Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 05:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Toyo's are the best wet weather track tire by miles. Although they are a second slower than a say the Hankook's or RE55S's, they would be my tire of choice on the SITT if you weren't tailoring down a set. Toyo 888's are the default tire on my car for the road and causal track days.
Looking at a chip remap which 'supposedly' gives 480 rear wheel horse power. I think that will have my street tyres going off in a few laps. Question is whether to go full hog with Z221s (which I love) or have a more street biased mixed tyre like the 888.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:56 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R888s don't seem to be well favoured with people in heavier cars, possibly something to consider in a ~1600kg car.

For a mostly road car, you might be better off with Pilot Super Sports. Amazing on road, and quite capable on track.

Originally Posted by nzskater
On another note, can any of you recommend someone in Auckland for paint and/or interior work?
Ray Hasler Autohaus in Eden Terrace for paint work.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
R888s don't seem to be well favoured with people in heavier cars, possibly something to consider in a ~1600kg car. For a mostly road car, you might be better off with Pilot Super Sports. Amazing on road, and quite capable on track. Ray Hasler Autohaus in Eden Terrace for paint work.
I was happy with Kevin at Topline for my ducktail paint and fit. I've never done any interior work.

I have Michelin Pilot Sport N2 on the car now and a spare set of rears. I also have a new set of the same tyres for the Turbo 3.6. I can't seem to trust tyre fitters with the Speedlines so I will likely sell those to fund some track tyres.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you mean 480 crank hp.

IMO pushing your 996TT to 480 using flash ecu means advancing timing and boost - on an old high miler bing used for track would not believe its the best solution to you becoming a better and more proficient track driver.

The R888 & Medium Z221s are peas in a pod. About the same wear rating, maybe the R888 better than C50 Z221 but not by much I would say. Go with the ones you trust. Price is the same.

The MPSS is a big advance on MPS2 (which Ive always agreed were the best for our cars). New compound and design. Either tyre would be great for a daily driver.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John, for a long while I had the same twist with three porkers. Well 2.5 really (Audi/Porsche RS2 + 993RS then GT3 then 968 etc and always of course 993 C2). I think this was in the 4 years 2002 - 2006 when you were offshore in Fiji & Malaysia. Each to his own but eventually you may tire of having three, fiscally at least, and also logistically and I found maintaining them all to my standard to be a really mental pressure. Doesn't help being a Virgo! The R888s will work out the same if not more than Z221s which are better tyres from what I read. We are going down in summer and the Z221s are fine in the wet ay you and I know. A set of mediums will get you down and back but definitely no more life than that. You may also need to buy and have fitted some Endless (suggest MX72) pads for your 996TT for the track as it will struggle with brakes on standard pads I suspect. They are around $850 a set and need ordering from Japan, I have just ordered a set from Mike at Prosport (thanks Pete) for my future brake upgrade. I also purchased a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports for road tyres via tyre rack. They were really amazing price at $924 a set of 235/275 18s. So if you start beating 1.20s in the C4 you will take the 996TT? But if you are getting so proficient in the 964 why not take it and enjoy it as it would be alot more fun to drive on the track and of course its fun to add an experience to the car you are most likely to keep the longest no? Ive never driven a tipo 996TT on the track so its probably not fair of me to say, I can see the touring benefits but we will be braking the trip down up anyhow. From a reliability standpoint I think by then (if not now) the 964 will be a much more known quantity (the 996TT will have almost 200km on it right?).k P.S. I know you said you were finished with spending money on the C4 but do get the shockies checked and some new springs, also re bushed and checked over maybe some new Geo settings more suited to R compounds. Ive just made some minor changes to the 993 suspension which has apparently made further improvements (according to Dean) for the settings on the NITT which were massive improvements from HD day. For these cars its all about chassis,handling and poise not power. It will certainly make it easier to get to 1.20 and increase confidence in the car and these are not expensive changes (cheaper than the set of classic buckets seats - which by the way I also think you should still keep on the list!).
I pay cash for my cars so costs come down to fuel, rego, insurance, maintenance, upgrades and depreciation. I think depreciation is minimal and fuel is related to distance, as is some maintenance. Upgrades are discretionary, so all up it hasn't got me out of sorts yet.

I have bought a clay bar for the Turbo 3.6, so you know where that's heading. The C4 is my main track car and the 996TT is my DD. When I'm down below 1:20 at HD I may get a bit bored. The 996TT is any easier route for faster lap times than buying yet another car.

The C4 will get new carpet, then those seats....as long as they are as low as the A8s. I currently have no headroom issues with a helmet and I have normal seat functionality. And yes, the springs will be done.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I think you mean 480 crank hp. IMO pushing your 996TT to 480 using flash ecu means advancing timing and boost - on an old high miler bing used for track would not believe its the best solution to you becoming a better and more proficient track driver.
It's a Mezger, 162,000km is just run in I put supposedly on the power as I took it off a Net posting. Chris is looking at a remap. We can put the AIM in there to see what the real world result is.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mezger engines are reliable but have the same problem as any other with legs especially if regularly run very hot at the upper reaches of their designed rev range. They say valve and tappet wear (and I assume cam lobes eventually too) is accelerated 10 fold in the last 1000rpm of the rev range. This is wear our engines are largely sitting for at least 20% of each of our track sessions....

480 RWHP in 4WD chassis with 20% loss factor would be around 600 at crank vs PAG 420 stock. Not possible with a remap.

The engine can definitely be remapped but Ive inadvertently had to learn more about this than I wished too and I can only say that on turbo engine being used on the track longevity of engine, clutch/gearbox (tipo or MT) will be very dependant on fuel quality and IATs on the dat and of course how hard to push it. Its not really a fit for purpose car and once down that path you look towards lightening and removing prop shaft to make 2WD etc.Buying an $80K comfort spec 996 GT3 makes more sense to me. Much more fun on the track too.

If you get to 1.20 John there is plenty more fun to be had. Infact this is where I think the fun would start. I can already see (a good many track days to come) that squeezing the last 0.25s out of my times will require all my mental and physical resources. I have some very specific goals for my driving before taking the 991 GT3 to the track. Im fully aware I could likely run off some 1.13s at HD the day the 991 GT3 arrives but I refuse to take it there until Im running some consistent (and fast) times in the 993. I want to be fast in My Little Pony first. Similar to you with your goals except I need to leap frog using suspension settings and some brio vs repetitive track practice given the circumstances. I do have Skip Barber tentatively booked for 2015 with SITT & Targa next year and hopefully maybe a second go at HD in 2014 to test my mettle. My then Ill be getting a toe from you!

So the 3.6TT is become a garage queen. say it isn't so! Seriously tho is this where you want to go? I got 2nd (beaten on age related points by Sean Carnells 1982 black 930) at the 2005 PCNZ Xmas Parade. She was 72 hours out of the paint shop (full glass out respray) so I didn't even have to give it a wash! I spoke to Sean at the event and he had spent a week off work working on his car! Then there Greg Gaynor with the Green 1971 T(?) how torturous, the guy cant even park it at an event without causing himself a major coronary that it might rain outside while hes inside or someone may open another car door within 4 meters of it. Then theres a 2007 GT3 in the concourse for the last 3-4 years since it was almost new. Whats that all about? I might put my 991 GT3 in then!
It must be a personality thing, and although Im dangerously pre disposed to be a perfectionist with my cars I do not want to go down this path and ruin what fun they represent to me. They are made to be driven. Each to his own mate and its none of my business, eye wide open thats all, another addiction you may not have the time for. Dont let it spoil you driving the car thats all. I know how it can do that. You are still having your fun and exploring after a long time in car isolation, I know the gig, you will eventually sell all and buy a comfort spec 997 GT3 I know mate because this one you can drive to the office as well as the track and you will save money to pay for a bach or a holiday for the family LOL!
Old 11-09-2013, 07:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Turbo 3.6 will not become a garage queen per se. It will however become a Summer dry day car. Well it's practically that now. The clay bar will allow me to get its paint as good as it will go but I'm not taking it to concours. Realistically it would never win with 103,000km on the clock at the chips etc that go with it, plus I have a to do list longer than my arm. The house is taking a lot of my time. Right now trying to work out how to modify the flow on my newly created water feature. It needs a better spray pattern so it doesn't sound like a bath filling (scares the kids) Maybe borrow an injector off the Turbo 3.6? And no it isn't finished yet. I have to wait until the render has cured before I can put the pond paint on, the conceal the pump, pipes etc. and to keep this motoring focused, this is where our cars may eventually end up.
Attached Images   
Old 11-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Phew! Good to hear john. Yes the 3.6T should best serve as weekend warrior and occasional parts car to other vehicles and house. Infact Im sure you could run an generator form the crank and take the place off grid. That injector idea is a good one. You'll need a low impedance multi pintle 36lb Bosch injector - I might have a spare one somewhere!

Love the Kiwi. We had something similar here infront of the beach house it was made from iron (pre rusted) has totally turned to dust in the last 12 months, can I ask where I can find one like that Jo would love it!
Old 11-09-2013, 07:59 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
When I'm down below 1:20 at HD I may get a bit bored.
Doubt it...................

When you get under 1.20, you will be as quick as me, and the fun heats up like it did for Pete and I, when you are chasing each other hoping the one in front stuffs up and gives you an opportunity to pass.........

Boredom for me is simply circulating by yourself with no one to chase or no one to fend off. After 3-4 laps I've had enough and slow down to save the car. For me the fun is having a car that's 100m up the track that you slowly hunt down and hope like hell you can catch before you run out of laps.........or..........having a car the same speed as you, but outsmarting them or getting a better drive line out of a corner and overtaking them.

With all due respect, you make is sound easy to find that missing Dave and a few Macca's, I don't think you will find it this year?? You need to find a lot of time in Turns 1 and 10 and there is a big mental block that needs to be undone.........

One option is for me to tow you and Dave around and you simply "keep up" but as you guys saw last time it's not quite that simple, more realistically, I think you might need a bit of DE with Yoda, Chris or Simon...........

Your next trick is to go out and pull 5 laps within 0.2 of a second on each secession, so you are consistently doing your fastest laps, not just one-off's where not managing traffic or over shooting on the occasional corner means you are actually averaging 1.21's with the occasional 1.19 when everything goes your way.

If the goal is speed, sell them all up and buy the 997 Turbo S on TM, makes a nice grand tourer, new enough to be a lovely daily driver, and ridiculously fast on the track............

Last edited by kiwi 911; 11-09-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doubt it...................

If the goal is speed, sell them all up and buy the 997 Turbo S on TM, makes a nice grand tourer, new enough to be a lovely daily driver, and ridiculously fast on the track............
Agree with Paul on many points and perhaps the suggestion of a 997 T is a good one arther than my 996 "Comfort Spec" GT3 LOL! I hear from those in the know the later PDK gearbox machine from 2009 was a big improvement on the earlier tipo version...but more $$$$ too so maybe a MT is the way to go...
Old 11-09-2013, 08:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Love the Kiwi. We had something similar here infront of the beach house it was made from iron (pre rusted) has totally turned to dust in the last 12 months, can I ask where I can find one like that Jo would love it!
We think we bought it at Weta Design in Coromandel. Sculptor is Martin Wong. Can't see you getting it to Vila on the plane as it weighs about 10kg I.e. Half your luggage allowance.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mate appreciated. Will look into that....
Old 11-09-2013, 08:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Doubt it................... When you get under 1.20, you will be as quick as me, and the fun heats up like it did for Pete and I, when you are chasing each other hoping the one in front stuffs up and gives you an opportunity to pass......... Boredom for me is simply circulating by yourself with no one to chase or no one to fend off. After 3-4 laps I've had enough and slow down to save the car. For me the fun is having a car that's 100m up the track that you slowly hunt down and hope like hell you can catch before you run out of laps.........or..........having a car the same speed as you, but outsmarting them or getting a better drive line out of a corner and overtaking them. With all due respect, you make is sound easy to find that missing Dave and a few Macca's, I don't think you will find it this year?? You need to find a lot of time in Turns 1 and 10 and there is a big metal block that needs to be undone......... One option is for me to tow you and Dave around and you simply "keep up" but as you guys saw last time it's not quite that simple, more realistically, I think you might need a bit of DE with Yoda, Chris or Simon........... Your next trick is to go out and pull 5 laps within 0.2 of a second on each secession, so you are consistently doing your fastest laps, not just one-off's where not managing traffic or over shooting on the occasional corner means you are actually averaging 1.21's with the occasional 1.19 when everything goes your way. If the goal is speed, sell them all up and buy the 997 Turbo S on TM, makes a nice grand tourer, new enough to be a lovely daily driver, and ridiculously fast on the track............
Yes, need more tows and no, it won't happen this year. Thought I would try Turns 1 & 10 at 100km/hr. Pick the speed well before the corners and go through with neutral throttle. I'm definitely over braking. I seem to be doing ok in the twisties so I'm positive much of my issue is those corners, and in fact sweepers in general.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:02 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I seem to be doing ok in the twisties so I'm positive much of my issue is those corners, and in fact sweepers in general.
Yes - I think you and Dave where being held up by me on the Toyo's last time through turns 2 and 3. I have to short shift or sit on the rev limiter into turn 8.

I tired a set of 16's with some 2 year old RE55S's at the last uncles day, unfortunately I popped my rear sway bar, but still managed 1.22's......

The interesting thing was I didn't have to short shift, but almost need to short shift from 4th the 5th along the straight, I was sitting on the rev limiter for the last 50-100m. This issue might go away with an attached sway bar........

So I might actually be quicker on 16's ???

It was nice to ride on the Bridgestones again - this is my personal tire of choice..........

Last edited by kiwi 911; 11-09-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?