Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah. I think you are right. Cliive (Barney) imports from Japan so Id say he bought it there. Makes sense as I understood Halford still had his red car hadnt hear clive bought it. Being away 8 years means less on the pulse these days....
Old 11-16-2013, 04:45 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-14729469&Cr=0

I'd rather have this one............

Being Aussie new, easy market to sell back into.

Probably works out at $300K too once GST and $AUD's paid.

The interesting thing for me is the old cars steal the show. The green 911E at Conti's, RED 993 RS and ivory early 911 are the one's my eye was drawn to most. I can see why the early, smaller cars are climbing, they just stir the emotions in a way the newer stuff can't.

I was in ChCh on Wednesday, there are a couple of long hoods for sale for $120K (RSR over 2.4 E shell with 964 donk, and maybe RHD 2.4E). I saw a LHD 2.2 T that looked like a barn find with original paint falling off in areas, paid $20K AUD, an amazing patina.

I think you guys are too harsh on Giltraps. I've had an opposite experience, where they lent me a technical factory manual for my car, never met me before and I didn't even leave a phone number. I also find them excellent to deal with when serving my Audi. I pay the premium as they do an amazing job of cleaning the car............

Personally - everyone is entitled to their opinions (and I certainly have a few), but I don't think this should be a 'bagging forum', we are above this.............

Last edited by kiwi 911; 11-17-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. You are right this isnt the place for bagging. That said I believe NZ service industry standards are woeful compared to many other G20 countries Ive traveled and done business and this I believe is partly contributed to Kiwis habit of "keeping it to themselves". Im quite upfront about where Ive had good service and value and where I havent and if that helps some companies get their sh*t together then great. That said Im obviously biased towards CCS having had exceptional service from them over the years. Maybe Ive just got lucky with them and unlucky with Ivan/Giltraps....

On to more exciting things. Heres my new brake upgrade. Anyone wanting a 50% lifed 993 standard red brake set up let me know. Pistons were rebuilt 20K km ago when painted red and discs/pads have all specs as measure by Dean two weeks ago (roughly 50% meat left on discs/pads so plenty of service life for the roads). $1600 the full set, pads, calipers, discs, spider plates, sensors. I may have a brand new set of front and rear factory OEM brake pads for 993 imported two weeks ago and can be purchased for my landed cost $500 including post to you. Ill know about those shortly but worthwhile saving here for someone.
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2013, 06:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
John - you're right. Be good to recruit a few more to the RSG cause.
IMHO Playday overestimated the interest in attendance and overplayed their hand with proposed changes, which never happened due to driver backlash. It reinforces the point that this is a discretionary activity, and an expensive one at that. Get people offside and they just go somewhere else.

I see our group filling a gap between the PCNZ driver training and basic forms of racing. Anyone joining us last December, like I did, would have seen a wide range of cars, skills and times. There was a feeling that everyone belonged even if they were at different parts of the journey.

Looking at this December's Playday a newcomer with a street equipped 964 or 944 would see a focused group talking tyres, brakes, suspension settings and likely be lapping 8/9 seconds slower than the next slowest car. They could easily become discouraged, if not a determined type of person.

I think we need to look at the starter types. The ones unsatisfied by one driver training per year. It appears to be an area PCNZ has no interest in filling. Can we work with them more? Then the question is what we offer them? I really appreciate the tows and advice given to date but you could unlikely do that with 3 or 4 newbies at each session.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:56 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since doing the rounds of CCS and Giltraps and seeing all those lovely old cars I've been getting all dewey eyed and longing for an oldie. I guess one day it will have to happen. This pic from dedeporsches blog on Facebook does it for me
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good email John. You make some great points. We do need to attract some more of the virgins. You may have to hide Matt with his new race seats and Hans device for fear of scaring them away LOL! I can see now the "flash to pass" rule may have appeared a bit intimidating to a newbie. I think we are in a pretty good space right now but we will loose a few next year to racing or boredom so probably need to think about that. I see a marriage with PCNZ being a tricky one. Its come along really well since the beginning. I think with SITT, NITT, May Targa Bambina, Oct Targa NZ next year we have a nice mix of tarmac rally and track. I think regular Playday HD dates will be no more often than once a month but with the other events planned we have lots of concentrated exposure to road and track which is great. 2015 will be interesting. Got to get there first....
Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

They look good Doug.

Heres another perspective. I had one for a 24hr test drive in 2001. Was going to add one to the stable. Realised real quick that I couldnt live with it. looks lovely, gearbox was G15 and wouldn't shift properly till warm, windows wouldnt defrost (it was winter), hard to catch on cold crank, smelt a bit damp inside, door cards sagging. Hey iyt looked lovely parked in the garage (you couldnt see the rust eating the kidney bowls out form the inside or the sills) but for me it just want right. I think for others who have the patience for these things then great. I want it to start and drive....
Old 11-16-2013, 08:13 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

John - don't forget a core part of RSG is the social side. Just hanging out at the track (and on tour) with guys (& girls) who enjoy Porsche. Drink and a BBQ after. Anybody who is interested should feel free to get in touch, come along for a day & see if it fits.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mechanics - we have a range of speeds as it is. Safe driving and learning something each time is what its all about. Enjoying our cars as they were meant to be. How far individuals want to take it is up to them but its good there are other outlets for racing, sprints or trials.

Anybody who is lurking and has an interest in the occasional trackday should get in touch. I've just got the next selection of dates for Jan-Mar- will post up over at RSG.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good points Pete. Especially the one about chicks. When will be get our first female Porsche driver do you think? (leaving the door open a bit here I guess LOL).
Old 11-16-2013, 08:24 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Good points Pete. Especially the one about chicks. When will be get our first female Porsche driver do you think? (leaving the door open a bit here I guess LOL).
Patsy's not going to be happy with you Macca....
Old 11-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Patsy's not going to be happy with you Macca....
That wasn't what I was expecting. I thought we would use it as a chance to tease Paul LOL! In my defense Patsy drives a Nissan.....
Old 11-16-2013, 08:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Might need a wide door for this one
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2013, 08:35 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Might need a wide door for this one
Mate you volunteered that?!!! Oh well get it out in the open I say - we won't judge!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Mate you volunteered that?!!! Oh well get it out in the open I say - we won't judge!
It was already out there. Got roped into a fancy dress quiz night yesterday. Couldn't be arsed hiring a costume so I went as Swedish Stig.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:42 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
It was already out there. Got roped into a fancy dress quiz night yesterday. Couldn't be arsed hiring a costume so I went as Swedish Stig.
Could've worn a helmet to preserve your dignity...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?