Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep had a rebuild at 180k so not worried about the engine (hopefully), I guess the front diff may the next item, planetary gears?

John thanks for the offer I will likely take you up on this, by the end of the week I will already be over 10k in with discs, air con fixed, distributor causing hall sensor fault, springs, wheels, tyres and all the other miscellaneous stuff going with it. I went into this with eyes open and prepared to spend the dough if need be, considered going water cooled but if I did that I would always wonder. Its not a marriage and if the "old car" problems get me down there's always the option of going newer.

I struggle to find time to post on here but enjoy reading the banter, a friend of mine owns Tyre City opposite CCS, had an interesting conversation with him regarding N rated tyres after reading the comments, ultimately ending in N rated conti's for the 964. Steve at Euro Pacific has been a good help so far, contemplating weather to replace orange indicators with clear ones or leave as is.

Ive never done any trackwork or "spirited driving" on back roads but am pretty keen to do Targa Tour 2014 (the other half will take some convincing), just wondering weather the 964 is up to it and weather I want to put it through that. Im off to a wedding in the Coromandel this weekend and if the weathers good will take the 964, may try and stop in at HD on my way home and see what the fuss is about.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Would be good to see you at HD. Not sure about your circle of friends but outside RSG no one is interested or understands my Porsche obsession.

Track days are what you want them to be. Your car was designed with a bigger performance envelope than cruising at 109km/hr or cornering with a bit of attitude. At the track you can safely exploit that performance. You can also learn some basic driving skills. I would not go on public roads at Targa Tour speeds without knowing my car's capabilities. The track is the perfect place to practice.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Right now I'm in the final build stage. A $35,000 car will soon owe me $70,000!
Is that all - you got away cheaply...................
Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JenSP
Hi guys, I'm envious of your SI tour + SI Targa next year. ChCh to Otago is a lot of straight lines until Dunedin or Omarama but a gem of a B road is Geraldine to Fairlie (see this vid) - the first 10k's out of Geraldine is a series of short straights but then classic rolling hill country - fast driving and drops into Fairlie at the last minute. Did it when back in NZ several months ago & almost tempted to turnaround & do it twice again !
JenSP - your 993 with the fuchs looks amazing - do you have any more pic's?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I found it pays to not spreadsheet the costs. I stopped updating the spreadsheet 12+ months ago and things have been very manageable since then LOL!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Pel
Pro

Haha I was updating the spreadsheet as you wrote that. I can now see how guys end up selling cars for 40k when 100k has gone in.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Pel
Pro

Also got the manilla folder with receipts happening. At the moment the only driving I do is between places to spend money on it!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Haha I was updating the spreadsheet as you wrote that. I can now see how guys end up selling cars for 40k when 100k has gone in.
Yes. The trick is to find someone who is selling a car like that! From my observation most of the cars on the market in NZ have simply been driven without preventative maintenance with generally just the bare basic work done to keep them on the road. The other trick (well my trick anyhow) is not to sell the car. Its amazing how easy it is to justify amortization of 100K "investment" in a car over 10, 20 or more years LOL!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
I agree with Macca, If you add in the "total Porsche experience", i.e. $5-10K in track day fee's and weekend's away, It's a $20-30K a year hobby.

I keep saying I should go buy the Red 964T X88 and half my Pcar annual costs - $7k a year in interest only payments ( I will assume I can still sell for same price) and about $4k in preventative maintenance........

I will be limited to concourses and Sunday drives around the Bays with JMc............
Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
At the moment the only driving I do is between places to spend money on it!
Amen brother - we all do that.

Except for Macca, who doesn't even get to drive it between places.................

The track is a slippery slop - listen to us - don't do it unless you have lots of lazy cash and want to destroy your cars paint..........

Be like Pete and buy a race car and keep the C4 for weekend work.

You could be the only smart one...............as none of us listened..........
Old 11-19-2013, 12:46 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
JenSP - your 993 with the fuchs looks amazing - do you have any more pic's?
+1 on that - lovely looking car.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:49 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pel - be interested to hear what sort of scope you went through to fix the aircon. Mine finally died a few months back and Pete B has confirmed its a fuel tank out job - big $'s. So if you're keen to share costs on that bit - send me a pm. At the moment its summer and I'm happy just to drive with the windows open!
Old 11-19-2013, 01:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Is that all - you got away cheaply...................
Seems like a lot to me. Best part though is that I brought forward a lot of future expense and I drive with confidence knowing I have dealt to the big items. I don't expect to do much more than maintenance over the next couple go years.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Seems like a lot to me. Best part though is that I brought forward a lot of future expense and I drive with confidence knowing I have dealt to the big items. I don't expect to do much more than maintenance over the next couple go years.
John. Good luck with that. I said the same in 2001 shortly after buying the 993 and spending 8K making it "perfect"......

Paul. The Midnight Blue 3.6 964 for around 110K cash would make more sense for you. Then you wouldn't feel so guilty owning a museum piece and could still visit us at the track occasionally in it when you aren't being a cafe racer. Better still buy a 3.3T with X88 upgrade (Green) from HK for 65K and enjoy it every day. Those cars are a "sleeper" value wise I reckon and in all honesty with the X engine you wont notice much difference. Jasmine will sell you some reconned speedlines for 10K if you really want the 3.6 look.

Pete. The air con condenser is a big job. Around 3K is the typi al quote with hardware. You can save some money on the components and if you are willing to follow the manual you can do this job yourself. I think Graeme on here did it with a mate over a weekend for around $1200 in parts and beer all up. I believe there is an upgraded condenser that more efficient too (aftermarket piece). plenty of info on RL on this. Its the same system as 993 and they also suffer from same issue. Second var youll nail in 8 hours after learning form the first....
Old 11-19-2013, 01:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Yes. The trick is to find someone who is selling a car like that! From my observation most of the cars on the market in NZ have simply been driven without preventative maintenance with generally just the bare basic work done to keep them on the road. The other trick (well my trick anyhow) is not to sell the car. Its amazing how easy it is to justify amortization of 100K "investment" in a car over 10, 20 or more years LOL!
Yes, great in theory to find one but it could be a long wait. You spend serious money on these cars because you have the desire and the means to do so. I don't think those types spit up cars for cents on the dollar. I can't think of another car that I would exchange it for so mine won't be out there for a long long time, if ever in my lifetime.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?