Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:58 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Sounds like cheap rubber alright. Whats wrong with the tyres? heat cycled out or just age hardened? Why do people take off tyres that are only 40% worn?

Are you putting Z221 on the turbo?
Not heat cycled, they go through them too fast racing in the GT3 cup cars to heat cycle them.

They are just left over as the series changed rules and tyre suppliers and the guys moved to the next tyre. With the Bridgestones they went to Hankook and with the 221's they opened up the series to slicks so the guys started using them instead.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Nice stuff, you certainly covered a few miles. In early December I discovered the b-road between just before Pauanui through to Waihi which is very nice, for future reference.
Great road! Drove it in my old Golf in October last year a day after buying the car. Almost drove it on the recent trip but didn't end up going to Pauanui so missed out. Is definitely on the agenda when I get back from the USA!

Originally Posted by John McM
Chris and I have just finished rummaging through piles of second hand race tyres. Chris picked up two sets of Bridgestone RE11S, and I got a set of Z221s. All wheels are 18". Cost per set is less than one new tyre. They also have GT3 bumpers etc. The guys are happy to have others rummage through the piles.
Pity they're 18" only. Will eventually buy another set of wheels for my car but would prefer to keep them the same size...
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by peterC2S
So this is the last look I get for 6 weeks while it hopefully makes its journey across the sea. Chris M has me worried now about the hold ups at this end... just got to be done in time for the SITT!!
Looks nice. I got my Q7 through MAF and compliance in 2 days. The age of the vehicle and how clean it is seem to be the two big factors, so you should be fine.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:02 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Ok, so we've followed Macca's amazing trip in Europe. How about we all drop a post about our local drives we did over the holidays. It would be nice to see what each of us are doing with actually DRIVING our awesome cars.

You've seen a couple of mine. What have you been up to?
For me, no nice drives like yours Doug. Just pottering around Auckland and 3 days racing around Taupo race track, but no open road drives. Targa Tour and SITT will be my next chance.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Looks nice. I got my Q7 through MAF and compliance in 2 days. The age of the vehicle and how clean it is seem to be the two big factors, so you should be fine.
Agreed - plus you'll be out of the rush!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
For me, no nice drives like yours Doug. Just pottering around Auckland and 3 days racing around Taupo race track, but no open road drives. Targa Tour and SITT will be my next chance.
Today's purchase moves me firmly towards the 996TT as my SITT car. It all now fits. The Z221s should last all four tracks, and I can travel on road tyres for the rest of the 4,500km with all the modern comforts. That means I'll be interested in shipping options for my track tyres.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:32 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

So much to look forward to. Is there a Plan B for you Pete? Is the race car road registered? I can lend you a set of ear muffs. :-P
Speak nicely to Steve and rent one of his...?!

Very very nice. Looks like a Playday car to me....
Never!! (well not before Paul does with the 993.)

Today's purchase moves me firmly towards the 996TT as my SITT car. It all now fits. The Z221s should last all four tracks, and I can travel on road tyres for the rest of the 4,500km with all the modern comforts. That means I'll be interested in shipping options for my track tyres.
NOOOO!!! I know its a sensible choice but the C4 is looking the dogs danglies with the seats, harness etc sorted......
Old 01-07-2014, 02:22 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Thanks for all the messages guys, things are almost back to normal (well, the new normal) and James is packing on the pies.

Looking forward to catching up with you all at the track soonish.
Congratulations Michael, sounded like quite a mission, but plenty of fun times ahead. Enjoy, every moment from now is special as they grow up so fast.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:28 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Car looks stunning Pete - you need to change your avitar to the pic in the transporter..........
Old 01-07-2014, 02:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mate you are changing like the weather! I thought you were selling the 996TT?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:01 AM
Garry D
Instructor

Kiwi 911

I have a 997.2 RS White and Red .

Still working on the picture.

Last edited by Garry D; 07-20-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This will be my 5th personal import and I can vouch for Chris comments above re MAF. If its less than 3 years old its 100% easier. If MAF get involved and require fumigation it adds 2-3 days and some cost. Hoping as first owner of a 4 week old GT3 that's been professionally prepared for export (hoist job, all dirt removed etc) that this will be a little less painful. Chris M - take solace in the fact that of the four cars Ive imported all of them were held up in one way or another. Youll have your wheels soon....
Old 01-07-2014, 03:05 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garry D
Kiwi 911

Garry - feel free to post as many pics as you want! Stunning car that - presume its driven a few laps of Manfield & Taupo in anger??
Old 01-07-2014, 03:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mate you are changing like the weather! I thought you were selling the 996TT?
Haven't you worked it out yet? I'm NATO....no action talk only! The TT will be around for as long as I need a DD to until Donna wants a larger car, in which case we'd pool the GTI and TT proceeds into something

Emotion aside the TT is a logical choice for what is becoming a 4,500km road trip punctuated by 4 track days, it has 420hp, 4WD, PASM, tipo, good air con, good radio, 420 hp, two sets of good tyres, full insurance, air bag.

Looking at the attendee list, old and air cooled will be in the minority and it will be incrementally more expensive to take the C4. I don't have good road tyres for it, a new set of Z221s will be used up in the distance traveled and I'll have to get insurance.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Garry D
Kiwi 911

OK - very cool, like Pete says, you can post more.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?