Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 01:08 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

whew, Just did a test day at Manfield int he rain for the Targa car. Had to get familiar with the big gearbox mod under speed not just around the roads. Time is now short and got get ready. Shared the pit garage shelter with the HD 6 hr winning Juno of David Glasson.
Car is fenetic to drive as things happening so fast as speed builds and shifts happening quick. Speed out of the sweeper onto the front straight was pretty slow in the wet and braking early as you might expect but still hit the over 195kph warning light installed for targa. You guys that have just been on the NITT know the layout.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:10 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

couple of picss

Last edited by gt38088; 10-27-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:05 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Juno looks lovely. I had a deposit on a Westfield XTR2 a while back and pulled out when teh exchange rate turned to custard and bought the Saker instead. Great cars though. Went for a ride in the Auckland based XTR2 and it was phenominal experience.

Re: Gearbox oil. Here's a recent reply to the threads mentioned earlier.

"Old thread here but thought I would report ....I just put in Redline 75w90NS at the recommendation of this thread into my new to me 49K mile C2S ..... While the shift quality wasnt bad before, the shift quality is now totally smooth and sublime. Thanks all!"
Old 10-12-2013, 03:08 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Hey Macca, after hours of reading rennlist and planet9 Boxster and Cayman racing forums I wondered why there was so much talk of race pads and nothing about front brake cooling. Quite a few posts about rear cooling and upgrading rear cooling with 997/tt/gt3 cooling ducts. So I got down on my hands and knees, rammed my cheek on the concrete and tried to look under the front of the car. The only thing I could easily make out were these wicked big brake cooling scoops! No wonder! Looks like they're already there by design :-)

I couldn't make out much at the read end. Wish I'd had a better look while it was on the hoist at Motorscience earlier in the week.

Tomorrow I'm changing to my track wheels so will be able to have a better look with the car jacked up and the wheel off. Will try to take some pics.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Doug, my 964 has deflector plates that project below the car and direct air to the brakes. Macca told me they're normal. Are you talking about ducting or deflecting plates?
Old 10-12-2013, 05:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Doug, my 964 has deflector plates that project below the car and direct air to the brakes. Macca told me they're normal. Are you talking about ducting or deflecting plates?
Yip. They are factory standard and also on the 993. They clip onto the front A arm from memory. I suspect the Boxster has similar from factory. They dont do alot unfortunately (or you wouldn't be having these issues).

I did a cursory search and found some lads in the USA had plumbed cooling ducts from the front lower bumper apertures (behind the grill) through the inner guard liner (like I have) and then strapped the cooling pipes to A arm and removed backing plate. Works a treat. Will find those again and post pics...
Old 10-12-2013, 05:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
That Juno looks lovely. I had a deposit on a Westfield XTR2 a while back and pulled out when teh exchange rate turned to custard and bought the Saker instead. Great cars though. Went for a ride in the Auckland based XTR2 and it was phenominal experience.

Re: Gearbox oil. Here's a recent reply to the threads mentioned earlier.

"Old thread here but thought I would report ....I just put in Redline 75w90NS at the recommendation of this thread into my new to me 49K mile C2S ..... While the shift quality wasnt bad before, the shift quality is now totally smooth and sublime. Thanks all!"
Thanks for the headup on the Redline oil mate! I know you did a tonne of research on this so it was nice to piggy back someone elses learning for once. We ordered enough for two gearboxes (John and I 2 x 1 gallon packs) and it will arrive Monday at CCS and be installed in both our cars next week. Total cost including freight and GST $128 each. As a guide a factory fill (Mobil) was around $80. Worth it if it improves the shifts for John on the track in a week or so and he will bee the first to report back. NZ importer a delight to deal with, now knows who RSG are and keeps this stuff on the shelf - something tells me they will need to stock up!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul, Thanks so much for that weight list. I like collecting references like that and that one was the most detailed and comprehensive I have seen. Do you know which vintage 911 it referred to?
Old 10-12-2013, 05:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
whew, Just did a test day at Manfield int he rain for the Targa car. Had to get familiar with the big gearbox mod under speed not just around the roads. Time is now short and got get ready. Shared the pit garage shelter with the HD 6 hr winning Juno of David Glasson.
Car is fenetic to drive as things happening so fast as speed builds and shifts happening quick. Speed out of the sweeper onto the front straight was pretty slow in the wet and braking early as you might expect but still hit the over 195kph warning light installed for targa. You guys that have just been on the NITT know the layout.
Grahame. Looks bloody wonderful mate. I just love that track but no experience of it in the wet. What is your weight and power in the WRX? Id imagine dry laps at Manfield in that thing would be 1.17? (assumes 1250kg, 380 bhp etc). 195 in the wet down the front strait is hauling it. Only the GT3 and 996TT exceeded 200 in the dry whist we were there....
Old 10-12-2013, 05:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Only two weeks to go Graeme. Im very jealous! Will be joining you next year 100%. Will be bringing some RSG bros along (Paul, Doug, Pete M and maybe more).....take it easy out there and bring it home whole!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. My internet is on a go slow. General reading indicated that there is relatively little product off the shelf available for the Boxster, not due to the volume sold but i suspect due to the volume of them seriously used on track. It appears you are strange fruit, you boxster owning track junkies (but you knew that!). That said the Cayman product has helped in terms of experience on track and development off products. What I read is that the boxster/cayman S of your generation does suffer regularly from brakes overheating at the track. It appears the rears shoulder as much of teh abuse as the fronts. From what I read those plastic A arm deflectors work ok but are fragile and will get broken on fast road undulations (i.e. Targa Tour). I can back this up as I cracked one of mine on the tour! People seem to think the 997 GT3 scoop as below works well for rear disc ventilation. So a combination of both front and rear plastic scoops can be purchased for around $450 USD and installed easily and that may well reduce some of the heat you are getting significantly enough to allow 6-8 track days from standard pads. The few people whom appear to have prepared a Cayman or Boxster for serious competition seem to have fabricated their own ventilated brake backing discs from alloy and plumbed these via a flexi hose drawing air from behind front bumper factory inlets. I will post some pics of those too....
Attached Images   
Old 10-12-2013, 07:03 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

re ducting. Think I may have posted this before. Ducting on the Targa car. what you can't see is the end behind the rotor. There is a metal part directing air right into the centre of the rotor (not onto one side of the outside surface) where the rotational speed of the wheel spinning picks up the air and it exits out the vane holes at the circumference outer edge. This means both sides of the rotor are being cooled equally.

Will certainly be taking due care Macca thx. Had too many hard lessons. Not many in restricted class this year so whilst its fun to race against the unrestricted boys some with 100hp more its not really good sense to take that too far. Of course there is always a few tricky corners waiting to catch out the unwary. re weight its a lot heavier due to a number of things. A hefty sump guard plate, spare wheel, jack, tow rope - all things that wouldn't be there on a track car. also a surge tank with another 4 litres of fuel - plus another high pressure pump and associated plumbing in the boot, which in turn also means the boot must be sealed off so more aluminium sheet. 2 in the car we are probably mainly 1500-1600 depending on fuel load during the rally

Last edited by gt38088; 10-27-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:13 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug. My internet is on a go slow. General reading indicated that there is relatively little product off the shelf available for the Boxster, not due to the volume sold but i suspect due to the volume of them seriously used on track. It appears you are strange fruit, you boxster owning track junkies (but you knew that!). That said the Cayman product has helped in terms of experience on track and development off products. What I read is that the boxster/cayman S of your generation does suffer regularly from brakes overheating at the track. It appears the rears shoulder as much of teh abuse as the fronts. From what I read those plastic A arm deflectors work ok but are fragile and will get broken on fast road undulations (i.e. Targa Tour). I can back this up as I cracked one of mine on the tour! People seem to think the 997 GT3 scoop as below works well for rear disc ventilation. So a combination of both front and rear plastic scoops can be purchased for around $450 USD and installed easily and that may well reduce some of the heat you are getting significantly enough to allow 6-8 track days from standard pads. The few people whom appear to have prepared a Cayman or Boxster for serious competition seem to have fabricated their own ventilated brake backing discs from alloy and plumbed these via a flexi hose drawing air from behind front bumper factory inlets. I will post some pics of those too....
Thanks Macca. How come I can look for ages on the rennlist forums and not find this good stuff? :-( Is there a way to go into a forum (eg 987-981 forum) and just search that forum. When I search, eg brake cooling it seems to search the whole site, not the actual forum you are in. I've found a few regular 987 track addicts so we're not a completely rare breed, ha ha.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:17 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm talking about the stock deflecting plates something like the first of the two photos Macca posted.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:20 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

re times. I find the car in targa trim never feels good on track (in dry) but better on rally. Needs much stiffer springs and more aggressive geo for track so probably struggling to beat 1.20. Gearing is bit too low - I found was driving around Higgins, and sweeper in 4th

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?