Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe just spend the day with the AIM display turned off and for your first session position yourself behind a faster car (plenty of clear track) with Steve in the passenger seat and just pretend you are starting from scratch. The telemetrics are all good and fine for finding the last second or more but in the first instance I think its about getting the driving lines and brake points right, keeping the steering inputs super smooth, then the gears and other details come later.

You'll find those missing seconds John but I dont know if all that data will make any real difference til you are under 1.20s. We are all different and learn in different ways so in the end just go with what works best for you.

Im itching to get back to HD. I suspect my next track sessions with be SIIT and then NITT with Taupo & Manfield.
Im really looking forward to spending more time at Taupo. For me this is the hardest track in the NI to master. Its very technical and demands alot of the car (brakes and suspension). Its also longer than Manfiled & HD. I think it will take another day of laps to get 2s off a bets time there at our level. After that it will be car set up that determines if you can get below say 1.48 with a 964/993. I think the 964s should be targeting 1.50 driven well here on our next outing. The 993 perhaps 1.48

You need good brake modulation there, and also a nicely set up front end with plenty of grip form what I could determine. From my observation we were all getting faster at the end of two cosecuitive days on teh track and I think as Pete suggested perhaps 2 days at Taupo followed by one day at Manfield could be a very good plan. Taupo is good to hang out too. Perhaps an afternoon session at HD on the way down to shake down the cars and get into the groove. Manfields a sweet little track and plenty of unfinished business there for most. Manfield isnt as technical and its about being smooth and about commitment. Theres a couple of tricks there that once you have them down pat really help your times, but you wouldnt even know them unless you were told. One little trick Ray & Jamie told me was just foot to the floor coming out of the corner 1 hairpin in 3rd holding same gear flat out right the way through to the next big corner (infield almost hairpin). Dont lift off. Feels unnatural like the ridge at HD but it works. Then you pile into that first tight infield corner and lay the brakes on big time, heel to toe into 2nd but turn in much earlier than you think you naturally should and then lay the gas on big time flat to the floor through the "S" (upshift to 3rd required half way along) in as straight a line as you can braking hard and late into the cambered hairpin heel & toe back into second turn in hard and late and when car is settled lay on the gas and let the momentum take you to the right side of the track changing into 3rd just at the end of the rumble strip. The 964s should be targeting 1.21 here when out next time. The 993 should be a early/mid 1.19. No pressure then!

As you can see I have nothing to do but to mentally drive these tracks and pick up the points where I think I should be faster LOL!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok team - here's a proposal for 1 Dec NZ Rennlisters/RSG pre Xmas drive followed by a quiet ale &/or orange juice...

10:30am meet up - Smales farm carpark. 2-3 hour country road blast NW Akl (route to be determined - maybe someone else can chip in here). Meet at Hallertau (brewpub on Coatsville/Riverhead highway) for light lunch and a few bevvies. Plenty of room for cars to park and have a gander.

Drive not compulsory so feel free to join in at 2pm for the meet up.

Post below if keen. If enough interest I'll sort a reserved space for us at Hallertau. Also, if someone wants to volunteer as route master that would be great.

Confirmed so far:

1. Pete
2. Macca
3. ...
Old 11-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

AWESOME Pete! Ill contact Bob Magowan & Chris Mende direct and update you...
Old 11-22-2013, 08:06 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=peterC2S;10926096]

Confirmed so far:

1. Pete
2. Macca
3. Miller
Old 11-22-2013, 08:09 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
AWESOME Pete! Ill contact Bob Magowan & Chris Mende direct and update you...
Chris can hitch a ride with one of us no problem.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

I'll meet you at Hallertau. Four Sundays in a row out most of the day in the car will push the good will too far at home. If it's fine it will be Turbo 3.6 time.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:16 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Ok team - here's a proposal for 1 Dec NZ Rennlisters/RSG pre Xmas drive followed by a quiet ale &/or orange juice... 10:30am meet up - Smales farm carpark. 2-3 hour country road blast NW Akl (route to be determined - maybe someone else can chip in here). Meet at Hallertau (brewpub on Coatsville/Riverhead highway) for light lunch and a few bevvies. Plenty of room for cars to park and have a gander. Drive not compulsory so feel free to join in at 2pm for the meet up. Post below if keen. If enough interest I'll sort a reserved space for us at Hallertau. Also, if someone wants to volunteer as route master that would be great. Confirmed so far: 1. Pete 2. Macca 3. ...
3. Paul
4. Doug

I wonder if Ron has any magic routes up that way?
Old 11-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Dave - where did you source your rear wheel packers? I have some 16's I'm playing with but the off set means they rub on the oil line - I need to find 10mm??
Design 911, I got 21mm adapters.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Closer than you think - in a garage at Hampton Downs?
What does it look like now and does it come out much?
Old 11-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Maxem
Drifting

3. Paul
4. Doug
5. Dave
Old 11-22-2013, 09:36 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I wonder if Ron has any magic routes up that way?
I think Ron was going to do a run up there same w/e but canx as there is also a PCNZ event (Pukekohe as the Porsche race series is piggybacking off the V8 Super tourers round). I imagine we'll be a little more sedate but feel free to press on with Macca (and Paul won't be able to help himself either!)

You do realise you've been elected point man for the day?!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:28 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Sounds good to me, thanks Pete!

3. Paul
4. Doug
5. Dave
6. Chris
Old 11-22-2013, 11:00 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Sounds good to me, thanks Pete!

3. Paul
4. Doug
5. Dave
6. Chris
Chris - are you not doing the super tourer round at Puke?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:30 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Chris - are you not doing the super tourer round at Puke?
No, Friday is my last day at work so I can't get out to Pukekohe. Given its a Super Tourer round its run a bit different with practice and qualifying on the Friday.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:36 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Count me in, thanks! All loaded up today ... Month of darkness ahead ...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?