Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:17 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
might have to join you for a leg of this, but not the whole shakedown, I'll get some proper measurements from ground to chassis at some point too, as this seems to be the only correct way with differing tyre/wheel combos. alignment doesn't have those stats.
Cool. But you couldn't spare the weekend or don't want to put so many ks on the car? If it's Ks you can ride alongside one of us for Kaitaia-CapeReinga-Kaitaia leg on Saturday.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Finally my shirt has come up on Blipshift
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2014, 01:18 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Possibly four 964s would look the bomb in formation. Need to get Jason out as well. Maybe you guys could travel an hour or two north on the Sunday and travel back with is?
That's a great idea. Meet at Langs beach Sunday for example.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Just in case I'm the only one fired up for March 2nd… Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMG4WtobPC8
Ducktail fest. Love it.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
John, that photo with Herman naked make it look great. How about the SITT with no numbers and carrera graphics to see how you like it. In good design "less is more"
Naked is the way it will do the SITT. I took the number off, looked at the Carrera decal and said no.

Right now I'm going through the trims. Side sills, door seals, then I will give the paintwork a polish. It took seeing Chris' car to realise how rough Herman was.
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2014, 01:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Good point, I hadn't thought of that advantage :-P. Before and after track events I change wheels and pads. Getting quick at it but after a track event when you are tired its a drag. I'm thinking we sell the two SUVs, the Cayenne S and Jans Forrester and replace with one vehicle. Jan loves the Forrester, being a landscape designer she travels a lot around town and loves the visibility and small size. She hates driving my Cayenne.... Too big. I need something that can occasionally tow a just under 2 ton boat on odd occasions. Thinking perhaps the 3 litre diesel BMW X3 for sale in Hastings for $30k with 66k kms on it might do the trick, or something similar. Needs some low down grunt but not thirsty around town. Also, someone mentioned that they had a set of caster things that go under each wheel that they'd be happy to sell. Was it you Matt? I could park the 964 on them and push it sideways across the back of my garage to store it.
We went through a car discussion after the 996TT blew a coolant line. Space is a consideration but more so is use. We ended up deciding to keep the status quo and deal with the friction points e.g. Take two cars if I feel the need to drive (people wonder why we turn up in the GTI and not the 911s). Castors may help you with space. Ultimately your heart tells you what has to go. I know my 964s will be the last to leave the collection.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Very very nice. You are going to be pretty damn competitive as well as looking sick. Keep working on me guys. It is an emotional purchase decision and it's not possible to justify logically except a 964 is a solid investment I tell myself. At the least it won't loose value. Looking forward to seeing it in action later this month.
It is a logical decision. You're a track rat and would enjoy a track focused car that won't have you wondering about engine longevity. No depreciation makes it a money-wise decision as well.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:36 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by gt38088
Quote:

Originally Posted by peterC2S View Post

Another interesting GT3 http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-692786370.htm

That's it. Nice spec car though and I presume it is still located in Napier or Hastings so we can get a first hand report on it??
Havelock North. A nice guy by the name of Terry May owns it.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:40 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Turbo 3.6 has new control arm bushes and shoes. Just waiting its clean now, then the stable goes to 2 working. Alternator coming home tomorrow in time for a Waitangi Day fit (I may need the whole day!). Then it will be three working again.
I was up in Auckland yesterday and stopped in at CCS to steal some centre caps (jokes), noticed your Bad Boy, Pauls 993? and the red 991 GT3. Gee the CCS service guys park cars very close dont they?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:10 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
I was up in Auckland yesterday and stopped in at CCS to steal some centre caps (jokes), noticed your Bad Boy, Pauls 993? and the red 991 GT3. Gee the CCS service guys park cars very close dont they?
They really need to find some expansion for more parking. I guess they're used to it but I'm surprised there aren't more scrapes and door dings.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:14 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's another reason Doug. How the 964 handles after sorting the suspension. Ive had new suspension on the to do list since I first got the 64 and it's taken me this long to decide on what to get and how to get it. After settling on the kwv3s and getting it back from conti's and peter elders world famous alignment today I feel like the car is setup like it should have been from day one. The difference is otherworldly, pin sharp handling. Zero body roll (on the street) yet no crashing or harshness over bumps. The settings are at factory recommendations until I get some further want to tune it harder. Not sure what others have dialled in but the starting point is front rebound: 8/16 front bump 6/12. Rear rebound 6/16. Rear bump 6/12. This should be a mandatory change, even a factory 20+ year recall!
Sam that looks amazing - nice stance - looks especially mean in black! I guess that turns her into keeper status if she wasn't already?!!
Old 02-04-2014, 03:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
YD number plate so likely a Singapore import. Not Paul's, Scott's or Mike's.

Yes, tight in that yard. I'd like to see then find an alternate close location and do classics there. The RSG members seem to be in there every 5 minutes and it's clogging up.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:09 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

a few 'prepared' 996 gt3 on the market now so must be time to buy. silver and white ones on trademe and there was a black one too that had done a few targa's owned by Bob B. Is that still for sale? Could be a good deal to be had now
Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's another reason Doug. How the 964 handles after sorting the suspension. Ive had new suspension on the to do list since I first got the 64 and it's taken me this long to decide on what to get and how to get it. After settling on the kwv3s and getting it back from conti's and peter elders world famous alignment today I feel like the car is setup like it should have been from day one. The difference is otherworldly, pin sharp handling. Zero body roll (on the street) yet no crashing or harshness over bumps. The settings are at factory recommendations until I get some further want to tune it harder. Not sure what others have dialled in but the starting point is front rebound: 8/16 front bump 6/12. Rear rebound 6/16. Rear bump 6/12. This should be a mandatory change, even a factory 20+ year recall! The goodies fresh from the UK in all their gaudy goodness
Simply awesome! The 964 stable keeps getting stronger... !
Old 02-04-2014, 05:30 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Been dealing with Herman's shark fin tonight. To any other 964 owners, the fin is detached by undoing the two screws under the fin and then undoing the two bolts in the wheel well. You DON'T pull the fin off its clips. Otherwise they go loose and eventually fail. Non 964 owners do not know how hard it is to get one looking like this after some gorilla has been in there before. As for potential 964 ownership, I think you are heading in the absolutely right direction with Dave's car. You can pat the Boxster goodbye and join Herman and I on the epic Tour, safe in the knowledge the 964 is built like a tank and that car has been sorted. Many of is with suspect suspensions would love to start with everything sorted for cents on the dollar.
John - thanks for the tip! I have the new rubber gaskets to replace there.

Doug - feel the force ....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?