Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Since when can you blame grammatical error on poor vision?

Thought that was just part of the Macca charm!
You got me there. Grammar/typo in my posts has been crap for years. The only way Ive been able to knock out almost 5000 of them without impacting my quality of life is because when sh*t comes to shove I can hit 300 key strokes a minute (much to my wife surprise - she still fondly remembers me as a single finger typer!). Difference is to her 500 is that 20% of mine are dud. The eyesight thing makes it even worse to re read a post after typing tho...the 40s eh. What they say is true you young fellas - enjoy it while you can!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. Youll need to check the offset with your boxster wheels. I suspect you wuill have issues with the rear fitment on a 964.

Dave. What is that plate style? Its much better than standard plate but totally different font. People keep telling me the German plates Ive been running on all my cars the last 11 years are illegal in NZ cause of the font. Ive never been had up on them. They are TUV and DIN approved in Europe. Now I see abouit four different "official" fonmts mow available oin NZ so surely there cant be any hard and fast rules about this anymore. Anyway I do like the plate looks nice in monochrome.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:53 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug. Youll need to check the offset with your boxster wheels. I suspect you wuill have issues with the rear fitment on a 964. Dave. What is that plate style? Its much better than standard plate but totally different font. People keep telling me the German plates Ive been running on all my cars the last 11 years are illegal in NZ cause of the font. Ive never been had up on them. They are TUV and DIN approved in Europe. Now I see abouit four different "official" fonmts mow available oin NZ so surely there cant be any hard and fast rules about this anymore. Anyway I do like the plate looks nice in monochrome.
Yes, I checked with Steve R yesterday. They're 911 wheels, 993/996 era I think. All good.

The good thing about the Boxsters being made from 911 parts bins is so much is interchangeable.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:13 PM
mjg
Pro

People keep telling me the German plates Ive been running on all my cars the last 11 years are illegal in NZ cause of the font. Ive never been had up on them. They are TUV and DIN approved in Europe. Now I see abouit four different "official" fonmts mow available oin NZ so surely there cant be any hard and fast rules about this anymore. Anyway I do like the plate looks nice in monochrome.
It's not "because of the font" (although they do have to meet the official requirements, obviously), but more simply that plates must be supplied by NZTA approved manufacturers. Yes, it sucks, because it gives Personalised Plates Ltd a de jure monopoly, but them's the rules.

If you drive around enough, you will get fined eventually. I've heard of plenty of people being fined the $200 for using overseas sourced plates. If you want something different on the cheap (not via PPlates), roll the dice, eat the $200 if you get caught.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:03 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I thought the later cars had the 16" 5 spoke wheels (instead of D90's), but i have not doubt you could buy 17's as an option.

Looking at all my period photo's of 964's, none ever had 17's other than the RS's. Also in the early years the C2 racers (not RS rep racers) used to run 16's - refer pic's of Graham Cameron's car - it had 16 inch 3 piece simmons (now Sean's).
Street cars, no, but that's a different story.

Re: early NZ race cars versus RoW: I've been told that was due to availability of rims and tires not performance. Why wouldn't they emulate the RS or Cup Cars elsewhere? There was a lot of crap going on with mag and tire imports at the time, as I'm sure you know. Those Simmons wheels you reference were re-rimmed to 18s eventually too, weren't the best looking set of wheels.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:03 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by mjg
It's not "because of the font" (although they do have to meet the official requirements, obviously), but more simply that plates must be supplied by NZTA approved manufacturers. Yes, it sucks, because it gives Personalised Plates Ltd a de jure monopoly, but them's the rules. If you drive around enough, you will get fined eventually. I've heard of plenty of people being fined the $200 for using overseas sourced plates. If you want something different on the cheap (not via PPlates), roll the dice, eat the $200 if you get caught.
Dave's plates are the "slimline" upgrade of std govt plate. Instead of being 125mm high they are 100mm with the NZ mark on the left. Personalised Plates rob you of $299 for them but they do look nice. My personalised plates purchased 14 years ago cost $450 from memory. Now they are about $900

Slimline http://www.plates.co.nz/search/?lege...eries=SLIMLINE

Prices http://www.plates.co.nz/prices/

What a great business!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Doug. Youll need to check the offset with your boxster wheels. I suspect you wuill have issues with the rear fitment on a 964.

Dave. What is that plate style? Its much better than standard plate but totally different font. People keep telling me the German plates Ive been running on all my cars the last 11 years are illegal in NZ cause of the font. Ive never been had up on them. They are TUV and DIN approved in Europe. Now I see abouit four different "official" fonmts mow available oin NZ so surely there cant be any hard and fast rules about this anymore. Anyway I do like the plate looks nice in monochrome.
It's an official P Plates slimline plate. Cost $200. It is an upgrade from the cars original flag plate with standard issue number. I don't know if you can just go and get a slimline plate upgrade from a standard issue normal size plate, you might have to have been previously ripped off by them prior to qualify.
I had german plates on my BMW's for 8 years before a copper relieved me of mine last year. Handed them over on the roadside. Didn't fine me though because I put on my dumb *** act.
A friend with a maserati followed a Maser owner's progress through the courts who had a stick on plate and thought he'd have a crack. Apparently the judge agreed the law was an *** but the law is the law. Grates me big time, rules for the sake of rules then a big self serving infrastructure to manage them.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maxem
I don't know if you can just go and get a slimline plate upgrade from a standard issue normal size plate, you might have to have been previously ripped off by them prior to qualify.
Yes you can. Click the link on my post a couple back. They charge you $299. Your upgrade explains your cost of $200. Worth it at those prices despite the gouging. I really want another personalised plate but at $900 I have more useful things to blow the dollars on.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Yes you can. Click the link on my post a couple back. They charge you $299. Your upgrade explains your cost of $200. Worth it at those prices despite the gouging. I really want another personalised plate but at $900 I have more useful things to blow the dollars on.
Euro style normal numbers for me now. I regret getting the personalized plates for the 996TT.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Herman is fixed, as is the Turbo 3.6. I have a real sense of accomplishment removing Herman's alternator, diagnosing the issue, fixing it, then refitting it. I found a few things that needed fixing and if a belt breaks on the SITT I can fix it easily.
Attached Images     
Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

BTW: you think tracking cars is expensive? Try 5 boys at Paintball going through $150 of ***** each session. They were very much rationed by the third session.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Yes, I checked with Steve R yesterday. They're 911 wheels, 993/996 era I think. All good. The good thing about the Boxsters being made from 911 parts bins is so much is interchangeable.
Doug, check the 964 at 0:56.
Scott just fitted these wheels and said they were Boxster ones
Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
It's not "because of the font" (although they do have to meet the official requirements, obviously), but more simply that plates must be supplied by NZTA approved manufacturers. Yes, it sucks, because it gives Personalised Plates Ltd a de jure monopoly, but them's the rules.

If you drive around enough, you will get fined eventually. I've heard of plenty of people being fined the $200 for using overseas sourced plates. If you want something different on the cheap (not via PPlates), roll the dice, eat the $200 if you get caught.
Thanks for the Intel Matt. I did use those plates as DD for 3 years before I left NZ too. I guess Ill continue to live on the edge then...

Its funny but I half expected the copper who pulled us over in the 993 when Paul was driving back form the NITT to slam be for them. Thought it might be a nice entrée to the $200 main course he served up to Paul. It was the most classic ticket issue Ive ever seen. There were 8 words spoken during the whole episode. "Is there any reason you were travelling so fast today sir?". Paul says. "No". Pauls gagging to say something more and Im ribbing him. The car is on Z221 with massive negative camber, the rear cage is littered with bags, helmets and race suit bags, we have a V1 hanging off the window (the only reason Paul got done at 12X kmph vs 15Xkmph!). It was the road from Taupo to RotoVegas and there was no need to guess we had been at the track. It took 7 minutes and we were on our way. Wasnt any blagging that was going to get us out of that ticket. You had to be there, it was the quintessential ticket issue. You have to love Paul. I swear Paul was considering the Daisy Duke Cannonball Run pull over scene in the Lambo when she zips down the pink lycra suit shes wearing expecting the cop to be a guy....glad he didnt attempt that in my car however! No zips allowed in my car ha ha.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Doug, check the 964 at 0:56. Video Link: http://youtu.be/A2uu5kcc26s Scott just fitted these wheels and said they were Boxster ones
Thanks John. Getting cabin fever here at Oakura while the wind, rain and wild seas lash at us.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:03 PM
mjg
Pro

Its funny but I half expected the copper who pulled us over in the 993 when Paul was driving back form the NITT to slam be for them. Thought it might be a nice entrée to the $200 main course he served up to Paul. It was the most classic ticket issue Ive ever seen. There were 8 words spoken during the whole episode. "Is there any reason you were travelling so fast today sir?". Paul says. "No". Pauls gagging to say something more and Im ribbing him. The car is on Z221 with massive negative camber, the rear cage is littered with bags, helmets and race suit bags, we have a V1 hanging off the window (the only reason Paul got done at 12X kmph vs 15Xkmph!). It was the road from Taupo to RotoVegas and there was no need to guess we had been at the track. It took 7 minutes and we were on our way. Wasnt any blagging that was going to get us out of that ticket. You had to be there, it was the quintessential ticket issue. You have to love Paul. I swear Paul was considering the Daisy Duke Cannonball Run pull over scene in the Lambo when she zips down the pink lycra suit shes wearing expecting the cop to be a guy....glad he didnt attempt that in my car however! No zips allowed in my car ha ha.
Haha, I hadn't heard about this incident! He was driving my car like an angel (), you must be a bad influence...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?