Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:47 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
As some will know that's my car. As I'm based in Napier I haven't experienced it first hand yet, however Tony from CCS got it warmed up this evening and then called me and played the "music" through the phone.

Apparently it will set off car alarms in cars that don't even have an alarm!

My old GT3 had a noisy exhaust and in Taupo I was told it was too loud to go on track. It would seem the CGT to will most likely break all the rules.

Can't wait to get it back to Napier. Next week it gets wrapped a gloss black.
What exhaust are you putting on there, or just going straight through? It will be interesting to see how the wrap goes, I'm thinking of doing something similar soon (not on nearly as nice a car though!).

I think you need to tell us all when you will be starting it up at CCS so we can come see!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
I think you need to tell us all when you will be starting it up at CCS so we can come see!
Agreed! I would love to hear it in action.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:39 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exhaust are you putting on there, or just going straight through? It will be interesting to see how the wrap goes, I'm thinking of doing something similar soon (not on nearly as nice a car though!).

I could be wrong but I think you will find that it will be transported down here to Napier for Matt to play with. Win for me, not good for you Aucklanders
Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
I could be wrong but I think you will find that it will be transported down here to Napier for Matt to play with. Win for me, not good for you Aucklanders
Boo! Way pay for it to be transported down when I would pay to drive it down for you Matt?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:04 PM
993 Targa
Racer

On a non-CGT grovelling note, I'd like some advice from the keen trackdayers/racers here.

I am planning on buying a trackday car that I can move into racing with and have narrowed it to 3 options (I think, I always change my mind)

1. E36 320i BMW, start it out in 2k Cup before building everything up to be ready for the BMW Open 2L class. Upside here is that it's cheap to begin with and eligible for a cheap series, the 2k Cup. Downside is once it's a 2L class car it will be a more expensive series and have cost me a bit and still be pretty slow really.

2. E36 M3, skip the 2k Cup, go for track days building it up for BMW Open. Upside here is it will be a much quicker car and better base package, downside is I'm competing against the big boys with the big budgets then.

3. 944. I really do like my Porsche's and the race series would be quite fun to enter. Upside is the base package is quick and I'd be competing alongside GTRNZ which I can convince a friend to enter. Downside is once again budgets are a fair bit higher and I'm not sure about 944 parts availability versus the world of choices for E36s. Also I can only seem to find left hand drive S2s for sale and I'm not sure how good that would be for occasional road use and even on the track since I'm not used to it.

Obviously the cheapest option is to buy someone's pre-built race car (this one any good? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=695313020) but first;y I'm earning the money as I'd spend it and secondly I think I would enjoy building up a car as much as I would racing it.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

On a non-CGT grovelling note, I'd like some advice from the keen trackdayers/racers here.

I am planning on buying a trackday car that I can move into racing with and have narrowed it to 3 options (I think, I always change my mind)

1. E36 320i BMW, start it out in 2k Cup before building everything up to be ready for the BMW Open 2L class. Upside here is that it's cheap to begin with and eligible for a cheap series, the 2k Cup. Downside is once it's a 2L class car it will be a more expensive series and have cost me a bit and still be pretty slow really.

2. E36 M3, skip the 2k Cup, go for track days building it up for BMW Open. Upside here is it will be a much quicker car and better base package, downside is I'm competing against the big boys with the big budgets then.

3. 944. I really do like my Porsche's and the race series would be quite fun to enter. Upside is the base package is quick and I'd be competing alongside GTRNZ which I can convince a friend to enter. Downside is once again budgets are a fair bit higher and I'm not sure about 944 parts availability versus the world of choices for E36s. Also I can only seem to find left hand drive S2s for sale and I'm not sure how good that would be for occasional road use and even on the track since I'm not used to it.

Obviously the cheapest option is to buy someone's pre-built race car (this one any good? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=695313020) but first;y I'm earning the money as I'd spend it and secondly I think I would enjoy building up a car as much as I would racing it.
Mate - what do you expect us to say here. We are all Pcar fans and if you have read the 700-od pages, we all acknowledge the value a 944 offers (only Macca Pooh-Pooh's, but he can afford to track a 911 ).

Yes that car is good, but you will need to do work to get it road registered.

Pete managed to find a road reg RHD 944, but they are hard to find. You may need to build one up.

Steve at Europacific has a RHD 968 that is road registered. He is in the process of doing it up and you could probably pick your new colour if you where quick. White or 986 CS yellow would be my picks.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 03-04-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:48 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

With the weather like this, I won't be doing the Uncles tonight Phil.

Like Macca - just discovered 221's are not suitable for road use. After only 1 track day and less than 1,000km's I am having to replace 1 that has a screw stuck in it.........!

So will be going back to road tires after SITT..........

Just thinking about it Doug and John, as we run the same size tires I could be wise to take a spare set that we could all share should something go wrong??
Old 03-04-2014, 07:52 PM
mjg
Pro

I've had a screw stuck in a set of Pilot Super Sports.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:54 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
I've had a screw stuck in a set of Pilot Super Sports.
Did you keep tracking it??
Old 03-04-2014, 08:04 PM
mjg
Pro

I did, but it'd depend on the nature of the damage and repair for any given case. I'd only consider tracking a tyre with a proper repair done from the inside, not a plug pushed in from the outside.

Point is that a screw can penetrate any tyre. There's a lot of luck involved. I think the case against using Z221s on the road has been somewhat overstated at this point. They wouldn't be road legal otherwise. They're much closer to a road tyre than anything else. Very, very different from a true racing tyre (aka bias ply slick).
Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
With the weather like this, I won't be doing the Uncles tonight Phil. Like Macca - just discovered 221's are not suitable for road use. After only 1 track day and less than 1,000km's I am having to replace 1 that has a screw stuck in it.........! So will be going back to road tires after SITT.......... Just thinking about it Doug and John, as we run the same size tires I could be wise to take a spare set that we could all share should something go wrong??
I'm changing my mind every five minutes on this topic.

I have just found that a bare tyre fits in my frunk, but not a fitted wheel. This and the difficulty (expense) of freighting wheels to QT has me wondering what the point is in taking a set of spare tyres. Based on comments re track tyres on the road I'm coming to the conclusion that I will run road tyres the whole way.

What did you have in mind,spare road tyres or
Z221s? BTW I do have used spare z221s under the house.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
I did, but it'd depend on the nature of the damage and repair for any given case. I'd only consider tracking a tyre with a proper repair done from the inside, not a plug pushed in from the outside.

Point is that a screw can penetrate any tyre. There's a lot of luck involved. I think the case against using Z221s on the road has been somewhat overstated at this point. They wouldn't be road legal otherwise. They're much closer to a road tyre than anything else. Very, very different from a true racing tyre (aka bias ply slick).
Paul. I feel for you. My little episode cost $500 for a new tyre Id dint need! I do agree with Matt, its probably just unlucky. That said on talking with Pete it seems that the physics we exert on these when they are warm and gooey on track is more likely to make a small hole like I had turn into a larger tear. On the road I doubt it would be as much of an issue....
Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Tyre condition. I discarded one rear and one front (both lefts), putting the keepers under my house.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2014, 08:29 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm changing my mind every five minutes on this topic.

I have just found that a bare tyre fits in my frunk, but not a fitted wheel. This and the difficulty (expense) of freighting wheels to QT has me wondering what the point is in taking a set of spare tyres. Based on comments re track tyres on the road I'm coming to the conclusion that I will run road tyres the whole way.

What did you have in mind,spare road tyres or
Z221s? BTW I do have used spare z221s under the house.
I am doing far fewer touring miles than you as my car gets shipped to Chch, so I was just planning to run on 221's, as road tires suck on the track and I don't want to go that far to have a car that's squealing around corners.I also think track tires are safer on the track than road tires.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:35 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Tyre condition. I discarded one rear and one front (both lefts), putting the keepers under my house.
I need to raid your house for parts..........

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?