Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:38 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Chris/Doug/John/. Ive had a full review of the RSG board SITT thread. Its a bit confusing but I think I understand that there are a number of people taking different routes but we are all meeting up in Queenstown.

For simplicity Ive decided Joanna and I will travel with Ron's group for the trip South. The daily mileages are more manageable (4-5 hrs a day) and I know Rons speeds and pace/lead car style very well - being the slowest car in the pose by 200 bhp means I'll have to sometimes "sing for my supper" and my 993 loves to sing LOL!

Most of all its just easier for us (we already have a month long trip to NZ leaving business and property to organise this end which is stressful enough), and I am lazy. Ive booked some nice accommodation with a spa bath etc to help Jo's back to recover each day. We always sleep well after chasing Ron.

Hopefully we can get the full air cooled group together form the run from Fanz Joseph open the home stretch to Queenstown.
Macca - we have you booked in with us at Franz Joseph (1 night) QT (5 nights) Hermitage (1 night) and Chch (2 nights) - that takes us to checkout in Chch on the Friday.

Let me know if you want me to cancel anything on there (eg. Franz Joseph).
Old 02-06-2014, 08:38 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
must be that old equation stripe=fast. Chris if you get to Monterey and need some p car insporation check out mohr imports.

there's also some barn finds across the road.
Nice, I have some free time in Monterey so will check it out, thanks!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Macca - we have you booked in with us at Franz Joseph (1 night) QT (5 nights) Hermitage (1 night) and Chch (2 nights) - that takes us to checkout in Chch on the Friday.

Let me know if you want me to cancel anything on there (eg. Franz Joseph).
Thanks Pete. Sounds perfect...
Old 02-06-2014, 09:37 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Dinner at Saffron in Arrowtown? I've heard you need to book well advance so, if we are up for it, we should book in nowish. http://www.saffronrestaurant.co.nz/menu.html Entres $16-20 Mains $36-40 Sides $8.50 Deserts $16 And if you're still hungry or on a budget there's Ferg Burger in Queenstown - world famous burger and chips for $20
If you decide to go to Saffron let me know and I'll make sure they look after you Is a P-Car friendly establishment.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks Pete. Sounds perfect...
Macca, Ron's group are NOT staying in Franz Joseph and you need to cancel that accom if you are touring with them, here are the details for you
Date. Ron group. Our group
Tues 18. Punakaikai Hamner Springs
Weds 19. Wanaka. Franz Joseph. < recommend you bail from Ron's group and join us here???
Thurs 20. Invercargill. Queenstown.

Punakaikai to Franz Joseph = 217k, 2h42
Punakaikai to Wanaka = 502k, 6h
Franz Joseph to Queenstown = 350k, 4h20m
Wanaka to Queenstown, only 1 hour.

Edit: Sorry the spreadsheet wasn't accurate for Ron's group. I've fixed that now :-) That Punakaikai to Wanaka run might be tough for Jo, then Wanaka to Queenstown is only one hour, hence the suggestion you stop at Franz Joseph and join us.

Last edited by O2GO; 02-06-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Doug. Appreciate the input. I actually PM'd Pete the same only moments after my post above and came to a similar conclusion. I think we will just do the Greymouth Franz Joseph part on the second SI day and spend some time doing a bit of sight seeing there before catching up with you all in the evening for dinner. Next day we can all head to QT in convoy. Keeps the driving hours down to 5 hours or less for the trip and gives Jo a bit of recovery time in Franz Joseph (Ive never been so may do a bit of exploring)....
Old 02-06-2014, 11:38 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks Doug. Appreciate the input. I actually PM'd Pete the same only moments after my post above and came to a similar conclusion. I think we will just do the Greymouth Franz Joseph part on the second SI day and spend some time doing a bit of sight seeing there before catching up with you all in the evening for dinner. Next day we can all head to QT in convoy. Keeps the driving hours down to 5 hours or less for the trip and gives Jo a bit of recovery time in Franz Joseph (Ive never been so may do a bit of exploring)....
Cool. You can walk up to a viewing point near the glacier. From memory when we did it a couple of years ago it was like 45 minutes walk each way.... Ok if walking help the back I guess. There are also a fair few helicopter operators taking tourists up to view/land on the glacier which would be pretty cool. A oncer.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:49 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Cape Reinga Run Confirmation.

We have confirmation from the following and I've organised accommodation for them today:
John, Doug, Chris M, Michael, Mark P, Pel (Kaitaia only)

The following have expressed interest, are you able to confirm now across on the RSG thread for the trip as we are going to be short of accommodation if we don't book you in soon,

Matt G, Paul M, Jake, Peter H (depends on compliance?)

For the Sunday run, I've lost track a little, but it doesn't matter as there's no accommodation needed. We're setting up a separate thread on RSG for this. So far I have:
Sam
Old 02-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great idea Doug.

Last time I saw a glacier was 20 years ago in the Himalayas and I was walking over it with no crampons or rope!

Friggin crazy nepalese guides. Luckily I had a combination of Gardia and altitude sickness at the time otherwise I would have made a complaint. All I could do was burp and fart and the whole thing has a hazy Lion Witch and Wardrobe feel too it as the fog was thick and all we could hear was the trickling of the water underneath the glacier and the warning in our heads that if we slid down and into a fissure once we hit the water below we would have around 30 second to get out, strip off our clothes and get in a sleeping bag with someone or else die of hypothermia. I was hunting a pretty blonde yank chick that was part of our group at the time and I quite fancied the idea of having her warm me up. Glad I didn't try that as a pick up act tho. As it turned out later it wouldnt have been worth the risk...

Anyway - yes we will go and walk to the glacier and I will tell Jo the story (without the bit about the lass). Ahhhh.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Cool. You can walk up to a viewing point near the glacier. From memory when we did it a couple of years ago it was like 45 minutes walk each way.... Ok if walking help the back I guess. There are also a fair few helicopter operators taking tourists up to view/land on the glacier which would be pretty cool. A oncer.
I was last there in 1973. It's probably changed since then
Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

You gotta love them Yanks. This is GMCs workshop. The owner has just bought a 991 GT3 designed a race header/200 cell cat system for it and a centre muffler delete like the one I have purchased. BHP = 500. Look at that workshop and craftsmanship!
Attached Images     
Old 02-07-2014, 01:31 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
I was last there in 1973. It's probably changed since then
Yes, a LOT smaller
Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, a LOT smaller
I bet the walk didn't used to be 45 mins! I think it was about 30? in 07 when I went. Taking a chopper tour to drop you up top with cramp-ons is worth the experience if you're not going to get back to it again! You can also book a heli-ski which is on my list.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Ensuite bathroom shower base has leaked and required a complete gutting and new everything. The woman at the bathroom place seemed amazed that an expensive shower didn't faze me. Evidence that the cost of this hobby is not normal and it's time to button off after the coming mods.

While I wait for things to arrive I've been trying to sort Herman's trim etc. This is as good as it gets. I'm waving the white flag, Chris.
Attached Images     
Old 02-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yip. You'll change your mind again soon John LOL!

Mate that interior still needs some decent RS door cards. A rear RS carpet set like Chris is doing would set if off nicely....neither mod is expensive.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?