Who is Massa?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:25 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Originally Posted by Macca

If anyone reading this is still interested in next years Targa Tour please let me know here so I can mention rough numbers when talking with Tony. Im sure they will be helping with the track side of it.
Definitely yes for me, job not required, no one to ask for time off if I'm not working! I will probably take the 996tt, will discuss with Steve R today when we catchup.

This will be awesome!
Happy to sit in your left hand chair Chris!

Next year is shaping up as a biggie. Playday also looking for expressions of interest for Targa Rotorua 17-19 May. At this rate we'll have no time for track days.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Worth a gander
Attached Images    
Old 11-15-2013, 04:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Who is Massa?
Japanese person in NZ for many years. First met him and his Turbo 3.6 in 2003.
Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2013, 05:07 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Worth a gander
You were early! Paul and I just been and had a good nose around. Macca's car sitting in the basement (as usual) and the 959 in the workshop (as usual).
Old 11-15-2013, 05:09 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Capable as the new cars are - and the Turbo is a beast, we were still drawn to the older cars. Looking forward to the Milford day out where there will be countless more to ogle and admire from concours to daily beaters!
Old 11-15-2013, 05:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
You were early! Paul and I just been and had a good nose around. Macca's car sitting in the basement (as usual) and the 959 in the workshop (as usual).
Places to be, bung to fit, classic seat to fit, water feature to plumb. Need to start early. What surprised me was the sheer size of the car.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:31 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Places to be, bung to fit, classic seat to fit, water feature to plumb. Need to start early. What surprised me was the sheer size of the car.
Yep - it's definitely a 'jobs to do' day. You're right about the new car though - it is huge. Those 20' wheels almost look ridiculous. Feels like too much bling to me. I guess all the bits and flares, and vents all have a purpose but honestly I find the 996T a more pleasing looking car even with those headlights...
Old 11-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I see Sean Carnells old black 930 in the background. The one that beat me at the Concours in 2005.

That 993 Turbo is simply hideous. Obviously specced by an Asian Ronald McDonald!

The 991 has definitely grown from the 997. Part of that is the 100mm wheel base stretch. That said I agree 100% on the comments re the TruboS. To me its too wide at the rear with squared off haunches loosing that lovely curve. Its also way to SUV ride height on those 20" spinners. The gaps above the tyres have come in for major criticism but hard to fix at this time with no aftermarket solution. I find the front too wide and I really dont like the LED headlights - I have them specced on my GT3 and then changed when I saw them in the flesh on the TurboS.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I cant believe my car is still at CCS. That's 7 weeks now! It was groomed a week ago and should have been in storage by now.....cant wait to take it for a spin in two weeks time....
Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

JOhn. I hadnt seen those spacer kits for the Bilstens before. Very interesting. My front shocks are maxed out 5mm above RS height at front due to the monoballs (thicker than factory rubber mounts). Right now Im happy with that as RS height is as extreme as I want it from experience on NZ roads. However if I ever decide to go lower than RS height I will certainly look into those (though they are pricey for a threaded sleeve kit).

For your car Im not even sure you are fully lowered yet on the existing shocks and springs? Maybe ask Peter - you may beable to drop another 30mm on the existing set up. Along with unsprung weight (ideal = low), the center of gravity (height best = low) are the two areas most important to vehicle dynamics. Theres a good book I have on this I will lend you. Once you understand how the engineering principles interact you can see that going fast isnt actually all about power to weight but fore mostly about power to tarmac. The displacement gains later should only capitalize on a well planted and well balanced (light) chassis.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

More pics for Macca.
Attached Images     
Old 11-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Chris. I have you down firm with Doug and Myself. I need to check with Sean but I think hes firm (though may chose to go into the full competition with a dedicated track car). John and Matt I have yet to have a decision. I have Paul and Peter down as paid co drivers/navigators for drivers without a bum in the jump seat. I may well be looking for same as my wife reaction to the changed location and duration was to promptly start planning a girls trip to Indonesia in June!

I think the 996TT is the right car for this for first time out. There is a hell of alot of touring involved to so comfort is important. You will need to have the car well prepared. By then it will have also completed the SITT and add another 20K km for the work commute etc. Earning its keep.

I can step in, in 2014 as Project Committee member to put this together. I dont see any need to do too much right now apart from book your calendars. Im a Targa member and get all the news feeds sow ill pass them on. I will start an RSG thread in due course. I have spoken with Tony about this today but it will be probably not until after Xmas that we know if we can get a group discount via Playdays. At the moment Ive indicated we will have approx. 5 cars (plus Ron/Patsy, Mitchells etc who like to do their own thing).

Matt, John let me know what you decide. I must also mention to Peter and Neil as both were very interested when discussed at NITT and will be mores o when they hear its in the South Island as they are missing SITT. We will have to act fast as I see this one will become iconic and sell out fast.

Lastly, we need someone to chair a 2014 NITT project. Only if everyone is interested in a NITT next year? Thats an early Sept date like last year but this time lets try for 3 tracks in 5 days - Id simply love to drive HD for a second time to see if I can fine all my Daves and frankly I see it as my only venture to HD in 2014! I think a NITT would be great. If we drop this now we wont continue - its our signature tour!

If we do the NITT I will need a third job. Actually if we do a NITT I will not have time for any job, and need a new wife as this one will be fed up! So any ideas for both gratefully welcome...
Old 11-15-2013, 06:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Pics for Turbo 3.6 lovers
Attached Images          
Old 11-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Ive read the reviews on that 991 turbo S and apparently it goes like the clappers and is the dogs bollix. But Id never buy it. How much are they fleecing customers for it in NZ anyway?

I sat in the 993T RMAS (Ronald Mcdonald Asia Special) in September. I puked a little in my mouth...

I think the 993TT is going to Malaysia soon.

Massas car is gorgeous. Speed yellow was the best. Check it against the latest 991 "racing yellow" below and tell me it isnt so!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?