Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 04:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
That widens the choice then...93TRBO?
John. Mmmmm. No. This is definitely your cheapest ride scenario. 996TT then. Unless you are an extremely competent fast road driver I would stick with something you would not shed a tear with if you destroyed it. We list 5 cars last year (no speed ban) and they ridgedly reinforced the 150km limit on the Targa tour this year and only lost 2. That said drive within your limits and you will have no issues. However thats easier said than done when the red mist falls....

P.S. Sean managed to limp home this year day 4 with a crippled gearbox (Steves white 73"RS" car). Naturally the box had seen its share of abuse. The event will show any weak links. If its not tip top it will probably break over 6 days and 1100 competion kms most of them over 100kmph.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Mmmmm. No. This is definitely your cheapest ride scenario. 996TT then. Unless you are an extremely competent fast road driver I would stick with something you would not shed a tear with if you destroyed it. We list 5 cars last year (no speed ban) and they ridgedly reinforced the 150km limit on the Targa tour this year and only lost 2. That said drive within your limits and you will have no issues. However thats easier said than done when the red mist falls.... P.S. Sean managed to limp home this year day 4 with a crippled gearbox (Steves white 73"RS" car). Naturally the box had seen its share of abuse. The event will show any weak links. If its not tip top it will probably break over 6 days and 1100 competion kms most of them over 100kmph.
Drove the Turbo 3.6 to work today. Will trip over to CCS in it tomorrow morning, but the reality is that it will unlikely go past HD from now on. 996TT already has SRF, plus I'm looking at a spare set of rims that could take some Z221s. Paint is more chip resistant than 964 paint and it's built like a brick sh$t house. Sounds like an easy choice.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Don't get me wrong the 964T is an awesome ride and if it were mine I would probably take it to the Targa Tour. I dont see it as any more irreplaceable than my 993. Heck theres actually 2 of them on TM to choose from (probable 4-5 if you include the 964 3.3)! That said I dont think you should. The 996TT is the right tool for your first tour IMHO. I used the 993 but I didnt have a choice.

I know Doug and Chris and Paul are conditioned to fast road work as I have done a session with each of them (Ron & Patsy, NITT etc).

What I have noticed is that some people are keyed into this type of driving immediately and some take time. Those that have driven with me will know what I mean. Im personally more competent at this driving that the track, but its probably down to experience. I grew up in Titirangi - the cliff was always close to the passenger side mirror on those roads especially when the 226 ARC bus was coming the opposite direction. A fun ride was Piha (top of Seaview Road) to Lopdale House Titirangi Vilage in (my record) 13.5 minutes (1998 WRX). A not so fun ride was hitting a cliff drunk at dusk on that same road in a VW Golf with three passengers on a Friday night (I wasnt driving) then ending up at Auckland hospital helping stitch up a friends face because they were short staffed. I almost lost my legs (A piller and B pillar were compressed by 45cm but door V'd out not in). I digress...

Anyway what you should do is get in with Chris, Paul & Doug next weekend (or whenever) ad design a 4 hour Sunday tour Ron Stovenen style. Doug will be into it Im sure. Make sure its something you are comfortable with. Remember Targa speed will be around 30%+ higher than the types of speeds we were doing with Chris on way back from Fielding, but with plenty more windy roads. Lots of fun. Big adrenaline trip.

I recall Matt was also thinking of joining us. Unless I put him off already. But under that mild mannered exterior I just know there's another Walter White. Matty is just waiting to devour those roads with his 996 GT3!
Old 11-15-2013, 05:12 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will see you chaps down at Contis tomorrow then by the sounds. A minor outing but one nonetheless.

As to targa tour - I'll happily co for someone - just cool to be part of it. May be bit of a clash with NITT though - just waiting on those dates from Tony plus PCNZ speed series dates so we don't clash. I'll post them us as soon as known. Also getting the next 3 months HD dates from Tony so will have a bit more RSG action coming up
Old 11-15-2013, 05:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Will see you chaps down at Contis tomorrow then by the sounds. A minor outing but one nonetheless. As to targa tour - I'll happily co for someone - just cool to be part of it. May be bit of a clash with NITT though - just waiting on those dates from Tony plus PCNZ speed series dates so we don't clash. I'll post them us as soon as known. Also getting the next 3 months HD dates from Tony so will have a bit more RSG action coming up
What is the PCNZ speed series?
Old 11-15-2013, 05:59 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the PCNZ speed series?
The gymkhana's , time trials and bent sprints you did earlier this year.

Basically any PCNZ track event that didn't involve a cage.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
The gymkhana's , time trials and bent sprints you did earlier this year. Basically any PCNZ track event that didn't involve a cage.
Ok. I'm keen to do the bent sprints next time. Gymkhanas really not my thing and I get enough regularity with the Classic Trials.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:04 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

John the 964T would be too violent if driven in anger to use for Targa. Having that turbo kick in on a blind corner is stuff for people with bigger bollocks than any of us. The 964T is a grand tourer, not a car for twisties.......

I'd take either the C4 or the 996T, depends on whether you want to change gears? Personally I'd take the C4 as I'm old fashioned and still like changing gears when driving on back roads. I also think you will find your C4 will be more sorted, you would want to do several track days in the 996T to find any weaknesses that traffic cursing hides.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:06 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I recall Matt was also thinking of joining us. Unless I put him off already. But under that mild mannered exterior I just know there's another Walter White. Matty is just waiting to devour those roads with his 996 GT3!
Yes - hoping he wants a co driver
Old 11-15-2013, 06:10 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Ok. I'm keen to do the bent sprints next time. Gymkhanas really not my thing and I get enough regularity with the Classic Trials.
John - you are on 12 points - just in front of Robert Ho............

http://www.porsche.org.nz/PorscheClu...257BAD00206280

Pete's only on 6 points - (I think you get that just for turning up??)
Old 11-15-2013, 06:25 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

good to see enthusiastic response for targa 14. Bit of momentum building here whipped up by macca. I agree the technique is different from track driving. lots of blind corners and so not as much the classic late apex, otherwise risk is running out of road when corner tightens. less aggressive geo to account for road shapes and bumps, and more compliance
Old 11-15-2013, 07:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Graeme. You are right the compliance and chassis are kind on our B roads. This is where a GT3 may actually need softening up to be a trusting steed.

This evening my wife doesn't seem much interested in going to the South Island twice to do car stuff in 2014 so I'll need to work on that....i
Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
John - you are on 12 points - just in front of Robert Ho............ http://www.porsche.org.nz/PorscheClu...257BAD00206280 Pete's only on 6 points - (I think you get that just for turning up??)
Certainly does help if you turn up I'm mid pack on the Classic Trial series http://www.clublotus.org.nz/classictrial/2014.htm
Old 11-15-2013, 01:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, have you seen this solution before http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/96...g_Springs.html ? It would allow the front to come down more allowing the spare rear threads to be used.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:15 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone reading this is still interested in next years Targa Tour please let me know here so I can mention rough numbers when talking with Tony. Im sure they will be helping with the track side of it.
Definitely yes for me, job not required, no one to ask for time off if I'm not working! I will probably take the 996tt, will discuss with Steve R today when we catchup.

This will be awesome!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?