Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:51 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's ripe for an LS1 conversion...

Awesome twilight run at Hampton Downs today, great to see Peter's new machine out and about (and already competitive lap times to the C4!). First time at HD since I fitted the Hankooks, took a few laps to get used to the strange turn-in sensation the soft compound fronts provide (had the same experience at Taupo last month), but ended up dropping almost 2s off of my previous best, not sure how much of that is attributable to tyres (would be surprised they're that much quicker than the Cups, but perhaps the Cups are heat cycled out even though they still feel great), setup changes, additional experience, and applying tips from motorbike racing technique books... but pretty happy with the end result.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Matt. That's a supurb result. Im guessing that puts you in the mid/late 1.14s? To be that seem right for your experience and the car and the way its set up.

The Z221 is a great tyre. Definitely the best R compound of its type on the market today. I've been talking with Hankook this week. They dont advise mixing compounds. I think you have medium (C5) on rear and should have same on front. Essentially the compound relates to temperature. In our cooler months May-Dec C7 (soft) is perfect (under 20 degrees surface temp). C5 is best really only in months where ambient/surface temp is over 20C. may be why you are getting a funny feeling at front end.

Good to hear Petes on the C4 pace. I think he will be happy with that for hos first time out....
Old 10-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

From the Australian Hankook Catalogue
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2013, 05:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
That's ripe for an LS1 conversion... Awesome twilight run at Hampton Downs today, great to see Peter's new machine out and about (and already competitive lap times to the C4!). First time at HD since I fitted the Hankooks, took a few laps to get used to the strange turn-in sensation the soft compound fronts provide (had the same experience at Taupo last month), but ended up dropping almost 2s off of my previous best, not sure how much of that is attributable to tyres (would be surprised they're that much quicker than the Cups, but perhaps the Cups are heat cycled out even though they still feel great), setup changes, additional experience, and applying tips from motorbike racing technique books... but pretty happy with the end result.
I timed Peter at 1:19.61, with Michael in the passenger seat.! While it was on the iPhone and not with AIM accuracy, it's clear that Peter is moving to a new level.

Meanwhile, for me it was good of Steve to take my car out for the last, unfortunately sodden, session. Macca, he reported back that there's still a 3rd gear grind . Not sure how hard he was pushing it. Oh well a cheap experiment. At least now I know all my fluid statuses.

Steve also lent me the Recaro seat out of his RSR. Bad move as it feels very secure. However I think I'll be more realistic and go with a couple of classic seats. That and a harness bar will see me through the next few years. Steve also triggered the brake pad light. CCS reported that I have normal Porsche pads and that's what I'll put in again. Roll on 2 November.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:22 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Good to hear Petes on the C4 pace. I think he will be happy with that for hos first time out....
A whole lot of fun tonight - couldn't get the smile off after the first run! Totally different experience and a whole lot of learning still to happen.

First impressions - completely different feel on turn in, much sharper and more nimble - took a while to get used to it vs the C4 - opens up a whole lot of different lines - places you can't get too because of the C4's weight. A lot more 'chuckable.' Can carry a lot more speed through corners and brake later. Was a challenge adjusting braking points after the C4 - they were almost auto pilot so a fair bit of time to scrub off there.

Tyres were old RE55s and probably heat cycled plus have spent a fair bit of time not being used. Definitely some improvement available from tyres alone but a load more improvement available from the driver. Had a couple of 'ballerina' moments unfortunately - first one was just a case of trying too hard too soon - my mistake trying to hold pace with Steve.... 2nd was on the out lap after a downpour and just felt like ice - driving REAL slow around hairpin and zero grip. Came straight in after that one - no point staying out and being a menace. Only a C4 and 4WD Turbo out during that session - I should have taken note.

So best lap mid 19s in 3rd session out with car. So very happy with potential - definitely the right decision. Roll on the 2nd!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:33 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Default Nigel in his 986 GT3 hunting Steve

First time I've posted a YouTube video, hope I pasted the link above in correctly.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I timed Peter at 1:19.61, with Michael in the passenger seat.! While it was on the iPhone and not with AIM accuracy, it's clear that Peter is moving to a new level.

Meanwhile, for me it was good of Steve to take my car out for the last, unfortunately sodden, session. Macca, he reported back that there's still a 3rd gear grind . Not sure how hard he was pushing it. Oh well a cheap experiment. At least now I know all my fluid statuses.

Steve also lent me the Recaro seat out of his RSR. Bad move as it feels very secure. However I think I'll be more realistic and go with a couple of classic seats. That and a harness bar will see me through the next few years. Steve also triggered the brake pad light. CCS reported that I have normal Porsche pads and that's what I'll put in again. Roll on 2 November.
John, bugger about the oil, but it was worth a go as you say. I doubt it will cure my issue either, nor the semi-solid engine mounts, so its sounds like we are both up for some expensive gearbox work in the next year or so. I think I know what mine is - a lockout pin, $40 part and $2500 labor bill! Right now its probably only costing me 1.5-2.0s at Taupo and 1.0s at HD (guess) so until I improve my skills I can leave it on the table.

John. What are "classic" seats?

Pete. Great stuff. Sounds exactly as I expected (past 968 owner etc) but even better. Yes very different lines indeed. IMO much easier to drive and balance than a 911. Yes fresh C7 Z214s should give you 2's over the RE55s. There's probably another 1-1.5s in getting used to the platform. Gets you into the mid/low 1.16s where I expect you should be once it comes together. Seans best time at the Festival of Speed was 1.16.81 (from memory) in the 964 C2 so it definitely moves you well on from where a 964 road car could take you (with alot of fettling). I doubt the C4 would have cracked the 1.19 easily.

Sounds like the NITT definitely had a pay off in peoples skills and confidence. I know for me it tripled my track day experience and gave me much better understanding of what can be done with improved set up and more practice s- o I can see how its starting to come together for some of you Great stuff!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. I love that Harrys Lap timer on iPhone. Gives alot of useful info. The 996 GT3 sounds so sweet. Time doesn't look too bad but my bandwidth is poor - what was the tap time and top speed (1.18, 210kmph?). What was Steve driving. If the little 2.4S then he did really well keeping a good gap on the GT3...
Old 10-15-2013, 06:04 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Like others I had a great afternoon at Hampton Downs today... 1st time out with decent pads... The Pagid Orange pads were so good. I found that I was breaking too early and cruising through the corners until I got used to the new later brake points. They put out a lot less heat and zero fade on 17 minute runs. Dropped my PB by about 1.5 secs to 1:20.9 and I feel plenty of room for further improvement from later braking and better lines, esp on the hairpin which still doesn't feel like I've got very good. Very enjoyable but I didn't push my luck by going out after the heavy shower at the end... Felt like that was tempting fate :-)

Didn't have the video going for my best run but here's a sample:

Old 10-15-2013, 06:14 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug. I love that Harrys Lap timer on iPhone. Gives alot of useful info. The 996 GT3 sounds so sweet. Time doesn't look too bad but my bandwidth is poor - what was the tap time and top speed (1.18, 210kmph?). What was Steve driving. If the little 2.4S then he did really well keeping a good gap on the GT3...
Nigel is still getting used to the GT3. He only had my iPhone with Harrys lap timer for one run and he was consistently in the 1:16s and 1:17s. Best lap was 1:16.56 (the above video). Not happy with the handling for turns 2-3. I didn't pay much attention to Steve's car.... It was the one he usually runs. It's very light and very fast.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. Your laps look good. I think you will get in under 1.20 for sure next full day session at HD. Its good the brake pads have helped restore confidence - nothing worse than not knowing whats going to happen when you hit the middle pedal!

I managed to get Nigels lap to play. Yes I can see around 1.17 consistent which is good with a stock 996.1 GT3 given its new to him. Top speed looked like 210, again bout right given its not as powerful as Matts 6GT3.

Steve shows us what experience and car skills can do. That little car is probably only 220 bhp, but its light and nimble and he can keep up with anything well driven into the mid to 300 bhp level no worries!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:29 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice work boys. I was 90% joining you but the car was not right. Took the 964 for a long spin on Sunday to see if the power loss had been fully sorted with the replacement DME relay. Driving around town was fine but It was Stuttering at the top of the rev range under hard acceleration and still felt lethargic. Same as the last bit of Manfeild and the trip home. Ran OK but no guts. Dean sorted it out by finding a corroded plug for the knock sensor for one bank, so it looks like it was retarding. Fees good now though, but too late to join in. Hope that sorts it for good. I have trouble seeing past car issues and lose interest pretty quickly but we're good now.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Classic seats. I will go for the tall one. The challenge I gave Steve is bolt in.
Attached Images   
Old 10-15-2013, 06:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

In the meantime I will 'have' to live with this
Attached Images   
Old 10-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi John. I think you have made a better choice than using that A8 Recaro. Its way to heavy and its not period. The Classic seats in your picture sound like a reasonably sensible solution although they have no shoulder slots or submarine belt hole? Whats wrong with the Racetech or Recaro SPGs? Sean swears by the Sparco EVO and there are a few 993 drivers on RL tall like you who find this a very good seat indeed....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?