Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 07:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

My house is 30 years old and renovating is a work in progress, but I can make it 90% of the performance of a new build without going crazy. The last 10% doesn't make sense financially and I don't want a cookie cutter house or the pressure of keeping something perfect so I'm happy.

My C4 is the same proposition. I was driving a Peugeot 405 when the C4 was brand new so it was an aspirational car then and that is sill ingrained in my 51 year old mind. It still does a high percentage of new car performance and I can make it my own. I enjoy the process of improving it but I'm not restoring it.

That all said, there is only the time and resource for so many of these projects. I've reached it now.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul. I used to feel that way too. But life is too short to leave them in the garage and I vowed Ill only drive my 911s now not park them, even for everyday duties.

Everyone is different and I know I have a pretty unique perspective as I don't lead a "typical NZ lifestyle" but I think also its a bit of an age and experience thing. I'm 5 years older than you and I have owned a few Porsche's. Believe me I didn't feel this way 5 years ago, but times change as do hobbies, lifestyle and how you view material possessions.

You cant compare a 991S to a 2.8RS. A 991S is a daily driver (heck even my 993 I bought as a DD back in the day). The 2.8RS is a definite Sunday drive. You's go mental getting it up the steep driveway on a cold morning in winter or waiting for the gearbox to warm or ticket booth at underground carpark etc. As much as I love the idea of owning one it would never be a DD for me.

Yeah, I get the old cars are "cool" etc although it s a very fashionable thing. IMHO the 993 and 964 have always been "cool" but I notice now the journalists say it is so it has become fact. Yeah they are lovely to look at and they sound great etc I have no doubt.

But if I had only the choice between driving a 911 (say 997) every day of my existence VS a 911 (say long hood) for driving only fine days and holidays - I would opt for a 997S over a 1972T without hesitation! Driving 911s is better than perving at 911s IMHO.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
My house is 30 years old and renovating is a work in progress, but I can make it 90% of the performance of a new build without going crazy. The last 10% doesn't make sense financially and I don't want a cookie cutter house or the pressure of keeping something perfect so I'm happy.

My C4 is the same proposition. I was driving a Peugeot 405 when the C4 was brand new so it was an aspirational car then and that is sill ingrained in my 51 year old mind. It still does a high percentage of new car performance and I can make it my own. I enjoy the process of improving it but I'm not restoring it.

That all said, there is only the time and resource for so many of these projects. I've reached it now.
Here here. Its always interesting learning another persons perspective. Ive read similar debates on many RL boards. Things change with time, the only constant is how short life is. People think that us hyperbole as well, right up to the point they do not (at which time for many it is the final chapter!). I (like many others) have been through the "multiple Porsche phase". It suits some and not others, and again views change with time. Im now very much at the "one ring to rule them all" phase (no Frodo jokes please) and as Im finishing the ultimate "do all old Skool new skool hot rod" phase Im about to put it up against the "brand new tech laden all encompassing GT performance machine". Only one car will remain in the garage at the end but I have to be honest - I really dont know right now which one it will be! Obviously I expect the 993 but Im starting to think the GT3 works much better with my lifestyle.

I will probably/possibly never spend more than a few days a year in NZ after all. The thing is Im voting with my money. I can buy a mint 964RS or a 993RS or a 997.2GT3RS or even a 911S or maybe resto case 2.7RS for the cash I pay for the 991 GT3. This isnt on dealer finance, I have an open field of choices, Im not below average IQ and I have thought hard about how I need a 911 to fit my life. Its an interesting real world experience.

Look at it like this guys. Im just beating a path for you all for later and doing the recce LOL! Seriously though, Im certain (as much as it may seem unlikely) many of you will go through similar thought processes in the future...
Old 10-21-2013, 08:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Says it all
Attached Images   
Old 10-21-2013, 08:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, last Sunday I visited ex neighbours at their new home, Selwyn Retirement Village in Point Chevalier. It brought home brutally that life is a one way journey. At 51, I'm more than halfway. At some stage the resources, interest and/or capability to enjoy the car hobby will go. That's when I'll look back at what's left, memories. Right now, I'm pretty happy with how it's going. I just want sub 1:20 in the C4 at HD before I can say I did 100%.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
At some stage the resources, interest and/or capability to enjoy the car hobby will go. That's when I'll look back at what's left, memories. Right now, I'm pretty happy with how it's going. I just want sub 1:20 in the C4 at HD before I can say I did 100%.
John. So true! Lets face it we wont be pushing the car hard on track in 25 years time. Bring on 1.20 HD, but more importantly make it heaps of (safe) fun getting there!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:36 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I feel rather junior in light of recent conversations. I'm 34 and have owned my first Porsche for all of 1 month tomorrow. Your comments have reinforced the belief that I made the right choice in buying it; life is much too short to settle, best to enjoy it while you can.

As an aside, have any of you had experience replacing the PCM unit in a 1st gen 997 (with Bose audio) with an after market model? Looking through the forum there's lots of talk of Alpine (limited integration) and Pioneer (almost full integration) as options. The Pioneer seems to be the best bet but the models recommended by our US counterparts are not available in NZ, and have US specific Nav.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yellow 360 - 996 Turbo

Originally Posted by PHG
cheers, I'll PM you
I too like watching the rise and fall. you got the same issue?
Yep, first it was intermittently unreliable (just needed the microswitch up top of the rams reseated now and then) then too much fluid seeped out and it would fail with the wing up at an odd angle for a few days before going out altogether.

Originally Posted by PHG
Did you play swapseys after the sweeper..how'ed you do that?
In short, went in too hot, drifted the corner, spun at exit.

Long version:

Bit distracted by a Cup car dancing in my rearview mirror coming into the sweeper so ran in too deep and hot, running onto the marbles of spent rubber out wide under brakes. Too greedy trying to save my exit speed so looked to still turn in a bit earlier than was wise and trail-braked more than the dirty surface allowed. The back stepped out so I transitioned quickly from brake to throttle with a swipe of opposite lock. Drifted almost all of turn 10 out wide at about 45 degrees but realised my trajectory would take me off track near the normal track-out point.

Since the Turbo throws more torque to the front wheels if the rears are spinning, I figured a bit more power should pull the front back in line and let me recover to then tighten my line. Instead, the back came around rapidly approaching 90 degrees and with insuffficient track to even try and catch it I threw the transmission into neutral and started to brake. Got a great view of the front of the other car as I arced around so obviously hadn't lost much speed while drifting through the turn.

Another half a spin and I came to rest facing the right way in front of the marshall's stand on the inside of the corner. The transmission was only giving me a box full of neutral so I cycled the ignition and it came right (since learned that the 996T's sensors trigger this neutral mode in a spin to protect the tranny). Tested the car a bit up the straight but all was fine so back to race pace and had fun passing some back markers.

The driver of that following car later told me he thought I'd make it all the way through. Next time I'll just treat her like a rear wheel drive and look to end the drift by lifting and throwing in opposite lock when she comes back around.

With ABS and PASM active she'd probably react differently but mine were both faulting out completely that day, so not even activating under brakes. I hate PASM at speed on a dry track anyway as it just sledges you forwards instead of letting you tighten the line with a bit of slip.

Originally Posted by PHG
I do like the look of your car, the Yellow kind of grows..the recent pics posted on this thread of the GT3 look great
Thanks. It wouldn't be my choice ex-factory but I do love it now. The first time I had it down to Hampton the yellow just looked so right in the sea of blues and greys. Sets off the black bits and she shows up better in those fast lane rear view mirrors too...

Name:  Hampton P2 13jul2013.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  40.1 KB

Last edited by 996tnz; 10-21-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-21-2013, 09:58 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, if anyone knows who took the false grid picture of my car above, I'd love to have the full res version.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Hey Chaps, did you see the NZ new 993 Targa manual at Turners?

http://turners.co.nz/Cars/Search/Porsche/911/11482473/

127,000kms.

AUCTION ESTIMATE: $49,000 - $51,000
This has now been pulled from Turners. This was the said car:

http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?partner...s&plate=BRAIN3
Old 10-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
I feel rather junior in light of recent conversations. I'm 34 and have owned my first Porsche for all of 1 month tomorrow. Your comments have reinforced the belief that I made the right choice in buying it; life is much too short to settle, best to enjoy it while you can.

As an aside, have any of you had experience replacing the PCM unit in a 1st gen 997 (with Bose audio) with an after market model? Looking through the forum there's lots of talk of Alpine (limited integration) and Pioneer (almost full integration) as options. The Pioneer seems to be the best bet but the models recommended by our US counterparts are not available in NZ, and have US specific Nav.
Welcome aboard and congrats on the turbo. My first Porsche was purchased 13 years ago when I was a "youngin" too (30) and its still in my avatar. I still have it! Hopefully you'll enjoy yours that long too! Enjoy
Old 10-21-2013, 11:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The first serious look I had was a 1979 911 Targa in 1990 when I was 28. The $39,000 was in my price range but I sensed I couldn't afford to own one so passed (based on the C4 I was absolutely right I couldn't have afforded it). I didn't buy the Turbo 3.6 until I was 39. BTW this marque has a number of people attracted by the supposed affordability of its older cars. They won't spend the money required to keep them in good shape; that's a reason why so many 964s are money pits. You will pay one way or another. Find a good one and it will be a joy.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:45 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
This has now been pulled from Turners. This was the said car:

http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?partner...s&plate=BRAIN3
Shame I missed the listing. Anyone save a pic from the Turners site? I'd always loved the thought of a 993 manual Targa! Although if the roof has issues in my ownership I'd probably feel otherwise from what I have read!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:41 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regrettably I have had to pull out of the 2 Nov meet. All going well will see you at the 1st birthday party (if not for a tube before then).
Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crikey...

http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-fo...2-for-sale-468

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?