Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 03:23 AM
sp1ked
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Getting closer................. Needs a final cut and polish and the plastic stone protection stuff. Luke - you can pick the rims up now (just transfer $1M into my account)..........
Looks great Paul. They've done an excellent job by the looks of it.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:27 AM
sp1ked
Instructor

Originally Posted by John McM
Kev drove past at 4:30. You could be right Meanwhile Herman is ready for the 28th. The Z221s have a lot of track rubbish on them. I must listen to Steve and stay on the race line when coming back in.
Surprised you don't have painted outlines for your tools yet John

And the car looks cool! One of my favourite 964's anywhere. The ducktail and perfect stance does it for me.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:38 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Kev drove past at 4:30. You could be right

Meanwhile Herman is ready for the 28th. The Z221s have a lot of track rubbish on them. I must listen to Steve and stay on the race line when coming back in.
John!! - your garage is missing something???
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2015, 03:38 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Yep, albeit just the IR gun. If you hold it pretty close to the tyre you can still take inside, middle, outside measurements at each corner. I'm really just looking for a fairly even spread of temps to confirm tyre pressures as I can't get more camber. Usually happy if they're within 5 degrees C or so across each tyre. You do have to be quick to do it though with an IR gun as the tyre will cool from the outside first. A probe pyrometer is better, eg Longacre etc - gives you more time and some will save the data as you go. I take these tread readings before getting the tyre pressures, as those don't come down near as fast. The more camber you're running, the better off you'll be with a probe pyrometer as the outer edges of the tyres will cool down much quicker than the insides on a cool down lap. After taking the readings I usually drive my car around a bit more to help the rotors cool more evenly.
Thanks for the info, definitely food for thought. I'd also be keen to take measurements after a spirited B road run, although the deltas will be smaller and environment may impact validity. Ideally I would like to be running settings that suit weekend driving, but aren't terrible for the track.

Anyone have a probe pyrometer? Would be great to get access to one for the 28th.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:03 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by sp1ked
Surprised you don't have painted outlines for your tools yet John And the car looks cool! One of my favourite 964's anywhere. The ducktail and perfect stance does it for me.
No time for painting outlines. I decided against a big garage fit out as spending $000s to store items of less value didn't make much sense. However I did want a workbench and some way of storing the tools. The outlines are useful if working on aircraft as you don't want to leave tools in there but cars are more tolerant.

Thanks on the compliment Glenn. I went to jack Herman up to get the track wheels on and noted I can no longer get the jack fittings on top of the race jack. The springs and shocks must have settled lower over the last 6 months. He's running a lot lower than the R. I don't think you'd want to go any lower. How's the 3.2 hunt going?
Old 03-30-2015, 04:11 AM
sp1ked
Instructor

I like the setup. Easy to use. And that's very true. We did have a lot of painted outlines in our RNZAF workshops and I did like knowing exactly where my tools went.

Not many 3.2's out there I've taken a liking too recently. Few other models have taken my fancy though and I'm very patient John. The right car at the right price will come up soon
Old 03-30-2015, 04:12 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Thanks for the info, definitely food for thought. I'd also be keen to take measurements after a spirited B road run, although the deltas will be smaller and environment may impact validity. Ideally I would like to be running settings that suit weekend driving, but aren't terrible for the track. Anyone have a probe pyrometer? Would be great to get access to one for the 28th.
Dean told us one racer built temp sensors into the wheel wells and could tell his temps in real time. There's a challenge for you!
Old 03-30-2015, 04:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

That reminds me that the Turbo 3.6 should have cleared customs and be in Leicester by now, but no news. Hope it arrived in good condition.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:25 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Getting closer.................

Needs a final cut and polish and the plastic stone protection stuff.

Luke - you can pick the rims up now (just transfer $1M into my account)..........
Mate --- you aren't gonna want to get any scratches or chips on that baby for a while. Very nice
Old 03-30-2015, 04:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sp1ked
I like the setup. Easy to use. And that's very true. We did have a lot of painted outlines in our RNZAF workshops and I did like knowing exactly where my tools went. Not many 3.2's out there I've taken a liking too recently. Few other models have taken my fancy though and I'm very patient John. The right car at the right price will come up soon
Look at how dopey my 18 year old can be at times it's sobering thinking that I was working on A4Ks at a similar age. A huge responsibility in hindsight when someone goes out in a fighter relying on critical systems you've been working on. The tool boards were a good check as were scrupulously clean floors to find dropped items.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:28 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Looks like a great road Doug. Have you put it in the RSG Database?
Ahem, doing that now.

Ha, nice come back Paul.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:15 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Paul, what's the deal with the autocross on the 12th -- still happening?

Your car looks great!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:25 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the kind comments guys - seriously hanging out for a fang........

I will have to arrange a special Miller's Back Sunday run - we can christen with some stone chips........

I will hold off completing the interior for a while - as I just want the car back - maybe a mid winter job??

Next job will be to soften the suspension (and raise the ride height - I do like the stance, but over tramlining across the road - 17's and taller tire wall might soften this??)
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2015, 05:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Hey Paul, what's the deal with the autocross on the 12th -- still happening?

Your car looks great!
No - rescheduling...........

Edit - maybe an unofficial run down to the Tron for lunch?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:04 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the kind comments guys - seriously hanging out for a fang........ I will have to arrange a special Miller's Back Sunday run - we can christen with some stone chips........ I will hold off completing the interior for a while - as I just want the car back - maybe a mid winter job?? Next job will be to soften the suspension (and raise the ride height - I do like the stance, but over tramlining across the road - 17's and taller tire wall might soften this??)
looks fantastic, you must be very pleased, looks like kevin wound the pss's down for you too, as you say looks great but could be too harsh, after the 28th I will get mine lifted slightly as I notice too much movement around bumpy road corners.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?