Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yeah - I feel the pain on the 911 front, this hobby has cost $2-5K a month for the last 3 years and my visa company likes me so much, I've been upgraded to platinum!! Arrrrrr ........ the track cocaine has me........ No Prob's - text me your address and I'll swing by. Cheers PM
I thought 911s were expensive, but was surprised when Micheal said he had spent $30k + on the 944. No P car is cheap!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Scott will join us on Sunday. I think that makes six of us.
Just to make sure I've got this right. We have Chris, Macca, Paul, Peter, Scott and myself on Sunday? I gather we won't have much demand for salad, just carnivore types?

11:30am until we're talked out. Chris has the address and the rest of you have been there before. See you all then.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:19 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
SITT reckie completed today. When the tour goes from Franz Joseph Glacier to Queenstown I strongly recommend taking a couple of hours out to shoot down from Haast to (the world famous) The Cray Pot at Jackson Bay (about a half hour easy drive). It is the western most point you can drive on the West Coast. The sea food is to die for and it is a completely unique Kiwi experience. Due to an on-going rock fall problem the road through Haast Pass is closed from 7pm each night and the road closes going in at Haast at 6pm. We wont have problems with that but worth knowing. Ive attached a few pics of the trip (5 hours return from Wanaka in the land cruiser)
Good one Doug, I think I'll take the bung out of the cat so I can hear the flat six sing on those hillside road drives.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:36 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to make sure I've got this right. We have Chris, Macca, Paul, Peter, Scott and myself on Sunday? I gather we won't have much demand for salad, just carnivore types?

11:30am until we're talked out. Chris has the address and the rest of you have been there before. See you all then.
That sounds right. No need to over-cater this time of year - I've eaten enough to last til next x-mas! I'll bring the girlie bits (greens).
Old 01-01-2014, 05:35 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Craig I think did 1.17's in the 993 at manfield if my memory serves correctly.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:40 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Good one Doug, I think I'll take the bung out of the cat so I can hear the flat six sing on those hillside road drives.
Wohoo! Today got me thinking John.... We are not far from being able to do all 4 points of the nz road compass on the trip. Cape Reinga, Gisborne, Jackson Bay (or West Southland) and Bluff. Gisborne is the only one a bit out of the way of our current plan but it is not too bad. If we swapped Ron's Alk to Havlock North for Alk-Gisborne-Havlock North we would have it nailed. The Opotoki to Gisbourne drive through a 50 k river valley is beautiful. Have you done it?

Are you keen to take a look at this idea?
Old 01-01-2014, 06:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Craig I think did 1.17's in the 993 at manfield if my memory serves correctly.
Graeme Im doubting that on the grounds that the best Group B (964/993) result last season was a fraction over 1.18 and Ian Hayr (championship winner) best result at man-field in the GT3RS was just under 1.16. If Craig was running a none stripped out 993 with just suspension,tyres and seat upgrades he would have been in the 1.18s but I could be wrong....
Old 01-01-2014, 07:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. Awesome write up on your trip. Those SI roads look so similar to some of the Alpine/lake passes Ive been driving these last 4 weeks. I think Europe & NZ B roads have much in common.

Pete. I only stole the ARBs and there's no way Im shopping in the PSS10 for Motons. The 993 has had too much spent on suspension!

Jamie and I both owned 4 pot Porsches at the same time He had a low km 944S2 and I had a 968 6spd. Both DD. We both agreed that in the end they were actually more expensive to own/run (assumes belt and water pump job which most owners will have to do at least once) than our respective 993s and didnt feel nearly as "special". They were however much easier to drive fast. I have definitely scratched that itch (put 20k km on the 968 including to DE at Puke - hose blew off on one go trailer-ed back to CCS and clutch plate let go second time - lesson in buying a car with no history and budget maintenance program!). I have that shirt also John, you are not alone....
Old 01-01-2014, 07:14 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

pretty sure that was his best. maybe in best conditions etc...so might no be comparable to any other meet. all racers understate their mods right? and a 15.8 vs 17.8 still a couple sec.
not sure what tune it was in when it was finally sold but engine was rebuilt at least once.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Wohoo! Today got me thinking John.... We are not far from being able to do all 4 points of the nz road compass on the trip. Cape Reinga, Gisborne, Jackson Bay (or West Southland) and Bluff. Gisborne is the only one a bit out of the way of our current plan but it is not too bad. If we swapped Ron's Alk to Havlock North for Alk-Gisborne-Havlock North we would have it nailed. The Opotoki to Gisbourne drive through a 50 k river valley is beautiful. Have you done it? Are you keen to take a look at this idea?
I'm keen to have a look at it. What difference does it make to logistics? I may have to hard wire the GoPro with a mic on the exhaust.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug. Awesome write up on your trip. Those SI roads look so similar to some of the Alpine/lake passes Ive been driving these last 4 weeks. I think Europe & NZ B roads have much in common. Pete. I only stole the ARBs and there's no way Im shopping in the PSS10 for Motons. The 993 has had too much spent on suspension! Jamie and I both owned 4 pot Porsches at the same time He had a low km 944S2 and I had a 968 6spd. Both DD. We both agreed that in the end they were actually more expensive to own/run (assumes belt and water pump job which most owners will have to do at least once) than our respective 993s and didnt feel nearly as "special". They were however much easier to drive fast. I have definitely scratched that itch (put 20k km on the 968 including to DE at Puke - hose blew off on one go trailer-ed back to CCS and clutch plate let go second time - lesson in buying a car with no history and budget maintenance program!). I have that shirt also John, you are not alone....
Macca, it's a T-shirt I'm happy to have now as I can plan Cape Reinga to Bluff runs with confidence. I now know that there's no miracle with 20 year old cars: it will cost at some stage to get the items done and I got that all sorted in one go. I now have a car I drive to events, have great fun and drive home. It's exactly what I want, which was well worth the expense. I know I'd lose on resale, but that's not an issue as this car isn't going to be sold in my lifetime.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi John. I wouldn't do it again. I encourage everyone I know looking for a Porsche to wait for the best possible car they can, something with some history if possible. I got the 968 very cheap (imported specifically for me from Japan) so it was a known gamble. In the end I didnt loose any dollars as it was a business asset and thus heavily depreciated (back when you could get away with murder on a 100% business vehicle). Just the inconvenience the unexpected issues caused me to regret getting it. Im terribly impatient with these things and the 993 touch wood hasnt blotted its copy book in 13 years. Not once has it let me down, failed to start or complete a long tour (we have done around 6 x 2000km+ touring journeys/holidays in her to date), targa or track day and long may it last! Its even more important the last 8 years as I need the car to work three times a year as soon as its cranked over or it would become a royal PITA!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John, use the GoPro with the skeleton back and case on a harness bar mount and it should pick up the exhaust note no problem. Mine certainly does...
Old 01-01-2014, 05:10 PM
O2GO
Drifting

I'm keen to have a look at it. What difference does it make to logistics? I may have to hard wire the GoPro with a mic on the exhaust.
I'm looking into it from the point of view that we don't change any dates or accommodation, we just might need to get up earlier in the morning than the rest of the crew a couple of times to nail the extra miles. I don't know what route Ron has planned, but it will naturally consume a lot more miles than the standard boring state highway route. So we might just be able to do this without much additional mileage. Not that I care about doing more miles :-). Will explore it and report back.

I turn up the exhaust volume by ripping off the canvas :-P
Old 01-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

You guys should take that opportunity as it wont come around again.

Jo and I really need to know exactly where we are in the next two weeks accommodation and planning wise for his trip as we have plenty to plan ahead (air travel, rental cars, importing GT3 etc).

It may work out we just join Ron & Co down to be perfectly honest so dont hold back because of us. Rons pace isnt stupidly fast but the route is usually interesting and Im pretty sure hes included Gentle Annies 1 + 2 in this trip (very fast and flowing with brand new seal, wide roads, great run off - spectacular - we did them in the 2012 Targa). If **** comes to shove Im pretty sure I can talk to Ron about Matt, Jo/I joining them and you guys can just trail till we get to SI and then we tour that part together. Im relaxed either way but I want to lock and load it by mid Jan as Ill have plenty to deal with after then.

Unfortunately there's always hell to pay when you leave your properties & business for a month or two...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?