Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 02:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I will be limited to concourses and Sunday drives around the Bays with JMc............
There's no rule limiting you to one Porker!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:18 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
Ive never done any trackwork or "spirited driving" on back roads but am pretty keen to do Targa Tour 2014 (the other half will take some convincing), just wondering weather the 964 is up to it and weather I want to put it through that. Im off to a wedding in the Coromandel this weekend and if the weathers good will take the 964, may try and stop in at HD on my way home and see what the fuss is about.
I'm in the same boat around track work; always something I've wanted to try but worried about the financial impact it would have long term, in that I'll become addicted and I wouldn't be able to sustain it. Need to do at least one or two next year, but think a driver training day is a good start.

I drove from Auckland to Wellington and back with the intention of getting a feel for my car. Worked wonders. I can't say I have the restraint to stay away from spirited driving however. On returning from Wellington my partner suggested I must be tired and feel like it was a long trip, but to be honest I felt I could have just kept on driving!
Old 11-19-2013, 04:13 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
I'm in the same boat around track work; always something I've wanted to try but worried about the financial impact it would have long term, in that I'll become addicted and I wouldn't be able to sustain it. Need to do at least one or two next year, but think a driver training day is a good start. I drove from Auckland to Wellington and back with the intention of getting a feel for my car. Worked wonders. I can't say I have the restraint to stay away from spirited driving however. On returning from Wellington my partner suggested I must be tired and feel like it was a long trip, but to be honest I felt I could have just kept on driving!
My approach might have been a little different than the others. I'm into my second boxster, a 2007 987.1 Boxster S with only 75k and one careful owner (prior to me) which cost me just under $50k. I've invested in a set of track wheels ~$3k, racing brake fluid and both Pagid sports brake pads and Porsche ones for daily driving (the sport ones squeak when used for daily driving and makes the car sound like a bus around town) and are happy to keep it at that and enjoy the driving. Preventative maintenance is higher with more oil and filter changes, and brake pads and rotors. Guys with older cars tend to spend quite a lot getting them to the spec they want.... It can become an obsession IMO :-). I'm getting about 10 track days out of a set of track tyres. They're much cheaper than road tyres and better on the track. Your can drive there and home on them. They also save the expense of chewing up expensive road tyres and also having much better track performance. I'm getting about 5+track days out of a set of Pagid brake pads but only 3 out of my last Porsche factory pads. I don't know how long out of a set of rotors yet, but I suspect a couple of years at my rate. Macca is amazing at sourcing parts from overseas and many of us import parts, pads, tyres etc by buying on-line.

I've done some driver training days and they are great (Mt Cotton in Queensland, and Porsche club here). The Porsche Club ones are great value but usually only one day per year. And the commercial ones are pretty expensive, eg $1200 per day. Our track days cost under $200 in fees, plus fuel and wear and tear. And you can always get one of the more experienced group members to go out on huge track with you and give you some pointers. But much of there learning comes from experience, talking, following, observing and just doing it.

However, don't be afraid of doing some track days.... The way we do them it's an opportunity to explore the potential of your car, driving in one direction with no opposing traffic, with wide run offs should you make a bad mistake.... Ie very safe conditions vs spirited driving on the he road. We are insured with a $5k excess (and some rules to abide by). The group are happy for you to drive to your comfort level.... We mostly compete with ourselves, trying to improve our lines and times, and talk about all things Porsche and driving at the track.

I think you can see from these posts that you'd be very welcome :-)
Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Pel - be interested to hear what sort of scope you went through to fix the aircon. Mine finally died a few months back and Pete B has confirmed its a fuel tank out job - big $'s. So if you're keen to share costs on that bit - send me a pm. At the moment its summer and I'm happy just to drive with the windows open!
Just pulled my invoice out, they charged me $235 reading "Found system to be low on gas, placed on vacum for a period and checked for pressure loss, all appears ok. Checked for loss of gas, unable to detect any loss at time of inspection. Use until performance drops off"

Will be interesting to see how long it lasts as I was expecting to pay thousands for the tank out fix, at least one pleasant surprise.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:28 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Would be good to see you at HD. Not sure about your circle of friends but outside RSG no one is interested or understands my Porsche obsession. Track days are what you want them to be. Your car was designed with a bigger performance envelope than cruising at 109km/hr or cornering with a bit of attitude. At the track you can safely exploit that performance. You can also learn some basic driving skills. I would not go on public roads at Targa Tour speeds without knowing my car's capabilities. The track is the perfect place to practice.
Thanks John/Doug

I will get there in the near future, 100% aware that I need to get some track time under me before driving at speed on roads with a passenger.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Thanks John/Doug I will get there in the near future, 100% aware that I need to get some track time under me before driving at speed on roads with a passenger.
Will be good to meet. Make sure you post pics of the car and sort out your avatar.

As for your post on clear indicators. I think it works on coloured cars e.g. Dave's red C2, but not as much on the GP White cars.
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2013, 04:39 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
My approach might have been a little different than the others. I'm into my second boxster, a 2007 987.1 Boxster S with only 75k and one careful owner (prior to me) which cost me just under $50k. I've invested in a set of track wheels ~$3k, racing brake fluid and both Pagid sports brake pads and Porsche ones for daily driving (the sport ones squeak when used for daily driving and makes the car sound like a bus around town) and are happy to keep it at that and enjoy the driving. Preventative maintenance is higher with more oil and filter changes, and brake pads and rotors. Guys with older cars tend to spend quite a lot getting them to the spec they want.... It can become an obsession IMO :-). I'm getting about 10 track days out of a set of track tyres. They're much cheaper than road tyres and better on the track. Your can drive there and home on them. They also save the expense of chewing up expensive road tyres and also having much better track performance. I'm getting about 5+track days out of a set of Pagid brake pads but only 3 out of my last Porsche factory pads. I don't know how long out of a set of rotors yet, but I suspect a couple of years at my rate. Macca is amazing at sourcing parts from overseas and many of us import parts, pads, tyres etc by buying on-line.

I've done some driver training days and they are great (Mt Cotton in Queensland, and Porsche club here). The Porsche Club ones are great value but usually only one day per year. And the commercial ones are pretty expensive, eg $1200 per day. Our track days cost under $200 in fees, plus fuel and wear and tear. And you can always get one of the more experienced group members to go out on huge track with you and give you some pointers. But much of there learning comes from experience, talking, following, observing and just doing it.

However, don't be afraid of doing some track days.... The way we do them it's an opportunity to explore the potential of your car, driving in one direction with no opposing traffic, with wide run offs should you make a bad mistake.... Ie very safe conditions vs spirited driving on the he road. We are insured with a $5k excess (and some rules to abide by). The group are happy for you to drive to your comfort level.... We mostly compete with ourselves, trying to improve our lines and times, and talk about all things Porsche and driving at the track.

I think you can see from these posts that you'd be very welcome :-)
Errr - until you do a Miller or a Peter M and blow an engine or a Neil and Jason and kiss the wall - Russian Roulette is spinning at 1 in 4 p/a at the mo!

Count Shaun and John's fun and games - and you are close to 1 in 3..........??

We are worse than the racers..........??
Old 11-19-2013, 04:45 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure about your circle of friends but outside RSG no one is interested or understands my Porsche obsession.
Absolutely know what you mean here. Porsche is sadly a dirty word in my house, and the less I remind her about the car the better! As for my friends, I'm happy to talk about it but I never bring it up myself. I keep on thinking about "that guy" that Jeremy Clarkson always talks about, who's boring everyone about all the track days he's been on, and try not to be that guy.

That's why this forum and RSG are so important!
Old 11-19-2013, 05:12 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

There's no rule limiting you to one Porker!
Two blokes within 100m of me own three Porsches each.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Two blokes within 100m of me own three Porsches each.
Yep, Porsche Alley. Must get Scott out to HD one day. Still waiting on Kevin's decision re 14/12.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Pel and NZ Skater this could be you!

Apologies for the image quality. When you pay $67 for a GoPro rip off you get what you pay for.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=664360115
Old 11-19-2013, 03:24 PM
JenSP
Intermediate

Thanks for your comments, some close-ups of the black 17" Fuchs below - same as Johns ? (FuchsFelge)

I was a bit nervous how they'd look on the 993 but quite natural in the flesh, esp. with lowered suspension. Had only seen their 18" Fuchs on 993's which IMHO don't work so well - proportions wrong for that wheel style.

The 17's are a nice change for round-town everyday driving; and a quick workout with trolley jack to get the 18's on for bigger adventures. They and the FD exhaust system may find their way onto a RHD 993 for NZ but not sure where I'll source the one which ticks all my boxes.

Price of good UK cars is getting silly but offset by similar for my LHD - very few manuals here now as most exported back to Europe and people waking up to that. I estimate 40% appreciation of top condition 993's over past 3 years in UK/Europe, but similar for other classic models - very cheap credit and super inflated UK real estate is pushing it along.
Attached Images    
Old 11-19-2013, 03:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JenSP
Thanks for your comments, some close-ups of the black 17" Fuchs below - same as Johns ? (FuchsFelge).
Yes, one and the same. Very happy with them.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:52 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-fo...2-for-sale-479
nice spec for rsg

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?