Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 04:26 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Yes @ 1:13.3 there's nothing else in RSG going faster. 964s uber alles.
+1!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Chris, did you go for a drive today?
Old 01-25-2014, 05:01 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris, did you go for a drive today?
Yes - but just from Penrose to VTNZ, BP & home - where I spent hours polishing off greasy finger prints and ring scratches from what must have been every corner of every panel. Like it was attacked by a legion of horny dwarves.

My favorite was the two massive, greasy thumb & finger prints on the wing where someone was attempting to open it as though it's the trunk. Gr.

Tomorrow will get some road time.

C
Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

This is likely why my alternator stopped working i.e. one brush very worn. At the very least I need a new regulator/brush to make this work.

Unfortunately that will be the extent of my rebuild. The fan has a crack and a chipped blade. It would be playing roulette to use a gear puller on the fan, which I would need to do to replace rings and bearings. I will likely do what we did in the Airforce i.e. Drill a small hole to stop the crack spreading. Luckily the bearings have no play.
Attached Images    
Old 01-25-2014, 06:22 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is likely why my alternator stopped working i.e. one brush very worn. At the very least I need a new regulator/brush to make this work. Unfortunately that will be the extent of my rebuild. The fan has a crack and a chipped blade. It would be playing roulette to use a gear puller on the fan, which I would need to do to replace rings and bearings. I will likely do what we did in the Airforce i.e. Drill a small hole to stop the crack spreading. Luckily the bearings have no play.
Sounds very sensible. To get a good paint job of that I think your be up for a new fan anyway :-(
Old 01-25-2014, 07:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Sounds very sensible. To get a good paint job of that I think your be up for a new fan anyway :-(
Only about $850 landed
Old 01-25-2014, 07:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes @ 1:13.3 there's nothing else in RSG going faster. 964s uber alles.
Sure there is John. The 991 GT3 even in my inexperienced hands should manage this on street geo + tyres, stereo, aircon fully road registered LOL!

Anyway Im going to stick with my Posse and back Paul up here. The 993s will be sub 1.20s easy from the get go with 221s - I dont think anyone has a road trim 964 doing sub 1.20s now Petes retired...

The $500 was for the ceramic coat housing and the painted fan blades John. Actually I think that was for both painted until I discovered that the housing cant be painted because of the heat and had to have that chemically stripped and etched then ceramic coated. Maybe $700 then.

Some photos of the assembly below....I had the front and rear bearings done and a custom alloy RS single pulley hub put on. I cant recall what that cost all up maybe $8-900 with the RS hub and custom alloy pully, bearings and labour.

The alternator didnt need a rebuild but we removed the dual dissy and did the bearings, belt, caps rotors and all the ignition leads just to make sure its 100% reliable.

John, I think the Magnesium is to brittle to drill. Once cracks appear you need to consider a replacement (used is fine if in good shape). When the bearings fail the fan starts to run the housing and then its a new fan in the future Im afraid (although the old one may work fine for a few more years but will eventually become an issue). Keep an eye out on ebay they turn up for $400 sometimes..
Attached Images     
Old 01-25-2014, 08:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John the more I look at it I think your fan is toast sorry mate....Ill have a look around for a good used one for you - its the same as 993 - can easily be cleaned up and two pac painted like I did then will not be porous and will be easy to clean and make your engine bay look worthy...
Attached Images   
Old 01-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

People wonder where I spent the money....just little jobs like removing the fan, having it painted, the housing, the new ignition leads, the RS hub and custom alloy pulley, rebuilding the dissy (preventative only as its never failed), the alternator bearings (preventative), new plugs, then re doing the housing when the first paint attempt failed an using ceramic-chrome paint the second time etc etc etc This is how you think you'll do an electrical refresh and tidy up the engine bay a little and $3k later you are wondering why you started and just didnt leave it all alone until it played up!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John heres one around $500 NZD and it looks really clean and original (may not even need a paint)....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-993-...aba06b&vxp=mtr
Old 01-25-2014, 09:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Brand new one here for $600 NZD and wont need painting....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-993-...f5604b&vxp=mtr
Old 01-25-2014, 02:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, I don't have the inclination to spend that much tarting up my engine bay. The expat pay packets stopped a year ago and we're back to reality. I've had a good year of frivolous car expense but now the wider family needs are getting attention. The good news is that I managed to save the garage. Extra room will now come from a roof space conversion.

Back to cars, all of the blade hubs are in good condition. The Skyhawks that Tony flew and I helped maintain had plenty of cracks. We just monitored them, which is what I'll do here. Based on what you've written I won't drill.

As for HD laps, I'm sure the 991 GT3 is capable of a fast lap, but we'll need you to post a sub 1:13.3 to take Yoda's top dog spot. Dave and I have been passengers in that car and it is manic. Just like achieving the 1:19.57 Yoda did in my car is going to take time, but I WILL get there this year as will Paul. In fact given he's lapped under that in his C3 he will likely hold the road going air-cooled fastest spot for a while yet. Then we'll be chipping and pulling weight....
Old 01-25-2014, 03:05 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
People wonder where I spent the money....just little jobs like removing the fan, having it painted, the housing, the new ignition leads, the RS hub and custom alloy pulley, rebuilding the dissy (preventative only as its never failed), the alternator bearings (preventative), new plugs, then re doing the housing when the first paint attempt failed an using ceramic-chrome paint the second time etc etc etc This is how you think you'll do an electrical refresh and tidy up the engine bay a little and $3k later you are wondering why you started and just didnt leave it all alone until it played up!
Macca, all that preventative maintenance, and all those new parts = surely your car is up for a few extra k's to join us for the SITT touring legs through Lewis and Arthur's pass? This is a bucket list event like you say. It needn't be fast, that is not the point. I'm happy to cruise and enjoy the amazing scenery and experience. When did you last go through these pieces of beauty in your soal car?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Macca, all that preventative maintenance, and all those new parts = surely your car is up for a few extra k's to join us for the SITT touring legs through Lewis and Arthur's pass? This is a bucket list event like you say. It needn't be fast, that is not the point. I'm happy to cruise and enjoy the amazing scenery and experience. When did you last go through these pieces of beauty in your soal car?
Nice Segway!
Old 01-25-2014, 03:37 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just like achieving the 1:19.57 Yoda did in my car is going to take time, but I WILL get there this year as will Paul. In fact given he's lapped under that in his C3 he will likely hold the road going air-cooled fastest spot for a while yet. .
I only held the fastest air cooled lap for about 10min's. Once Sean got up to speed, I was toast. I think Sean is circulating in mid 16's.

Dave the 'sand bagger' should be circulating in low 18's or high 17's given he has coil overs and 100kg less than than the C4's.

Macca - I never get tired of looking at the detailing on you car mate. The harder you look - the more you can see what you have done.

[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?