Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this recent Magnus Walker video about his favourite drives. He has a few within an hour of his home in LA. That's pretty close by USA standards. If read of p-car enthusiasts driving 3 hrs to get to a decent road where they can open it up and enjoy the car and terrain. Even in Auckland we have some good options within an hour... And up here in Northland there's some great driving.

Check this sweet video out http://www.roadsandrides.com/magnuswalker/
Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm fascinated by the LA porsche scene, it might not be what it appears but it would be great to arrive there and know where to go and what to do to take in some events properly. Certainly there is many more of the type of 911's that I'm interested in than there is here, and lots of hotrod versions. Was also for a long time interested in Mulholland drive. Went there in '10 and drove it end to end starting at the Malibu end. Nice track but one of the ****tiest surfaces you could find. Wasn't terrifically exciting in a Chevy or whatever it was. Also did highway 1 up the coast to Monterey, that was pretty good. If I ever got the chance it would be good to do a road trip there in an old 911.
Co-incidentally, i was on a old 911 site and came across the last NZ owner of the LHD Orange Longhood project. I will hook up at some point, he has the original pink slip from CA.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
It's an official P Plates slimline plate. Cost $200. It is an upgrade from the cars original flag plate with standard issue number. I don't know if you can just go and get a slimline plate upgrade from a standard issue normal size plate, you might have to have been previously ripped off by them prior to qualify.
I had german plates on my BMW's for 8 years before a copper relieved me of mine last year. Handed them over on the roadside. Didn't fine me though because I put on my dumb *** act.
A friend with a maserati followed a Maser owner's progress through the courts who had a stick on plate and thought he'd have a crack. Apparently the judge agreed the law was an *** but the law is the law. Grates me big time, rules for the sake of rules then a big self serving infrastructure to manage them.
Thanks Dave (and Doug) for the info.

Yeah Im a big hater of bureaucracy as you know. Infact any form of discipline!

Love your act in giving the copper the plates on the side of the road! I wonder what was the more expensive crime $200 fine for plates that werent issued by Licsyns Ltd cashcow or driving without plates LOL!

As I say Ill take my chances with the 993 a little longer. I doubt I even have the original issue plates any longer.

For the GT3 I have a blue plate IX (German of course!). Thing is if I wanted a "legal" one Id have to go Euro style to make it look proper and cant believe what a ransom those are. I can land a couple of German Euro plates in NZ for $200 or I can pay 4-5x that price to have them made locally....ahemmm thats alotta fines...
Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Its funny but I half expected the copper who pulled us over in the 993 when Paul was driving back form the NITT to slam be for them. Thought it might be a nice entrée to the $200 main course he served up to Paul. It was the most classic ticket issue Ive ever seen. There were 8 words spoken during the whole episode. "Is there any reason you were travelling so fast today sir?". Paul says. "No". Pauls gagging to say something more and Im ribbing him. The car is on Z221 with massive negative camber, the rear cage is littered with bags, helmets and race suit bags, we have a V1 hanging off the window (the only reason Paul got done at 12X kmph vs 15Xkmph!). It was the road from Taupo to RotoVegas and there was no need to guess we had been at the track. It took 7 minutes and we were on our way. Wasnt any blagging that was going to get us out of that ticket. You had to be there, it was the quintessential ticket issue. You have to love Paul. I swear Paul was considering the Daisy Duke Cannonball Run pull over scene in the Lambo when she zips down the pink lycra suit shes wearing expecting the cop to be a guy....glad he didnt attempt that in my car however! No zips allowed in my car ha ha.
Ha ha, awesome, I didn't hear about that one. Obviously what goes on tour only stays on tour for a little while
Old 02-06-2014, 01:11 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the Intel Matt. I did use those plates as DD for 3 years before I left NZ too. I guess Ill continue to live on the edge then...

Its funny but I half expected the copper who pulled us over in the 993 when Paul was driving back form the NITT to slam be for them. Thought it might be a nice entrée to the $200 main course he served up to Paul. It was the most classic ticket issue Ive ever seen. There were 8 words spoken during the whole episode. "Is there any reason you were travelling so fast today sir?". Paul says. "No". Pauls gagging to say something more and Im ribbing him. The car is on Z221 with massive negative camber, the rear cage is littered with bags, helmets and race suit bags, we have a V1 hanging off the window (the only reason Paul got done at 12X kmph vs 15Xkmph!). It was the road from Taupo to RotoVegas and there was no need to guess we had been at the track. It took 7 minutes and we were on our way. Wasnt any blagging that was going to get us out of that ticket. You had to be there, it was the quintessential ticket issue. You have to love Paul. I swear Paul was considering the Daisy Duke Cannonball Run pull over scene in the Lambo when she zips down the pink lycra suit shes wearing expecting the cop to be a guy....glad he didnt attempt that in my car however! No zips allowed in my car ha ha.
Shhhhh Macca - what happens on tour stays on tour.........

Just read this to my wife Macca - she's in hysterics...........

No I don't have the physic for the 'zip manoeuvre' - unless the guy was into man ***** and hairy chests..........Come to think of it the cop did look like Freddy Mercury a bit.

Matt - given that we (Chris, Macca and ourselves) where 'allegedly' traveling between 150-200kph for large sections of the trip from Manfield to Taupo - we where bloody lucky..........

Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Matt - given that we (Chris, Macca and ourselves) where 'allegedly' traveling between 150-200kph for large sections of the trip from Manfield to Taupo - we where bloody lucky.......... .
Was that 10/7ths?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:23 AM
mjg
Pro

Matt - given that we (Chris, Macca and ourselves) where 'allegedly' traveling between 150-200kph for large sections of the trip from Manfield to Taupo - we where bloody lucky..........
I think my speedo reads a bit over with the smaller diameter track wheels on...

Name:  trolley-wheel-used-as-a-spare-wheel.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  57.0 KB

Adjusted for that, I'm sure we were at or under the legal limit at all times.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:24 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Found this recent Magnus Walker video about his favourite drives. He has a few within an hour of his home in LA. That's pretty close by USA standards. If read of p-car enthusiasts driving 3 hrs to get to a decent road where they can open it up and enjoy the car and terrain. Even in Auckland we have some good options within an hour... And up here in Northland there's some great driving.

Check this sweet video out http://www.roadsandrides.com/magnuswalker/
Listening to him tell stories about '277' reminds me of my C3........
Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Shhhhh Macca - what happens on tour stays on tour.........

Just read this to my wife Macca - she's in hysterics...........

No I don't have the physic for the 'zip manoeuvre' - unless the guy was into man ***** and hairy chests..........Come to think of it the cop did look like Freddy Mercury a bit.

Paul you are definitely right. There could have been a far more expensive outcome to the trip on a number of occasions. Sorry I let the cat out of the bag mate, its been a while and you already had the L plate so I figured it was water under the bridge now...

Chris/Matt/Paul. Didn't we have a blast one some of those back roads back from Fielding? That first hours drive was sublime. Right back into Targa territory. Infact I never had as much fun again until a couple of the drives in Europe. That road drive for me was as fun as turning in a good lap first time out at Manfield. Drives like that dont come by too often but your remeber them when they do. Give me 20 minutes of that stuff over hours of 7/10ths LOL!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

God I cant wait for the Targa! The track is fun but the Targa......Mmmmmm!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Was that 10/7ths?
In Matt's GT3.......Yes - that car is fast ..............oooh.......9K rev limiter..............it's a drug.........

Old 02-06-2014, 01:34 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Paul you are definitely right. There could have been a far more expensive outcome to the trip on a number of occasions. Sorry I let the cat out of the bag mate, its been a while and you already had the L plate so I figured it was water under the bridge now... Chris/Matt/Paul. Didn't we have a blast one some of those back roads back from Fielding? That first hours drive was sublime. Right back into Targa territory. Infact I never had as much fun again until a couple of the drives in Europe. That road drive for me was as fun as turning in a good lap first time out at Manfield. Drives like that dont come by too often but your remeber them when they do. Give me 20 minutes of that stuff over hours of 7/10ths LOL!
That run including the gorge running from Fielding until we join SH1 towards Taihape is a lovely drive alright. I wonder if Ron takes us through it on the SITT. Or maybe we'll find some new ones as it may be out of the way for our run.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:45 AM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
I'm fascinated by the LA porsche scene, it might not be what it appears but it would be great to arrive there and know where to go and what to do to take in some events properly. Certainly there is many more of the type of 911's that I'm interested in than there is here, and lots of hotrod versions. Was also for a long time interested in Mulholland drive. Went there in '10 and drove it end to end starting at the Malibu end. Nice track but one of the ****tiest surfaces you could find. Wasn't terrifically exciting in a Chevy or whatever it was. Also did highway 1 up the coast to Monterey, that was pretty good. If I ever got the chance it would be good to do a road trip there in an old 911.
Co-incidentally, i was on a old 911 site and came across the last NZ owner of the LHD Orange Longhood project. I will hook up at some point, he has the original pink slip from CA.
If you're into the LA Porsche scene then you know where you should be on the 28th Feb - 2nd March !!
Check this link out …..especially the Related Events tab ……..items 8-14 !!.

http://www.lalitandtoyshow.com/index.htm

Last edited by 356Downunder; 02-06-2014 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Left out the link.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Matt. You're car revs out to 9000 rpm????

We are lucky. From my experience hunting down the "famous" driving roads close to LA (did Muholland, Back of Malibu and some Canyon runs) we are blessed with better, quieter, more interesting roads within 35 mins of Auckland than they are in LA....

Doug. Its indeed a great little run that. Im sure we will find more on SITT. Ive booked my North Island accommodation now for the rip down, can you tell me where I need to book for the SI leg or is that dependant on route taken?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave. Must have missed your post. Agree on Mulholland. Did it end to end and couldnt believe how broken it was. The rented Stang handled like POS too!! Actually I was generally pretty disappointed by the driving around CA - Old Highway 1 up the coast was the most entertaining but didnt really enjoy it till up near Monterey as you say...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?