route to Queenstown as RON & Pstys. In that case its Greymouth for accommodation I believe. Have you booked anything yet? Im still looking....
Old 02-06-2014, 06:31 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Same flight in, and same time out, but a day later.

Already discussing beds with Pete, behind the scenes. Yes, 11yr old is best in a single in the same room.
Great, I will finalise the bedding configuration when I have to confirm everything one month out from our arrival.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jacinda and Kaitlin are flying Jetstar as well. In Saturday morning arriving at 10:55, leaving Monday at 4:10.

Do you want a single bed put in your room at the Queenstown accomodation?
You might need it John to sleep on once Donna hears about your paypal indiscretions so I would definitely day yes...or you can simply move out to the lounge and sleep on the couch with myself Chris and all the others that have been smoked out for overspending...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?