Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:15 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
You can buy one of these that is VAT qualifying, basically new, from the UK for GBP65k, so landed for NZ$120 - $130k, http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p
Chris, I am not clear on pricing when they quote vat qualifying and a price but are you assuming that the vat is still deducted from the price quoted? and anyone know if this is correct?
Might be that this is the net price they are asking already??
Old 01-11-2015, 01:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Happy New year Guys.. back from boating and need to give the poor wee Pcar an outing. Doug..did not catch up at Oakura sorry as had 'mechanical misadventure' and had to take the old girl to Marsden Cove..she is still there while I try and source parts from UK.. popped back to Ak and picked up the back u craftp and hit the Gt Barrier, missing Jason somehow, but I did look.!.. All the earlier posts re traffic police etc..try boating..a mate of mine got pinged for having 1 snapper (only one they caught) which was 4mm too small..thats human error stuff..taken away, photographed and threatened..and the a'wipes were also giving out $200 fines to various who were in their dinghys without a PFD either in the dinghy or worn.. Bureaucracy gone ape**** .. John, 1..maybe 2 for BBQ next Sat..
Got that.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:37 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Chris, I am not clear on pricing when they quote vat qualifying and a price but are you assuming that the vat is still deducted from the price quoted? and anyone know if this is correct? Might be that this is the net price they are asking already??
I looked at this a while back - if the vehicle is VAT qualifying (still owned by a VAT registered entity such as a dealer or business) then you can deduct most of the VAT (some of it gets eroded by fees). Basically it works out that the VAT reclaim offsets the GST payable incoming to NZ. So budget for the cost of car plus shipping and insurance.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:41 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by gt38088
Chris, I am not clear on pricing when they quote vat qualifying and a price but are you assuming that the vat is still deducted from the price quoted? and anyone know if this is correct?
Might be that this is the net price they are asking already??
I bought my Audi Q7 from the UK and it was advertised this way. The price quoted is the full amount and you can claim back 20%. You then have brokerage (I got a company in the UK to buy mine so I only paid the discounted amount and paid them approximately a NZ$1,000 fee), shipping, insurance, compliance and GST to pay, but on a more expensive car that would be more than covered by the VAT refund.

Here's another one with pdk. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...0VAT?logcode=p
Old 01-11-2015, 01:45 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I looked at this a while back - if the vehicle is VAT qualifying (still owned by a VAT registered entity such as a dealer or business) then you can deduct most of the VAT (some of it gets eroded by fees). Basically it works out that the VAT reclaim offsets the GST payable incoming to NZ. So budget for the cost of car plus shipping and insurance.
Correct, although for me the vat refund covered everything, the shipping etc. remains the same, so the more expensive the car the further the vat refund goes. I used a company called McCullochs who purchased the car for me and then handled every movement from the UK dealer to compliance in NZ, I even got the insurance through them so I had one throat to choke. The big thing for me was being able to pay the amount less vat up front so I never had a refund to deal with.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:48 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I can't believe I'm saying this - but..........I'd hold out for PDK........

A reasonable discount over a kiwi car, basically pays for a month in Europe to find one and do some sight seeing.

Macca - it would be an interesting exercise if you could price a reasonably spec'ed one through your broker to see what the landed cost would be?

P.s - thanks Chris for letting me use your car today and sorry for breaking it. I enjoyed the chat in the car on the way home.........
Paul, great to catchup. The 996tt did seem to get hit by the Paul factor, the cup/plate must be yours for life! Seriously though, you couldn't do anything worse to it than I would have and it doesn't sound like anything major.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:12 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts
Default GTS

Nice write up in the Herald on the Cayman GTS http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/n...ectid=11383703 I can see the attraction. Besides all the options available, the billboard on the rear of the car would have to go!

S
Old 01-11-2015, 02:37 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by PHG
Happy New year Guys.. back from boating and need to give the poor wee Pcar an outing. Doug..did not catch up at Oakura sorry as had 'mechanical misadventure' and had to take the old girl to Marsden Cove..she is still there while I try and source parts from UK.. popped back to Ak and picked up the back u craftp and hit the Gt Barrier, missing Jason somehow, but I did look.!.. All the earlier posts re traffic police etc..try boating..a mate of mine got pinged for having 1 snapper (only one they caught) which was 4mm too small..thats human error stuff..taken away, photographed and threatened..and the a'wipes were also giving out $200 fines to various who were in their dinghys without a PFD either in the dinghy or worn.. Bureaucracy gone ape**** .. John, 1..maybe 2 for BBQ next Sat..
Sorry to miss you too Phil.

Pinging people in dingies going from their gin palace to the shore? That is crap. The only real risk is a wave over the side as you land with the biggest risk being a heart attack from laughter. And most are unsinkable inflatables too.

Need a porsche fix and to check out your boat at Marsden cove? Have I the route for you :-P. Come further to Oakura and let me share a drive on some of the nicest twisties you'll find anywhere :-)
Old 01-11-2015, 02:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

I'm definitely warming to the idea of a Cayman. The size might be an issue for me with helmet, but otherwise they appear to be in the sweet spot for performance, handling and cost. Still mulling over the Cayman R on Trademe. It looks like a good example, but has been on the market for a while, suggesting the price needs negotiating to avoid taking a bath. Figuring on a $60,000 value in three years time, it's time to get my head around depreciation as opposed to maintenance.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:49 PM
mrphil
Intermediate

Originally Posted by O2GO
Ez-demo to me equals repeatedly thrashed while cold. I've been surprised how sales people redline them around the block when the engines' only been running 60 seconds. Agree with Paul. With that mileage it is second hand.
That's my concern too and to have that many km on it I'm sure it would have been mistreated when cold

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Honestly - buy the Cayman GTS demo car in polar silver. I think it is in the SI at the moment.

I drove this car in December and it is the best Pcar I have ever driven.

It will be more than $140K, from memory they are $166K new too - but.......... holy-moly - if you drove it, you couldn't own a standard Cayman S knowing you could of had this instead (admittedly for a few dollars more than the demo car)..........
The gts would be nice but the wife would of been happy with the base cayman, I talked her into the S I doubt I would get her into a gts
Old 01-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm definitely warming to the idea of a Cayman. The size might be an issue for me with helmet, but otherwise they appear to be in the sweet spot for performance, handling and cost. Still mulling over the Cayman R on Trademe. It looks like a good example, but has been on the market for a while, suggesting the price needs negotiating to avoid taking a bath. Figuring on a $60,000 value in three years time, it's time to get my head around depreciation as opposed to maintenance.
I found it's easy. They are about the same it depreciation doesn't mean the car is sidelined for weeks awaiting parts from offshore always at the least convenient time.

By way of comparison the total amount ive spent on the gT3 in 9000 km and now 13 months of ownership including tonnes of fast driving and a few track days is currently zero (tyres will need replacing in 2-3000 km maybe - they are dot rated after all!). In comparison over the same period I and typical use I would spend 4000 in non service related repairs (aircon, drive shafts, wheel bearings, a faulty this and that).
Old 01-11-2015, 03:35 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

At 180-185k on similar spec the UK gts looks pretty good then doesn't it?
Also indicates NZ pricing on gt4 will be well into the 200s say 220k?
Old 01-11-2015, 03:54 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Paul, great to catchup. The 996tt did seem to get hit by the Paul factor, the cup/plate must be yours for life! Seriously though, you couldn't do anything worse to it than I would have and it doesn't sound like anything major.
Cheers Mate - I do like my Macca Cup.

I haven't won any trophies since school, so the cabinet is bare and I won't hand it over without a fight...........
Old 01-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul. Macca Cup is more prestigious than fourth from spelling comp mate :-)

We should have called it the Darwin Cup I reckon. I still remember wetting myself when the marshalls at levels came over to us and asked if it was yours and said it had fallen out of the trunk during the inspection and you had run over it. I seriously got close to re colouring my overalls. You got lifetime award for making it a plate mate!

CCS have a brand new identical Porsche cup in their Exclusive Accessories cabinet if you would like to buy a new one and have it engraved and start fresh again....

John, I should think you will have no problem fitting in the Cayman with a helmet although I have never tried. these new cars seem to have been built for homo sapien not homo habilis...finally!

Graeme. I did some price work on the GT4 and posted here a few pages back and yes its looking like 220k NZ retail. There is still nothing definitive on spec or price so we are in the dark.

I believe the 991 GT3RS spec should be announced overnight so maybe we will learn more about the GT4 too or perhaps it will remain quiet until Geneva (assumes it launches there).
Old 01-11-2015, 04:19 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Happy New year Guys..
back from boating and need to give the poor wee Pcar an outing.
Doug..did not catch up at Oakura sorry as had 'mechanical misadventure' and had to take the old girl to Marsden Cove..she is still there while I try and source parts from UK.. popped back to Ak and picked up the back u craftp and hit the Gt Barrier, missing Jason somehow, but I did look.!..
All the earlier posts re traffic police etc..try boating..a mate of mine got pinged for having 1 snapper (only one they caught) which was 4mm too small..thats human error stuff..taken away, photographed and threatened..and the a'wipes were also giving out $200 fines to various who were in their dinghys without a PFD either in the dinghy or worn.. Bureaucracy gone ape**** ..
John, 1..maybe 2 for BBQ next Sat..
Phil, what parts are you after? I may have something. Sorry to hear about the fish inquisition. No consolation that when the bigger ones do come along, our esteemed government has seen fit to lower the bag limit too. I was recently invited out on a charter boat (early December) and 18 rods fished all day for exactly one snapper between them. No other species caught either. That one was sashimi at lunch time so no fish were brought back at all. The previous year, same boat, three of us were filleting all the way back to the wharf. Fishing is pretty much a fixed input, variable return exercise. If our esteemed masters are dropping the cap on the returns, they should be underwriting the losses too. I'd feel better about the reduced catch limits (the old ones seldom got hit anyway but who wants to go home early that one perfect trip) the day the government starts compensating us for fishless days. Wouldn't it be nice if they pulled up alongside, searched the boat and gave everyone a hundie because we were heading back empty?

I do hope they weren't pinging people in tenders, though I guess not everyone can swim so there's always the 1 adult with 4 kids going under scenario.

I see the weather is looking good for the track day too. Enjoy it you guys.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?